Broke stuff, fixed stuff....

General Chat about the forum, it's members & their trucks.
HolidayNation
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Xterra XE stick
Year: 2004
Tim's: 60oz BEER please

Broke stuff, fixed stuff....

Post by HolidayNation »

Over the last couple of weeks I have purchased a couple of things, just because they were a great price. I didn't really need them, but have come across occassions when I wish I had had them. Now if I only had a shop to put them in. :)

I picked up a 12v Impact wrench for $30 at CT. It sure made changing up the tires on the Civic easier. It now resides in the back of the X.
I have been keeping an eye on the tap and die sets for quite some time. I needed a 10/1.25 bit but couldn't find the single and it wasn't urgent enough to buy the metric set for $50. My patience was finally rewarded this passed week when I checked the usual Isle at CT and found the 74 piece sae/metric set on for $30, it was the last one so I bought it without batting an eye. You know?, because I need a tap and die set :crazy:
Well yesterday I was sitting around reading the flyers (damb flyers) and managed to talk myself into heading over to the TSC store to look at welders. Keeping in mind, I haven't welded anything is probably 15years, and ARC was never my strong suit anyway. That being said thought, TSC had a 60/70 amp stick welder on for $70. I can't cound the number of times I wish I had, had a welder at my disposal, and although this isn't the bon chose, hopefully will come in handy. Besides it looks cool on my workbench, even if I can't get near it for the car in the garage. :lol:

Well, not really needing any of the afore mentioned, but being one to buy sheet spontaniously because I might need them...I went to get my oil changed today(for 42 bucks it is easier then doing it myself). Well, the lad broke off the last remaining bolt holding up the rear of my front stock skid. I threw the skid in the back and headed home, contemplating the consequences of the actions I was considering. I tryed an extractor or two to no avail, and then i considered welding a bolt to the broken piece but that was going to be a pita and these things were in there good. So out with the drill bits and after finally finding my titanium bits, drilled out the centre screw and then pulled out the new tap and die set, found the right reem and taddaaaaaaaaa, re-threaded the hole and mounted up my skid good as the piece of crap was new. Anyway, not a big deal but I sure was happy with my new purchase that I didn't really need. :teeth:

I then fixed the rear accessory socket, I don't recall pulling out the fuse but when I was mucking around under the hood I noticed and empty space in the fuse box. There is a 20 amp and a 15 amp, and for whatever reason the 15 amp was missing. Can't see how it would fall out, but maybe I was sleep walking and took it out......... :fist: well whatever the case the socket is once again working.

Well that was my day, now I am going to get back to my 12 hours of bliss working nights.

:thumbup:
Last edited by HolidayNation on Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREYs WITHOUT BATS]- :)
Where's Slawek?........... Crunch?
Aerosols may be depleting the ozone, but warning labels are depleting the gene pool
OF4WD-5557
Scotto
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2006
Tim's: L Reg

Re: Broke stuff, fixed stuff....

Post by Scotto »

That was a good read. :thumbup:
Pezzy
Make/Model: Ford F150
Year: 2018
Tim's: Steeped Tea, 1/2 Sugar

Post by Pezzy »

Simon picked up that Tap & Die set a couple summers ago when it was on sale, and has proved a great investment. I think it comes off the shelf everytime he works on the trucks.

(and everytime I tear the heads off the bolts on my skidplates) :squeam:
I my PATHFInDERs.
R.I.P. 99.5 Green Machine :cry:
Morpheus
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2003
Tim's: 3x3

Post by Morpheus »

Those bolts break on EVERY one we work on! Next time you have them out, put some anti-sieze on them, you'll be grateful in the long run..
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676
Jayman
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Year: 2002
Tim's: Double Double

Post by Jayman »

I bought a tap a die set a while back thinking that it would have all the ones that I would need for working on my Xterra.

First mistake.

Then, when I started working on my Xterra, I ran into an issue where I needed a tap to fix some threads that I had screwed up. No problems, I have a tap & die set in my aresenal of tools...

Second mistake!

Nice shiny plastic box full of really neat taps and dies, and not one of them was the one that I needed.

That 10/1.25 tap is not a very popular thread, unless you work at the Nissan plant that puts together Xterras, in which case everyone has one...

Anyways, I managed to pick up a 10/1.25 at Ottawa Fastner Supply, and I'm constantly surprised by the number of holes in the X that are threaded with that particular thread.

To my knowledge so far, the stock step-rails are held in place by bolts that have that thread. Also, the bolts that go through the body pucks on the truck, are also threaded with the same pitch. AND, I recently found out that the stock bumper mounting holes on the frame horns, yup, you guessed it! They are threaded the same.

Sometimes I wonder if the people throwing the trucks together just decided that one tool for the whole SHE-BANGS was enough...
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
HolidayNation

Post by HolidayNation »

Mike, I've heard that before and as you suggested I greased it up good. Now I just got to get some more bolts for the other holes, and hope I have the same success as with the centre hole :happydance:

Jayman, I believe you were the one who pointed out the tap size I needed for my sliders. Fortunately this kit came with the one I wanted and the one for the skid plate too. Not very big mind you, so i would think if one were to put a heavier skid on there that you would probably have to drill it out to a bigger size. I don't know maybe 10/1.25 :lol: its a bit of a pita having to keep so much metric stuff around, 'cause it seems to be the only time I need it is for the X. :fist: Anyway, I guess now I have no excuse not to pull the sliders off, repaint and thread the last hole that is giving me grief.
Aerosols may be depleting the ozone, but warning labels are depleting the gene pool
OF4WD-5557
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Well, it's pretty much a Japanese manufacturer trait to stick with the same sizes for as much as they can, makes things easy and efficient. I think it just makes sence. I'd curse taking apart domestic vehicles with the plethora of tools required. Despite that the Xterra is built in the US, it's design would be influences by it's Japanese roots. My Mx-3, I can basically work on anything on the car with just a 10, 12, 14 and 17mm. Having a TL and an Escape in the household too, it'll say it's a pain working on anything SAE, lol
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
Bender
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Nissan Sentra SER
Year: 2011
Tim's: Mcdonalds coffee

Post by Bender »

10, 12, 14 and 17 will get you through almost everything you need with the Xterra. And Jayman seems to have found out the hard way, that M10x1.25 is a common size used. I know the roof baskets on first gen X's are M6 which also popular with the smaller bolts. M10 will come second though.
HolidayNation

Post by HolidayNation »

Yep, the 6 is the front skid and apparently other sheet too.
OF4WD-5557
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

Gotta love the sales at CT. I picked up a 27pc (i think) screwdriver set last boxing day for 10 or 15 bucks!

Reminds me I gotta drill out and re tap 2 of my skid plate bolts....

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa