GoPro Experts

General Chat about the forum, it's members & their trucks.
Snafu
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Xterra S
Year: 2007
Tim's: Double milk - no sugar

GoPro Experts

Post by Snafu »

I got a GoPro Hero4 Silver and wondered if anyone had suggestions on mounts, cables, cards, etc.

I have the app for the tablet and I am able to control the camera through the app. I also grabbed the desktop app but the coputer is having trouble finding it...the computer sees it as a device but there is a problem with the driver (the driver from windows automatic update does not work and GoPro does not seem to offer a driver).

I see they will be coming out with a drone for the GoPro...this should be fun!
Worlds Greatest Acronym:
A.D.O.S.S: Attention Deficit Oooooo Something Shiny! (thanks Simon!)

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: Medium Regular

Re: GoPro Experts

Post by Adam »

I have the same one. I have the suction cup mount, and used it on a trail run in Nov. I was too paranoid to put it outside the truck, though apparently they're tested up to 150mph.

I have a 64gb card and it gives 4 hours of 4k I believe. I mainly record in 1080. I also have the selfie stick pole-thing, and the clamp mount (would go on the bar of the ARB bumper).

I don't use the app, I find it kind of buggy to be honest and it kept crashing when I used it.

Best thing to do is play around with it. They take great video and I was even using mine as a dashcam for a while, lol.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
Snafu

Post by Snafu »

Thanks Adam. I noticed the connection to the tablet was not the greatest. In such a small package you can't expect everything.
Worlds Greatest Acronym:

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.
Yorkdiver
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Nissan xTerra Pro4x
Year: 2011
Tim's: Large One Milk

Post by Yorkdiver »

I'll have to check when I get home, but I have an awesome claw style mount for my Garmin VIRB. Once you align it properly, just tighten up the locking screw and it's really solid. All depends on where you want to mount it. I put mine on the passenger holy poop handle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Snafu

Post by Snafu »

Thanks! Lots of options for mounting with the right base but that claw sounds good
Worlds Greatest Acronym:

Yorkdiver
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by Yorkdiver »

Snafu

Post by Snafu »

Thanks. That looks like a cool site.
Worlds Greatest Acronym:

Yorkdiver
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by Yorkdiver »

Another one that I love is gpscentral.ca

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Class 10 cards are required. I heard of issues using non-approved cards, so I stick with Sandisk Extreme.

It's normal that Windows doesn't see it correctly, but the software does.

I have used the suction cup outside, but I have a backup string attached to and to a point on the truck it just in case it decides to let go.

I've had issues with the App, but I found upgrading the firmware on the camera helped a lot, but using Wi-Fi drains the battery hella quick. I made a modified mini-USB cable and ran an extension outside of the truck to keep it charged up on the trail for the day. Worked great and using the app, we could see what it was seeing and turn the camera on and off throughout the day on the obstacles we wanted to record and save on memory space, but even then, I keep on me in case and and have dumped the card to my laptop when it gets too full. I've used the helmet mount once or twice, the selfie stick is definitely handy for those hard to reach shots, and the tube mount for up front on the brush guard. I picked up a second GoPro and was able to do a nice video of AW Picard Lake in 2015 by mashing up both the bumper cam and the stick cam that the girlfriend was recording with
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
Snafu

Post by Snafu »

I was using the card supplied so it should be okay. It is read with a card reader.

The software does not see it. Windows does recognise it as a connected device but you cannot access it due to bad driver (likely supplied to MS by GoPro). Going through their helpdesk to get this sorted out and need to follow their procedure (likely the same as followed before but doing it again might help).

I did notice the wifi connection drains the battery faster than you would think and is not a great connection.

Not sure how to connect the usb when it is in the case. I will have to look at your set-up. It does come with an extra battery and charger (for two batteries). So I could keep one charged in the truck and swap it out when it drains.

I have not had much of a chance to use it. I thought it would work at night but nope...just some video of the centre line.
Worlds Greatest Acronym:

Miner
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Cummins 2500 HD
Year: 2012
Tim's: McD's 3C1S

Post by Miner »

Use the app or the screen on the camera to align the camera and then turn all that off to conserve the battery. The apps are probably good for shooting photos and multiple short videos but I wouldn't use them for running trails, or other longer shots.

I use the suction cup mount (with a tether), helmet mount (side mounted at eye level), and a handful of clamp on bar mounts. I think the helmet mount is my favorite, followed by a bar mount on the handle bar or a brush guard.
Cummins - Zone, BD, AFE, Yokohama, Bestop, Access, VisonX, H&S
Simon wrote:It's not like the membership voted under control of a heavy hand...

Dammit, I've said too much...I'll have to ban you now
Miner
Make/Model: Cummins 2500 HD
Year: 2012
Tim's: McD's 3C1S

Post by Miner »

Note - My Hero 2 doesn't like the cold. Battery life is about 30% of normal when on a sled at XXX kph.
Cummins - Zone, BD, AFE, Yokohama, Bestop, Access, VisonX, H&S
Simon wrote:It's not like the membership voted under control of a heavy hand...

Dammit, I've said too much...I'll have to ban you now
Snafu

Post by Snafu »

Thanks Josh. The GoPro probably lasted longer than my digital tape camcorder strapped to the hood of my sled. I lost the battery on that trial and nearly lost the camcorder. All for a noisy blank video...lol

Have you tried putting the camera behind the windshield on the sled?
Worlds Greatest Acronym:

Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I did this mod, but made a small slit and squeezed it through the door of the waterproof case

http://www.instructables.com/id/Modify- ... losed-GoP/

I should see about a better mod. The mini USB cables don't last too long, they're too fragile, but this is the exact setup I used at AW 2015 for my front cam and it worked great.
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
963rdgen
I'm learning to use 4-hi
Make/Model: Toyota 4runner
Year: 1996
Tim's: Chili.

Post by 963rdgen »

You can buy all types of accessories on Amazon for cheap. You can get every type of mount for cheap on there. If you're planning on doing videos with walking or moving you can always look into the Karma Grip, I picked one up and it provides amazing smooth footage
Snafu

Post by Snafu »

Thanks. I actually did buy some stuff from amazon. Next year I hope to mount it outside the truck (too much glare from inside) but I want to use a tether just in case it gets dislodged and land in a deep mud puddle (my luck).
Worlds Greatest Acronym: