So I pulled the trigger...

Camping, trail gear, recovery, gps, and related accessories.
Feds
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Pathfinder
Year: 1998
Tim's: Black

So I pulled the trigger...

Post by Feds »

I've been a kijiji whore for the last few weeks, especially when I was down in Arkansas working. Last weekend, we were in London visiting my bro, and decided to check in on one of the trailers I had been watching. Long story short, we towed this home with us:

It's not nearly as pretty as I had been hoping for, and a little bigger than I wanted but it's very solid, and for $800, I couldn't say no. Towed it from London to Fenwick, and touched 110 a couple of times. Seems to be alright behind the Pathfinder, though 4th gear is called for much more often.

I've been doing a systems check through the week, and so far all the 110v stuff works, and all of gas works. The fridge got cold in under 1 hour, so is seems to be in good shape. Next I have to check the 12v and the plumbing, then get it plated.

Inside is the finest design 1974 had to offer.

So yeah, we'll give it a test camp in June some time and I'll report back.
Bow_Tied
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Re: So I pulled the trigger...

Post by Bow_Tied »

Congrats! I too have been a kijiji whore for trailers as of late. I saw that ad, but didn't go and look at it. How was it leak wise? All of the trialers I have looked at in person have had a history of leaks so far. All but one seller said the tires were good but they were actually crap. :x :roll: I am getting a bit demoralized to be honest. It is getting so you can't buy something awesome for dirt cheap anymore :teeth:

How much does that one weigh? I am trying to find something light-ish weight, but it seems there is not a lot out there. A teardrop etc is simply too small and I don't want a tent trailer very bad. I looked at a '67 Glenelle near Windsor. It had some nice points but needed a lot of work and was heavy for a small trailer.

If you do any updates/repairs, post up.
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
xrover
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Nissan Xterra
Year: 2005
Tim's: Large, DC, 1 sweetner

Post by xrover »

Nice! Is that 16'? Looks a bit like the one I grew up camping in. I had to share the bunk bed with my brother. I was a lot smaller then.
Congrats.
2005 Nissan Xterra
2014 Argo 650HD 6x6
Feds
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by Feds »

Pacing it off with my feet, it's ~15' of living space, and 19' from stem to stern. Ownership lists ~1350 lbs. I'm sure that’s not right, or at the very leas, an empty weight, so I will be weighing it to be sure.

Leak-wise, I didn't find any water damage around the edges, in the cupboards, etc. With all the rain we have had this week, a small drip showed up around one of the roof vents. By small drip I mean that literally a little water could be seen on one of the nails holding up the trim. It didn't leave any trace on the floor or anything. Regardless, I will be pulling that vent apart to fix whatever damage is there.

Tires are visually fine, but look to be original to the trailer (F-78x15 bias plies!). I’ll be replacing them before I do any long trips. A single axle blowout does not appeal to me. While I’m in there, I’ll see about new bearings, or at the very least, new grease. The hubs didn’t get hot at all while towing back, so hopefully everything is in good shape when I open it up.

Other near-term stuff will be reupholstering the cushions and making new curtains, and figuring out the 12v system to see if I can make the whole thing self contained. I figure the whole project will be less than $1500 by the time its done, and it will be worth what I have into it if we decide to upgrade/downgrade in the future.
Scotto
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2006
Tim's: L Reg

Post by Scotto »

Looks pretty cool. Love the retro '70s thing.

As an aside, don't know if it applies: I helped a friend revamp his camper van last summer. One thing we found when replacing sheet metal was the amount of space that can easily be freed up for more storage. We'd be digging into a space and discover the back of the cabinet had all this space behind the rear wall. 6" there and 5" there adds up to a lot. You might find the same thing with this - not sure, just a hunch.

Should put an 8-track in there.

Congrats on the purchase. Geez, $800 is a steal. :thumbup:

Scott
Bow_Tied

Post by Bow_Tied »

Very nice. How is the tongue weight? Do is have those load distribution bars? If not do you plan to get them?

1350lbs? I find that surprising... kg maybe :D
Some trailers I looked at had a paper or plate in a cupboard that indicated GVW.

Does it have a bathroom? I didn't see it in the pics.....

I gotta keep looking....
#MoreRon

Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Post by Simon »

For the bearings, get yourself a pair of bearing buddies. They help keep the bearings greased, even if some leaks out. Great product. I believe PA carries them, as well as CT.
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
xrover
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Nissan Xterra
Year: 2005
Tim's: Large, DC, 1 sweetner

Post by xrover »

Does that mean you are keeping the Austin Powers styled linoleum floor? I would recommend a lighter colour, brighten it up. And remember everything can be painted to lighten up.
I would think it is a 16' based on your obersations.
2005 Nissan Xterra
2014 Argo 650HD 6x6
Bow_Tied

Post by Bow_Tied »

Simon wrote:For the bearings, get yourself a pair of bearing buddies. They help keep the bearings greased, even if some leaks out. Great product. I believe PA carries them, as well as CT.
X2 - I got them at PA as well for my utility trailer, handy.
#MoreRon

Feds
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by Feds »

As I mentioned in the other thread, we are booked into Elora Gorge for next week. This week I've been fixing the lights, and repacking the bearings to get ready for the trip. I'm also trying to replace the cushions on the cheap. I'll get some pics up tomorrow-ish.