Winter

Camping, trail gear, recovery, gps, and related accessories.
nathan
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2004
Tim's: dd

Re: Winter

Post by nathan »

What kind and size tire?[/quote]

Mine are 265/75/15 but if you call he will give a price and brand of tire you can get. I am sure it will be around 500 if you need 16 inch. call though.
2" BL / 31 MT's on DC-1 RIMS, 2 100 WATT AND 2 55 WATT ROOF MOUNTED LIGHTS
nathan
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by nathan »

Well I have taken the warning I have gotten and have been looking for tires. One Thing I am stumped about is my tire size. I tell them 265/75/15. They tell me they have one time and that's it. The question I wonder is can I go smaller? If so how small?
petespath
Farmer
Farmer
Make/Model: Hyundai Elantra
Year: 2009
Tim's: Wish I had a Nissan

Post by petespath »

Nathan thats a good question, I am going to have say I don't know. I will have to get back to you. In mean time, please stay off the road.
Feds
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Pathfinder
Year: 1998
Tim's: Black

Post by Feds »

nathan wrote:Well I have taken the warning I have gotten and have been looking for tires. One Thing I am stumped about is my tire size. I tell them 265/75/15. They tell me they have one time and that's it. The question I wonder is can I go smaller? If so how small?
235/75/15, 31/10.5/15, 31/9.5/15, 265/70/15, or even 225/70(or 75)/15, if you're not super concerned about ground clearance.

The practical limit to a smaller tire is load rating. As long as the tires can put up with the weight of your truck, it's no big deal.

There are also limits on aesthetics, ground clearance if you intend to go offroading with them, and how much you care about spedometer/odometer error.

Otherwise, a tire that is within ~30mm on the width, but a smaller diameter will generally make your car ride, handle, turn, stop, and accelerate better, with some tradeoff on highway mileage. This is especially if you are switching all seasons to snows, as the better compound and tread design will more than make up for the reduced footprint on dry pavement, and will be advantageous in the snow.
nathan
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by nathan »

Well I have to say that all of you who said my Claws will not be safe during the winter were very right. Today we got 3in atleast and its still coming down. I went out to play in it and I can't keep it straight, and off the start it spins a lot. And 4x4 is no better. So tomorrow I go and get my Winterforce UV's and hope that there better :woot:
Snafu
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Xterra S
Year: 2007
Tim's: Double milk - no sugar

Post by Snafu »

There is a tire calculator posted in one of the threads or stickies. It calculates the differences between tires size after you put in the stock size and then th other size you are looking at. I think it also recommends tires of the size you are looking it. Just to give you an idea.

I was surprised that your truck was 15". Perhaps 16" rims would fit as a possible alternative for tire choice.
Worlds Greatest Acronym:
A.D.O.S.S: Attention Deficit Oooooo Something Shiny! (thanks Simon!)

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.
nathan
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by nathan »

I was surprised that your truck was 15". Perhaps 16" rims would fit as a possible alternative for tire choice.
I am sure that they would be isn't tire's for a 15in rim cheaper? When I looked on 1010tires.com 15 was 139 16 was 149.
Bamboozled
justsoldone
justsoldone
Make/Model: WRX...
Year: 2003
Tim's: Needs Baileys.

Post by Bamboozled »

I think telling someone to stay off the roads with MT's is a little harsh. Its winter, we all need to change our driving habits. I've run my BFG MT's (33x12.5's) for the last three winters. Yeah, they slip... But you just need to slow down and take it easy. If you're going to drive like an asshole, well, what do you expect? Anywho, I'm not saying that a MT is a good winter tire, just that you need to know how to drive with what you've got.
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

I agree mike. And those people who tell me that my cheapness (with regard to having 235235 sets of tires) is endangering others piss me off. If you like winters, get them, but don't bug people who don't.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

adamzan wrote:And those people who tell me that my cheapness is endangering others piss me off. If you like winters, get them, but don't bug people who don't.
There's a different. Some people just don't believe snow tires make a difference. Others say they don't need winter tires, but are the first to complain about the conditions and that they're affraid to drive on the road or even get to work.

I've got a friend, he used winter tires on his Lexus cause it was RWD, he said they made a huge difference, but sold the car last year, and had no plans to get winter tires on his car or his wife's SUV. Ironicly, last week, we make plans to see a movie in the evening, but they apparently were calling for a storm, so during the day while we're working, he text messages asking me to drive. No snow happened that night.

My mom, her sister and a few friends go to play bingo in Fort Erie every few weeks. Fort Erie & Buffalo are know for getting it bad in the winter. My mom is always volunteered to drive on those days.

I sold my cousin winter tires for her first car. These tires I used for one season and were in great shape. They were awesome tires, I know, I used them in the worst of the worst, even going from Port Colborne to Mississauga in one of the worst storms that year. A few weeks after I got them on, she managed to get in the ditch.

You guys are right, winter tires aren't the magical solution, no more than people think about 4WD. An equipped vehicle doesn't make the driver invincible, but a good driver also can't make a vehicle do the impossible.

To each their own.
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
Bamboozled
justsoldone
justsoldone
Make/Model: WRX...
Year: 2003
Tim's: Needs Baileys.

Post by Bamboozled »

Just to clear it up. I'm not against winter buns. A few years back my GF got stuck 3 times leaving my house. I told her to take my truck that day and I would take her car so she would feel safe (yes, my truck did have the MT's on her ;) ) So off I was... fak. I didn't know how bad her car was in the snow, I didn't get stuck, but what a pain. Got to work and ordered her a set of winter tires. She hasn't had an issue since.
Snafu
Make/Model: Xterra S
Year: 2007
Tim's: Double milk - no sugar

Post by Snafu »

adamzan wrote:I agree mike. And those people who tell me that my cheapness (with regard to having 235235 sets of tires) is endangering others piss me off. If you like winters, get them, but don't bug people who don't.
I don't preach to anyone but only recommend. I have driven all seasons in the winter but only when they were new.

I do preach to those who can't drive because they chose not to get winter tires and end up causing traffic issues because they do not know how to drive their car or truck in winter. It is not like they didn't know winter was coming or that the conditions are horrible. They are just ignorant and disrespect for anyone other than themselves.

My biggest fear driving in the winter is not whether I can stop or control my car but whether the person behind me (or on-coming) can. I wouldn't be at fault but insurance does not pay for the hassle this puts you through.

I would say I am more of an advocate for winter tires and good driving and not a preacher ;)
Worlds Greatest Acronym:
A.D.O.S.S: Attention Deficit Oooooo Something Shiny! (thanks Simon!)

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.
nathan
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by nathan »

So I got my winter force uv snow tires, and there pretty good. I can still kick out and spin my tires a lot.( but this is my first rwd truck) All in all they stop better and help with turning.
HolidayNation
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Xterra XE stick
Tim's: 60oz BEER please

Post by HolidayNation »

nathan wrote:So I got my winter force uv snow tires, and there pretty good. I can still kick out and spin my tires a lot.( but this is my first rwd truck) All in all they stop better and help with turning.

That is good Nate, you should definitely notice a difference in stopping prowess. That being said, you would serve yourself well if this is your first rear wheel drive vehicle, finding an empty parking lot and learning how the rear wheel drive differs from front wheel drive. I would also play with the 4 wheel drive, as there is significant differences there too, and not all for the best. There is a huge difference and tires make only a small portion of the difference in driving habits. The back end of the X is prone to kicking out but is easily controllable if you are aware of this and use easy counter steer. As the weather changes, so should your driving habits, and leaving space for stopping and ease of acceleration on corners are a couple of the slippery road tactics that will keep you out of the cabbage patch. I suspect some time spent in a slippery parking lot will enlighten you and assist your confidence with the winter conditions.

I personally run my destinations for the winter, although I might invest in some ATs or winter sneakers at some point. The key with any tire/vehicle combo is to learn its character and drive accordingly. I have done (as have most here) a lot of winter crap weather driving in all sorts of vehicles and tire combos and the best defence has always been to slow the F' down. ;) . I think it best said, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. :dance:
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREYs WITHOUT BATS]- :)
Where's Slawek?........... Crunch?
Aerosols may be depleting the ozone, but warning labels are depleting the gene pool
OF4WD-5557