window control

Having problems with your Nissan truck? Search & post here!
xlthumper
Lugnut
Lugnut
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Nissan Xterra
Year: 2000
Tim's: Tea w/ milk bag in please

window control

Post by xlthumper »

ok my up/down button for the driver side window is not making the window go up all the time. how do i get to the swith to clean or replace it, do i hav to take the door skin off? or just the elbow rest?
Bender
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Nissan Sentra SER
Year: 2011
Tim's: Mcdonalds coffee

Re: window control

Post by Bender »

Let the search button be your friend. ;)

http://www.cntc.ca/phpBB3/viewtopic.php ... ator#p7490" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Scotto
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2006
Tim's: L Reg

Post by Scotto »

Yeah - it's one thing.

As Bender said, let the search tool be your friend, but (no offence Jay) we aren't a library, so...

You have to replace the control unit in your driver side door. You can do it yourself. A phillpis head screw driver and maybe a jeweller's slot to pry open the connector. Open up the arm-rest, then get the control unit out... Replace.

I'm going to have to do a write-up on this, as it's uber-common.

Scott
Jayman
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Year: 2002
Tim's: Double Double

Post by Jayman »

Did anyone ever figure out if you can replace the switch for the passenger side window with the same "auto-down" one that is used for the Driver side?

That's something that I've always wanted to do, but never had the motivation to actually look into. I remember reading about someone else wanting to do the same, but I can't remember the outcome.
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
xlthumper
Lugnut
Lugnut
Make/Model: Nissan Xterra
Tim's: Tea w/ milk bag in please

Post by xlthumper »

jay scott thank you for the info. so i can just take out the one screw on top or the are rest and then pry that same arm rest cover off to access the unit. ok has anyone tried after market to see if they are better? or is this dealer only part.

expensive but i guess i have to change it.
Big Bird
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Make/Model: Nissan Xterra XE
Year: 2001
Tim's: LG COFFEE 2 SGR

Post by Big Bird »

Sometimes you are able to fix the contacts if they are broken from the sodered contacts.
I asked for a Jelly donut not a maple!!!
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

xlthumper wrote:jay scott thank you for the info. so i can just take out the one screw on top or the are rest and then pry that same arm rest cover off to access the unit. ok has anyone tried after market to see if they are better? or is this dealer only part.

expensive but i guess i have to change it.
There is an aftermarket version somewhere - I seem to recall seeing someone on XOC say something about one. Me? I'd hit the dealer and shell out the ponies (a ridiculous amount - I recall something like $130) and fix the damn thing.

You're ("your," if you're ["your" if you're HoidayNation] HolidayNation) - hey, that's an infinite regress!!!- bang on on the the install:

Pull the screw out of the bottom of the arm-rest. Might need to clean a lot of crap out to get to the screw.
Snap arm rest up and out.
Use a jeweller's screw driver to pry apart the connection, and there's another Phillips or two in there you have to remove for the unit to come right out. Really easy to spot.
Put new unit in and reverse the order of disassembly.

Scott
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

Jayman wrote:Did anyone ever figure out if you can replace the switch for the passenger side window with the same "auto-down" one that is used for the Driver side?

That's something that I've always wanted to do, but never had the motivation to actually look into. I remember reading about someone else wanting to do the same, but I can't remember the outcome.
Don't think so, Jayman. it would mean getting that computer board into the passenger side arm rest, somehow. Not saying that there isn't an aftermarket solution somewhere, but I can't see how stock stuff would do it.

Scott
Bow_Tied
Reactions score: 5
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Post by Bow_Tied »

Jayman wrote:Did anyone ever figure out if you can replace the switch for the passenger side window with the same "auto-down" one that is used for the Driver side?

Don't know if it is helpful, but the passenger side window on an LE is an auto down button stock.... at least ours is.
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
morb
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2004
Tim's: DD

Post by morb »

Mine gets frozen closed pretty much daily. I need a high-toque motor in there and I"d love to speed it up somehow...at least the driver side anyway.
xcanuk
Lugnut
Lugnut
Make/Model: Xterra

Post by xcanuk »

You guys are so behind the times... for the past 8 years, "both" my front windows are auto up / down via the driver's door switches.
One of my first mods was a phython alarm with the window module. Basically it closes my windows when arming, or lowers to vent via remote, then also modifies the driver's switch(s) as stated above.
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

Wow - that's cool.

How much that cost? I feel out of the loop. Sort of like when I was still playing Pong and a guy showed me Quake.

Is it time to trade in my Commador 64, too? :teeth:

Scott
Bow_Tied
Reactions score: 5
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Post by Bow_Tied »

Scotto wrote: Sort of like when I was still playing Pong and a guy showed me Quake.

Is it time to trade in my Commador 64, too? :teeth:

Scott
No way - Imposible Mission rules! :teeth:
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner