Forum was just upgraded to the latest version of phpBB. If you have any issues please report them to the admins or moderators. Enjoy!

Roof Top Tents

Camping, trail gear, recovery, gps, and related accessories.
rcafcoburn
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Nissan Xterra Pro4X
Year: 2015
Tim's: Coffee w/a shot of milk

Roof Top Tents

Post by rcafcoburn »

Hey guys,

Recently I've been pondering the idea of picking up an RTT for camping.
Do you have one? What are your impressions of it? Did you pick it up in Canada?
Do you think it's worth the investment?

I've only seen a couple places who carry/distribute in Canada and if I do get one, would want to avoid importing from the States... damn duty fees.
Snafu
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Xterra S
Year: 2007
Tim's: Double milk - no sugar

Re: Roof Top Tents

Post by Snafu »

nd4spd has one. They are pretty cool but the downside is setting it up and packing it away every day before you hit the trails.

nd4spd is making a trailer to put his on. Search Fronty trailer if you are looking for ideas ;)
Worlds Greatest Acronym:
A.D.O.S.S: Attention Deficit Oooooo Something Shiny! (thanks Simon!)

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.
Morpheus
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2003
Tim's: 3x3

Post by Morpheus »

The other issue with them is a lot of the wheeling areas we go in, the trees are low enough to damage them.

They're great for the Australian outback, to keep you off the ground with the snakes and whatnot!
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 2
Make/Model: Jeep JKUR
Year: 2013
Tim's: Med 2 milks 1 sugar

Post by the x kid »

There are some hard top one's. Much better for wheeling, but could still get damaged.
Snafu
Make/Model: Xterra S
Year: 2007
Tim's: Double milk - no sugar

Post by Snafu »

A small pop-up trailer (essentially a tent on a trailer) with added clearance would be better ;)
Worlds Greatest Acronym:
A.D.O.S.S: Attention Deficit Oooooo Something Shiny! (thanks Simon!)

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Heh, indeed. I've had it for almost as long as I've had the truck, so almost 7 years I've had the tent. I picked it up through Titan Winch, but I don't think he deals with them, or anything anymore. His site is pretty bare...

You can get them through Autohome Canada, but there are other options. There's a few used on Kijii right now, but even then, there are a few ads for new tens as well:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-trailer/mi ... nFlag=true
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-achat-et-vente-d ... nFlag=true

Personally, I love it. It's solid, I'd stayed in mine (with the flaps down) in heavy storms and it didn't feel at all like it was going to come apart, while we watched other people's tents and shelters tear apart, collapse, or even just fold in.

The thing is waterproof, so I've woken up and never even realized that it may of rained during the night, but with that, I need to keep flaps open, cause otherwise there will be condensation inside from my breath.

The guys at AW have seen the pros and cons of the tent first hand. They see me have to take it down every morning to hit the trails, and put it back up at night to sleep, but on the nights where we do the blindfold run, it stays packed until after that so that my truck can participate. And once your setup, you got to think; do you need to do errands? Is the washroom/shower far to walk? It's ok when I was single, I even brought my bike with me so use around the park, but having a girlfriend, they need a little more comfort and have a few more needs, so having the truck tied down becomes more of an issue...reason for the trailer project becoming a priority.

The tent clearance on the trails hasn't really been an issue, although everyone was always concerned, but once there was a storm that affect the area and BobC was hit hard. There was a HUGE downed tree across the trail. I think some had to tweak what was on their roofs. I don't remember what Morpheous had to remove off his rack, even broke a light? However, I had to remove my tent completely, drive under, and reinstall the tent. It's not a big job, 5min+5min, and I'd say I didn't hold up people for long, especially while they were working on clearing the tree as well, but it's the single and only time that the tent was a restriction.

The cover does get fragile over time as it's exposed to the sun. I've replaced it once two years ago. Got it custom done by a local canvas shop and chose black to match. I had initially went to order one from Titan Winch, and it's a long (6 month)wait, but he threatened to sell it to someone else because he didn't want to wait the few weeks for me to swing by to pick it up, after I waited for months for it to come in, so I let him. I didn't want to pay to ship it for *his* convenience, I was driving right by!

I do LOVE the hard top ones. I see them once in a while. I saw one on a Fusion this past winter (I hope they had heat) (I have a pic but it was dark and it's blurry), and there's this one I saw at a Wendy's in St Catharines a few years ago
Image.
But I do see the hard top ones much, much more then my style. CVT and Tepui are very popular models, I see them on the net a lot. Actually I saw an Xterra with a Tepui late last year in Kingston, but didn't get a pic.

And for sleeping, I find it great. The girls seem to find it much more comfortable then they thought it could be, but my current girlfriend has a herniated disc, she finds it ok for a night or two, but we are looking at a better mattress option for her back. While they're suited for the outback, not sleeping on a wet or uneven ground is great. I just love the waterproof material, and that it block out the morning heat and the tent doesn't turn into a mini sun at 6am when the sun hits it; makes for a much better sleep. Also with all he sides open for air and makes great shade for those mid day naps.

While I am building a trailer to deal with the short comings of the RTT, because life changes, I still did 7 years with it and enjoyed it. It's not for everyone, but it's a great piece of kit.

2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
rcafcoburn
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by rcafcoburn »

That's quite the write-up, thanks!

I have seen the fronty trailer. Great idea :)
I was actually thinking of doing something similar. I have a small boat trailer which I was thinking of turning into a multipurpose trailer by fabricating a removable "Roofrack" system that can bolt onto the frame, while (hopefully) still carrying my boat underneath. I have a great plan in my head, I just need someone with skills... and some funds to start building it.

I have considered the ordeal of packing up when you have take the truck out for firewood, washroom, etc, but most of my camping trips (when car camping) are done with 2 or more vehicles and we end up loading up one car to go do our errands.

The point of wheeling with the RTT on was a good thing to mention, as I didn't really think of that. Roof clearance is pretty important and a $1500 investment shouldn't be stuck up there to be mangled...

For the most part, a trailer seems to be the best idea to carry an RTT. Can just park it and forget it.
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 2
Make/Model: Jeep JKUR
Year: 2013
Tim's: Med 2 milks 1 sugar

Post by the x kid »

Wait a minute. Can't you get one of those m-101 army trailers. There must be a hundred around the base.
buttsy
Make/Model: Xterra 4x4 SC
Year: 2004
Tim's: L 1c

Post by buttsy »

They DO just leave them sitting around by the hundreds... Been a while since I was in Borden, but I used to know where.
I can wire anything directly into anything... I'm the PROFESSOR
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Check out Expedition Portal, there's a trailer section. There's a large portion of the trailer builds that are based off of military trailers. I think good ones run around $1500 12v converted I think. Talk to Miner, he's looked around and even bought one, but the larger M105 rather then the M101. Also check out https://www.gcsurplus.ca regularly for auctions.
Last edited by Nd4SpdSe on Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
rcafcoburn
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by rcafcoburn »

Yeah I've heard about the trailers. I don't see them around base often, but I have seen some parked from time to time.

My neighbour is/was EME, so I could probably talk to him about getting one that's on it's way out. Only problem is I would need actual physical money to purchase it lol.
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nd4SpdSe »