Scotto
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2006
Tim's: L Reg

Steering - Nightmare Evil Part IV

Post by Scotto »

Parts came in today!!!

First was a heavy-duty set of tie rod adjusters, from AC (thanks for the tip, Drew.)

Very cool, very heavy duty.

Then the new tie rod ends arrived.

I figured I should probably re-do the ends, as they're old and likely to fail. I went down to the local part-shop in Fergus (conveniently located around the corner from Timmy's) and had a chat with the guy. He suggested a Moog tie rod end. Not cheap, but a life-time warranty, and it's made in Japan, not China or North Korea. Looking at them, i am very impressed. very solid, and they have a couple of interesting seals to keep grease in and water out.

Total for the ends came to about 300- with tax (damn gov't) and the adj. sleeves were a hundred. Expensive, yes. Likely to fail: Not a chance in hell.

When I get these bits all installed I'll take pics. Then it's off to Bender's garage to figure out the Centre-link problem.

Scott
Big Bird
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Make/Model: Nissan Xterra XE
Year: 2001
Tim's: LG COFFEE 2 SGR

Re: Steering - Nightmare Evil Part IV

Post by Big Bird »

$300 bucks!!!!! I also bought the Moog tie rods that have a life time warranty but I paid $200. Your tie rods should of been cheaper.
I asked for a Jelly donut not a maple!!!
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

Hmm. I'm rounding up, the cost of getting the stuff to Fergus, the cost of gas probably... I dunno. At this point I don't really care. Sort of like when you buy a car, and someone says, "Oh man, my brother's a dealer. You shoulda told me..."

It's just what the cost was, without spending 40 or so bucks to drive to lovely Hamilton and back... Add-on edit: Cheapest I found them on-line was 60.00. And that doesn't include shipping.

Scott
weerd 1
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Drewbicon
Year: 2013
Tim's: always

Post by weerd 1 »

good job Scott I just did mine also but I used TRW also lifetime warr those adjusters are beefy in comparison to the ones that came off post up some pics of the two side by side then get them on your X for this weekend and get back out on the trail to test :lol:
What to do next
Snafu
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Xterra S
Year: 2007
Tim's: Double milk - no sugar

Post by Snafu »

I was at that timmies today.

Let me know when you'll be at Bender's garage and hopefully I can pop by. I need to anyhow to pay my dues.
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

She's all done - did it yesterday. The project went well, but I had to use a tie rod wedge to pull the outer tie rods out of the knuckle. Beat the crap out them to get them out. The inners, no problem, but the outers must have a different stress on them and they lock in real good.

Alignement hasn't been done at a shop yet, but I took my time to set it up as evenly as possible, and worked from there. Right now it drives straight down the road, not pulling...

As a side note, I pulled about a 1/16" off the front tires scrubbing them back from crystal lake.

So, here's the new tie rod system. Moog inners and outers, AC Heavy Duty adjuster:

Here's what it replaced:

And here's the SLR tie rod system beside Nissan's. The one on the far left is the buggered SLR one, with stock Nissan inners and outers. The one on the right the same SLR adjuster with Nissan bits, and the one in the middle is stock Nissan from otop to bottom. I'm not sure if you can see it, but the not-buggered SLR adjuster is bent.

All in all, I'm pleased as punch with the new stuff.

Scott
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

Snafu wrote:I was at that timmies today.

Let me know when you'll be at Bender's garage and hopefully I can pop by. I need to anyhow to pay my dues.

And you didn't bother to call up and say hello???

bad Snafu, bad!
Snafu
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Xterra S
Year: 2007
Tim's: Double milk - no sugar

Post by Snafu »

:shrug: Sorry mate. It was mid-morning and I was picking up coffees for the girls where my wife works (going for kudo points). Then I had to head back to a job (subject for another thread).

Plus you live in Elora not Fergus. That's a long drive when the speed limit is 40kmph between the two towns. Someone must be afraid of cars running over the local cows or something :lol:

Glad you had it done. I cannot believe the angle of the tie rod in that pic. Was the truck on jacks at the time?
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

Yeah - there was a jack under the truck.

Scott