For those who bought Knock Sensors in the summer

Having problems with your Nissan truck? Search & post here!
Jayman
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Year: 2002
Tim's: Double Double

For those who bought Knock Sensors in the summer

Post by Jayman »

I know that we Scotto got the knock sensors for everyone, there was some discussion about tearing the engine apart to replace the dead one in the sock location, vs. using a work around.

Anyways, I found the write up for the work around if anyone is interested in trying this instead of doing the 6 - 10 hour job to get to the stock location.

http://www.nexterra.org/forum/viewtopic ... ock+sensor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm still going back and forth on what I want to do, tear down or work around, but this seems WAY easier then the tear down...

Maybe one of the mods can save the pics and the write up so that we have it in the how-to seciton (and provide reference and credit to the author of course)?
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
Snafu
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Xterra S
Year: 2007
Tim's: Double milk - no sugar

Re: For those who bought Knock Sensors in the summer

Post by Snafu »

Haven't had a chance to follow the link but I did post earlier about a mod that doesn't require the tear down in the Knocksensor thread. You need to trace the wires to the knock sensor, cut them then splic in the new sensor (leaving the old sensor in place).
Snafu wrote:BTW here is a link I found about the mod. This one does not require removing the intake manifolds.
I also found alternative gaskets. Should work but no one has confirmed for sure.
Snafu wrote:Are these the same gaskets from AutoParts on-line? I believe they are but with the different descriptions used I wanted to be sure before considering ordering them.
Metal gasket below the upper intake assy: 14033-45100 (x1)
#A8041-117165 Intake Plenum Gasket - Plenum to Manifold
Metal gaskets below the lower intake assy 14035-v5205 (x2)
#A8040-110469 Intake Manifold Gasket OEM - To Cylinder Head (left or right, 2 per engine)

If they are the same then the set of three comes to $32.80 and this includes a $9.95 shipping charge but excludes the taxes. The shipping charge is waived if an order is over $75. So if I order 6 sets then the price is $137.10 ($22.85 per set).
Worlds Greatest Acronym:
A.D.O.S.S: Attention Deficit Oooooo Something Shiny! (thanks Simon!)

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.
Scotto
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2006
Tim's: L Reg

Post by Scotto »

I am definitely on the side of relocating the stoopid sensor. I see no point in spending $300 for some seals and gaskets, and then another 6-10 hours to pry everything apart, when the chopping of two wires and a simple "put it over here" will work.

Scott
Snafu
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Xterra S
Year: 2007
Tim's: Double milk - no sugar

Post by Snafu »

Just need to be sure you are cutting the right two wires :lol: but I hear ya.

I might be able to get the use of a heated shop if interested. Buddy down the road is a licensed mechanic and we could toss some money towards propane for heat and beer.
Worlds Greatest Acronym:
A.D.O.S.S: Attention Deficit Oooooo Something Shiny! (thanks Simon!)

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.