CB radio??

General Chat about the forum, it's members & their trucks.
AlexJet
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Toyota 4Runner
Year: 2005
Tim's: French Vanila Capuchino

Re: CB radio??

Post by AlexJet »

morb wrote:I had a ham set in the truck for a while but i took it out. I was having too much fun placing orders for people at the Timmies drive through and watching them get pissed as they drove away.
:? :? :?
2005 4Runner V6 Limited
5" lift, 35", ARB locker, ARB & CBI bumpers, Snorkel ...
2001 4Runner V6 Limited
3.5" lift, 33", ARB & CBI bumpers, Snorkel,...
2009 AE Expedition Trailer
35",...
morb
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2004
Tim's: DD

Post by morb »

My set is fully unlocked. I can transmit or receive on anything, including the channels used most drive throughs. So I developped somewhat of an addiction to waiting until I heard "Welcome to Tim Hortons", and then keying up and ordering a bunch of stuff. Mayhem ensues.

For a real blast, you can set two competing drivethroughs as repeaters for each other, so if you're sitting at a Hortons and theres a McDonalds across the street, the drive throughs talk to each other but not the customers. Welcome to McDonalds...Huh, no, welcome to Tim Hortons...No, welcome to Mcdonalds...Whatever, can I take your order? No, can I take YOUR order? and so on....
Rev
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Xterra SE
Year: 2008
Tim's: Hot chocolate

Post by Rev »

I would never do that. You would be taking money from that business in lost revenue. The hassle would also create customer ill will potentially driving away a lifetime of customer business. That could be a lot of money. Not a cool thing to do.
LGM
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Make/Model: Pathfinder Chilkoot
Year: 1998
Tim's: Double Double

Post by LGM »

morb wrote:For a real blast, you can set two competing drivethroughs as repeaters for each other, so if you're sitting at a Hortons and theres a McDonalds across the street, the drive throughs talk to each other but not the customers. Welcome to McDonalds...Huh, no, welcome to Tim Hortons...No, welcome to Mcdonalds...Whatever, can I take your order? No, can I take YOUR order? and so on....
:rotfl: :twisted:
Rev wrote:I would never do that. You would be taking money from that business in lost revenue. The hassle would also create customer ill will potentially driving away a lifetime of customer business. That could be a lot of money. Not a cool thing to do.
You can't do it cuz your Boss is ALWAYS watching you ;)
Driving customers away from McDonalds is probably a good thing for the customer! :lol:
All Your Base Are Belong To Us!
Nissanboy97
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Nissan Pathfinder
Year: 1997
Tim's: 2c 3s w/ B.C.

Post by Nissanboy97 »

Driving customers away from McDonalds is probably a good thing for the customer! :lol:
:lol: Good point!
STOCK..............................AGAIN!!!!
Rev

Post by Rev »

LGM wrote:
morb wrote:For a real blast, you can set two competing drivethroughs as repeaters for each other, so if you're sitting at a Hortons and theres a McDonalds across the street, the drive throughs talk to each other but not the customers. Welcome to McDonalds...Huh, no, welcome to Tim Hortons...No, welcome to Mcdonalds...Whatever, can I take your order? No, can I take YOUR order? and so on....
:rotfl: :twisted:
Rev wrote:I would never do that. You would be taking money from that business in lost revenue. The hassle would also create customer ill will potentially driving away a lifetime of customer business. That could be a lot of money. Not a cool thing to do.

True enough! On both accounts. :lol:
rmarles
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Year: 2001
Tim's: Regular

Post by rmarles »

Back onto topic :)

Question about antennas - as I recall them being mentioned somewhere in this thread, a while back :lol:

Besides not buying fibreglass, anyone have a recommendtion of what antenna to buy that will be mated to a Cobra 18STWXII?

Thanks.
sandor
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: SAS Xterra
Year: 2000

Post by sandor »

Why not fibreglass?

I think you are going to get a wide variety of responses about antenna's, as I think everyone is using something different.

I'm running a 4ft Wilson Flex fibreglass whip antenna; been using it a couple of years with no problems.
rmarles
Sparkplug
Sparkplug

Post by rmarles »

sandor wrote:Why not fibreglass?
I was told fibreglass antennas aren't as flexible on the trail (it's more likely to catch & then break something, makes sense).

Also, from what I've read on http://www.cobra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, fibreglass antennas don't appear to be as easy to SWR tune, at least in my opinion. To me, if you have to cut the coil in order to tune it, it would be easy to over do it and now you have a permanent "whoops". Maybe I'm over analyzing it tho :)
Pezzy
Make/Model: Ford F150
Year: 2018
Tim's: Steeped Tea, 1/2 Sugar

Post by Pezzy »

I have a personal hate on for fiberglass (Not a fan of shards in my hand). But they can be used with a spring at the mount, and you shouldn't have to worry about it breaking on the trail.
I my PATHFInDERs.
R.I.P. 99.5 Green Machine :cry:
Rev

Post by Rev »

They can be used. Sandor has a nice flexi one.

I do suggest the 4' hyrbrid metal whip I have from Radioworld. $15. Gets amazing reception, and nothing to break.
sandor
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: SAS Xterra
Year: 2000

Post by sandor »

My fibreglass whip bends 180 and has a tunable tip. Loosen the allen screw and move the brass tip up or down to tune, and tighten the set screw.
Not trying to sway you towards fibreglass, just letting you know that not all fibreglass is bad.
rmarles
Sparkplug
Sparkplug

Post by rmarles »

sandor wrote:My fibreglass whip bends 180 and has a tunable tip. Loosen the allen screw and move the brass tip up or down to tune, and tighten the set screw.
Ok - this is why I posted - I didn't know you could get springs/coils to absorb the whipping action, and that some fibreglass models had a tunable tip as you describe. You learn something new every day.

Next time I'm looking at antennas, I have some things to look for now.

Keep the tips coming guys :)
Fyrtowr
Year: 06/02
Tim's: FV Cappy (Iced in Summer)

Post by Fyrtowr »

All this very informative CB radio talk, no one has yet mentioned that Channel 42 is the CNTC channel. :thumbup:
"You meet a lot of ladies driving an Xterra because you pull up to a stoplight and look over and there's an Xterra next to you, they're always driven by chicks. So there's your ice breaker." ~ Andy Bernard; The Office
Scotto
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2006
Tim's: L Reg

Post by Scotto »

Channel 24, not 42.
dududuckling
Make/Model: Pathfinder SE
Year: 2002
Tim's: Iced Coffee

Post by dududuckling »

Channel 42 is only used when we need to talk to Rod, hahaha...
2002 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2000 Nissan Pathfinder SE
Snafu
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Xterra S
Year: 2007
Tim's: Double milk - no sugar

Post by Snafu »

The springs are good but with an 8' whip it flexes a lot. I usually have mine tied down to the roof or I tie it to the tailgate to keep it from whipping around too much. I also put a tennis ball lower on the whip to keep it away from the paint.
Worlds Greatest Acronym:
A.D.O.S.S: Attention Deficit Oooooo Something Shiny! (thanks Simon!)

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.
rmarles
Sparkplug
Sparkplug

Post by rmarles »

I think I found my antenna - there's one at one of the truck stops near here that's primarily a 4' "military grade" (whatever that means) stainless mast, with the initial 6" or so being a fibreglasslike coil, all adjustable, etc. Next task is to pick it up and then figure out how/where to mount it...
Rev

Post by Rev »

rmarles wrote:I think I found my antenna - there's one at one of the truck stops near here that's primarily a 4' "military grade" (whatever that means) stainless mast, with the initial 6" or so being a fibreglasslike coil, all adjustable, etc. Next task is to pick it up and then figure out how/where to mount it...
sounds like what I have.
Fyrtowr
Year: 06/02
Tim's: FV Cappy (Iced in Summer)

Post by Fyrtowr »

rmarles wrote:I think I found my antenna - there's one at one of the truck stops near here that's primarily a 4' "military grade" (whatever that means) stainless mast, with the initial 6" or so being a fibreglasslike coil, all adjustable, etc. Next task is to pick it up and then figure out how/where to mount it...
Let me guess - was this at the Flying J??
"You meet a lot of ladies driving an Xterra because you pull up to a stoplight and look over and there's an Xterra next to you, they're always driven by chicks. So there's your ice breaker." ~ Andy Bernard; The Office