Forum was just upgraded to the latest version of phpBB. If you have any issues please report them to the admins or moderators. Enjoy!

What Mods to do?

What's new & exciting on your truck?
gravyboat
I'm learning to use 4-hi
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: XTerra Off Road
Year: 2010
Tim's: Medium Black Coffee

What Mods to do?

Post by gravyboat »

Here's what I've got; 2010 XTerra Off Road.

What I've done so far; Yakima Loadwarrior with Raingler net, General Grabber AT2s stock size, K&N filter, mud flaps removed, full synthetic fluids. Rock sliders ordered from Rock Hard Fabs in Ottawa (hopefully they shipped last week :? )

What I do with the truck; daily driver, road trips including hauling a pop-up camper. Logging and unassumed roads to get to the fishing and biking spots. I will be getting more into offroading this fall.

I'm trying to plan out my mods for the next 2-3 years now so I don't end up going down a rabbit hole on something I don't need or will be removing to upgrade in the future. I was planning on adding a new front bumper and upgrading the suspension. I'm trying to find a decent balance between ride comfort, the ability to accommodate an ARB or Shrockworks bumper in the front and aid in hauling the trailer in the rear. I am wide open for suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
Miner
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Cummins 2500 HD
Year: 2012
Tim's: McD's 3C1S

Re: What Mods to do?

Post by Miner »

I'd look at lift / shock upgrade options from -or using- Bilstien, Icon or Old Man Emu. An adjustable front coil pack would be a good idea to balance out the truck before and after the heavy bumper. Look through the second gen rigs in the Owners Rig section to see what you like, then ask questions about each setup that you're considering.

How heavy is the trailer?
Last edited by Miner on Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cummins - Zone, BD, AFE, Yokohama, Bestop, Access, VisonX, H&S
Simon wrote:It's not like the membership voted under control of a heavy hand...

Dammit, I've said too much...I'll have to ban you now
gravyboat
I'm learning to use 4-hi

Post by gravyboat »

The trailer is around 1200 pounds. I would need to weight it once its loaded to be sure. I've been researching and looking at other rigs and I'm leaning toward an OME lift with standard coils for now (heavy once I buy a bumper) and the OME leaf pack. Does anyone know where I can buy Old Man Emu up here?

Sent from my Batmobile using morse code
Miner

Post by Miner »

At ~1,200 pounds weight shouldn't become an issue with the trailer when considering mods to your rig. One thing to consider is hitch height and finding a drop receiver big enough to tow your trailer "level" after lifting the truck...or replacing the rear bumper / hitch. Search for a thread from Jayman about his pop up trailer, he's running a fabricated drop to compensate for his mods.

Jayman
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Year: 2002
Tim's: Double Double

Post by Jayman »

Yup, good times figuring all that stuff out.

http://www.cntc.ca/phpBB3/viewtopic.php ... drop+hitch

Short story version, I ended up purchasing a custom made hitch that gave me almost the correct drop that I was looking for to make my trailer level. I needed 14", and the drop hitch gave me 13"ish.

Now, I have a custom rear bumper, with an integrated hitch receiver, which is about 4-5 inches higher then where the stock receiver would normally be. That compounded the problem for me because I was already running a 3" suspension lift, and a 2 inch body lift.

The body lift didn't come into play until I got the custom bumper. The bumper is still attached to the frame rails, however the bumper itself is made to fit with the body with a 2" body lift, making the receive higher still.
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
gravyboat
I'm learning to use 4-hi

Post by gravyboat »

I'm levelled with a 5.5" ball mount and a draw tight receiver. I plan on converting the trailer to SOA this winter and upgrading the wheels and hubs.

tomi
Make/Model: Nissan-Datsun XTERRA
Year: 2007
Tim's: tea w/sug +lemon

Post by tomi »

Don't want to set up new tread for this... anyone have idea what is this "mod"; rear-view, backup w mirror? Spotted on Honda van, downtown.
http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/to0mi ... 0is%20this
Yorkdiver
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Nissan xTerra Pro4x
Year: 2011
Tim's: Large One Milk

Post by Yorkdiver »

gravyboat wrote:The trailer is around 1200 pounds. I would need to weight it once its loaded to be sure. I've been researching and looking at other rigs and I'm leaning toward an OME lift with standard coils for now (heavy once I buy a bumper) and the OME leaf pack. Does anyone know where I can buy Old Man Emu up here?

I wouldn't waste my time with the standard and then upgrading to the HD leafs. Just bite the bullet and run the HD for a bit with the stiffer suspension. Waste of money otherwise.
Miner

Post by Miner »

tomi wrote:Don't want to set up new tread for this... anyone have idea what is this "mod"; rear-view, backup w mirror? Spotted on Honda van, downtown.
http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/to0mi ... 0is%20this
Might let you see the back of the vehicle when approaching something, or make sure there's no kid beside the bumper before you backup.

PhullD
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Nissan Xterra Pro4x
Year: 2015
Tim's: Tea

Post by PhullD »

gravyboat wrote:Here's what I've got; 2010 XTerra Off Road.

What I've done so far; Yakima Loadwarrior with Raingler net, General Grabber AT2s stock size, K&N filter, mud flaps removed, full synthetic fluids. Rock sliders ordered from Rock Hard Fabs in Ottawa (hopefully they shipped last week :? )

What I do with the truck; daily driver, road trips including hauling a pop-up camper. Logging and unassumed roads to get to the fishing and biking spots. I will be getting more into offroading this fall.

I'm trying to plan out my mods for the next 2-3 years now so I don't end up going down a rabbit hole on something I don't need or will be removing to upgrade in the future. I was planning on adding a new front bumper and upgrading the suspension. I'm trying to find a decent balance between ride comfort, the ability to accommodate an ARB or Shrockworks bumper in the front and aid in hauling the trailer in the rear. I am wide open for suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
I would invest in a CB set up if you want to start joining club members on runs :)