Forum was just upgraded to the latest version of phpBB. If you have any issues please report them to the admins or moderators. Enjoy!

Spring!

General Chat about the forum, it's members & their trucks.
Bow_Tied
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Re: Spring!

Post by Bow_Tied »

Adam wrote:
Bow_Tied wrote:I hear that!! Had a trailer for 10 years, not looking back lol. Maybe if it was just me (and a budget to really gear up well) but with the family I want the glamping style; don't need my vacation to be work too.
I've gone back and forth on getting a trailer, but I like keeping my footprint small and being able to just leave. I don't have kids though, so there's that. I think if I got anything, I'd get something I could tow the Xterra with.
If I were in your shoes I’d mod my rig to sleep in it and be done with it. Make a bed on a draw system. The most I might do would be to get a mini enclosed utility trailer just to increase gear hauling for convenient storage so you don’t have to wheel chocked to the roof. Now if you want to wheel/camp on the trail/multiday then a mini off road trailer that’d take a RTT would be cool.

But you are right, taking the fam/kids changes the dynamics a lot. If it was just me or just me and the mrs then the above alucab set up would be pretty sweet.

I have also thought of modifying an X in the same way the VW westfalia campers are. Lotta work tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 2
Make/Model: Jeep JKUR
Year: 2013
Tim's: Med 2 milks 1 sugar

Post by the x kid »

Or get a teardrop trailer

mstevey
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Xterra Pro-4X
Year: 2014
Tim's: Lg green tea, double milk

Post by mstevey »

Speaking of spring and the days finally getting longer (goodbye seasonal effective disorder), some days lately it's full sunshine outside and my X still thinks it's night time and turns the headslights on (day/night auto feature). Does anyone else experience this? Is there any adjustment for this? I've cleaned the sensor and cleaned the glass. Doensn't seem to change.
Adam
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

Bow_Tied wrote:
Adam wrote:
I've gone back and forth on getting a trailer, but I like keeping my footprint small and being able to just leave. I don't have kids though, so there's that. I think if I got anything, I'd get something I could tow the Xterra with.
If I were in your shoes I’d mod my rig to sleep in it and be done with it. Make a bed on a draw system. The most I might do would be to get a mini enclosed utility trailer just to increase gear hauling for convenient storage so you don’t have to wheel chocked to the roof. Now if you want to wheel/camp on the trail/multiday then a mini off road trailer that’d take a RTT would be cool.

But you are right, taking the fam/kids changes the dynamics a lot. If it was just me or just me and the mrs then the above alucab set up would be pretty sweet.

I have also thought of modifying an X in the same way the VW westfalia campers are. Lotta work tho.

I thought about modding it to sleep in, but I do use it often enough for work, or moving poop around at home that it would annoy me having the loss of space or moving it out each time. I got a really small tent for Xmas for solo camping and have been eying a RTT of some sort as well.

Kids are a long ways off, for me at least, if ever. But the girl I'm seeing right now likes camping so maybe that will be a plus lol.

So my friend who works at a body shop has offered to do my rockers for me. That's new outers (I supplied), and fabricated inners for $1800, welded, sealed, and painted. I'm going to drop the coin to just be rid of that eyesore on the truck and save me 2 months of weekends messing with it!

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
Bow_Tied

Post by Bow_Tied »

Adam wrote:
Bow_Tied wrote:If I were in your shoes I’d mod my rig to sleep in it and be done with it. Make a bed on a draw system. The most I might do would be to get a mini enclosed utility trailer just to increase gear hauling for convenient storage so you don’t have to wheel chocked to the roof. Now if you want to wheel/camp on the trail/multiday then a mini off road trailer that’d take a RTT would be cool.

I thought about modding it to sleep in, but I do use it often enough for work, or moving poop around at home that it would annoy me having the loss of space or moving it out each time. I got a really small tent for Xmas for solo camping and have been eying a RTT of some sort as well.

Kids are a long ways off, for me at least, if ever. But the girl I'm seeing right now likes camping so maybe that will be a plus lol.

So my friend who works at a body shop has offered to do my rockers for me. That's new outers (I supplied), and fabricated inners for $1800, welded, sealed, and painted. I'm going to drop the coin to just be rid of that eyesore on the truck and save me 2 months of weekends messing with it!
Good call on the rockers. Your time has value too.

#MoreRon

Adam

Post by Adam »

Yeah it does. And I know my limits. I CAN do it, but it won't look as good or last near as long. Besides, good to help out friends who are probably slow with work right now.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
Adam

Post by Adam »

We have rockers! Now just to take care of that wheel arch. Shockingly, the other side is perfect.

Bow_Tied

Post by Bow_Tied »

Doing the wheel arch yourself?
#MoreRon

Adam

Post by Adam »

Nick is going to do it if he has time, he said. He thinks his work is just closed for this week, but I think he'll have tons of time lol... Otherwise I will attempt it myself. The paint I will do for sure, but it might be hard to find matching paint as duplicolor doesn't make it and I think the body shop supply place is closed right now. He is painting the rockers with POR15 and then rocker guard.

Bow_Tied

Post by Bow_Tied »

Get some big flares to cover your (lack of) paint match. :D
#MoreRon

Adam

Post by Adam »

Haha the small one should cover most of it. If anything there might be a small line or I will try and polish the hell out of it to blend it.

Adam

Post by Adam »

Here are some more pics, passenger side is done and on to the drivers side.

Adam

Post by Adam »

I opted to cut the front fender, the tires rubbed that lower section anyways. And now the rocker is actually almost an inch shorter so the tire will clear with no rub!

Bow_Tied

Post by Bow_Tied »

The black rocker looks good.
#MoreRon

the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by the x kid »

Black does look good. Is that the por 15?

Adam

Post by Adam »

It's POR 15 and then rocker guard on top. You can't leave the POR uncoated if it is exposed to the sun, it'll fade light crazy.

Found some more rust, the sunroof drain was clogged and the water pooled on the floor:

Bow_Tied

Post by Bow_Tied »

nice work
#MoreRon

the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by the x kid »

That doesn’t look good

Drizit
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Jeep LJ
Year: 2006
Tim's: Large 2 cream

Post by Drizit »

Bow_Tied wrote:
Adam wrote:
Also Morpheus needs to start on his SAS so I can obtain a locker.
?
Blame Drizit.
Yah on I'll take that one.
Phil0110
Make/Model: Pickup
Year: 1988
Tim's: Coffee

Post by Phil0110 »

Autumn is coming, it's time to check the oil level.