Opinions on 02 sensors.....

General Chat about the forum, it's members & their trucks.
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: Medium Regular

Opinions on 02 sensors.....

Post by Adam »

Hey guys, I think my 02 sensor bit the dust, well it was acting up awhile ago, but now its finally done, it's original, so it doesn't owe me anything.

So, question is, based on your personal experience, would it be ok to use universal ones? Or will I run into problems later on? The direct fit one is around 100 dollars, and the universal is around 50, both from bosch. Seeing as I'm a student and money is tight, I would prefer to get the cheaper one. But if anyone has any good reasons not to, please speak up!

Thanks guys.

Oh I posted in here because I just wanted opinions, its not an emergency.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
Simon
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Re: Opinions on 02 sensors.....

Post by Simon »

okay...

1) Do you have a CEL on? Have you run the codes? If the O2 sensor is shot, it WILL throw the CEL

2) Universal vs Exact fit....do you trust your ability to do wiring? It isn't just a matter of splicing a couple of wires....you have to ensure good contact, and that the splices are sealed, or you could just wreck the new sensor.
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

Simon wrote:okay...

1) Do you have a CEL on? Have you run the codes? If the O2 sensor is shot, it WILL throw the CEL

2) Universal vs Exact fit....do you trust your ability to do wiring? It isn't just a matter of splicing a couple of wires....you have to ensure good contact, and that the splices are sealed, or you could just wreck the new sensor.
Yeah I have a CEL and I ran the codes. Also it runs like dream if you unplug the o2.

I can do the wiring and I can really seal it up good with heatshrink tubing and w/e else is needed, I was just wondering if anyone had any experience/problems with the universal. If I was made of money I'd get the exact fit.

thanks simon :thumbup:

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
lowridah313
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Jeep Liberty Sport
Year: 2008
Tim's: XL DD with milk

Post by lowridah313 »

When I worked in the garage, I used universal ones all the time. Never had a problem. Like Simon said, make you have a good connection, and that its sealed properly.

-Tom-
2002 Nissan Xterra SE SOLD
2008 Jeep Liberty Sport
1988 Volkswagen Cabriolet
Snafu
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Xterra S
Year: 2007
Tim's: Double milk - no sugar

Post by Snafu »

If it were me and folks here have no concern with using the universal sensor (i.e., it will function right) then I would go for the less costly version and wire it up myself.

There is shrink tubing and there there is shrink tubing. Look for the kind that is waterproof (has sealant inside). Not sure of the name but just don't buy the regular stuff.

I would also solder the lines and not just crimp them or crimp and solder then seal.
Worlds Greatest Acronym:
A.D.O.S.S: Attention Deficit Oooooo Something Shiny! (thanks Simon!)

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.
Nismojunky
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Nissan Titan
Year: 2006
Tim's: Double cream

Post by Nismojunky »

Snafu wrote:If it were me and folks here have no concern with using the universal sensor (i.e., it will function right) then I would go for the less costly version and wire it up myself.

There is shrink tubing and there there is shrink tubing. Look for the kind that is waterproof (has sealant inside). Not sure of the name but just don't buy the regular stuff.

I would also solder the lines and not just crimp them or crimp and solder then seal.
yep that what id do and yes you can get heatshrink with a glue inside it thats what i used for my starters wiring