rocker guard

Having problems with your Nissan truck? Search & post here!
nathan
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2004
Tim's: dd

rocker guard

Post by nathan »

So after trying to do some paint touch ups, I have realized I have no skills in this area of touching up. That being said what would you guys say about rocker guard. The whole truck. I would sand the paint a bit, then tape everything off. Spray the rocker guard. And then either paint a gloss black and then clear coat the truck. Or rocker guard and then just clear coat.

I basically am looking for input and constructive thoughts. I know its a bit crazy but I can get a deal on supplies. It will cut down on rust and stop scratches.
2" BL / 31 MT's on DC-1 RIMS, 2 100 WATT AND 2 55 WATT ROOF MOUNTED LIGHTS
Rev
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Xterra SE
Year: 2008
Tim's: Hot chocolate

Re: rocker guard

Post by Rev »

A guy did this with bedliner on thenewx
sandor
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: SAS Xterra
Year: 2000

Post by sandor »

My personal opinion is that if you were to sell it in the future, you would still get more for the truck full of scratches and rust than a rocker guard paint job. Although you may like it, and you may find others that do too, I am thinking that the majority of people won't take to it, and resale value will be low.

If you don't care, go for it!!!
petespath
Farmer
Farmer
Make/Model: Hyundai Elantra
Year: 2009
Tim's: Wish I had a Nissan

Post by petespath »

Not sure where all the scraches are, but I have seen trucks with the lower half done in rocker guard, and it looks OK.
Jayman
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Year: 2002
Tim's: Double Double

Post by Jayman »

I think like Pete said, it you are in it for the LONG LONG haul with that truck, then go for it, but if you EVER plan to sell it, then you might want to rethink it.

I was chatting with Holiday Nation about this very topic this past weekend when we were doing his Upper control arms. There is a point in modding your vehicle where there is no turning back (at least not without significant cost to get back to stock form), and rocker-guarding your entire truck would be one of those crossroads for you.

Sure, you could go back to a regular paint job afterwards, but it would cost you a BUNDLE...
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
steelcityslicker
Tim's: Coffee is good.

Post by steelcityslicker »

If you are unhappy with the touch up results then perhaps look into getting a pro to re-touch the touch ups? If the spots are on a panel like a rear hatch for example they can just fix it and spray the whole hatch. You wouldn't even notice it was done. I was thinking this very same thing not to long ago but i quickly realized that in my situation i know i'll get many more scratches from branches and such so why bother. If yours has some rust spots it's always better to have them done properly to stop it before it gets bad. I'm def in agreement with Pete and Jay. Go for it if you want to just take a look at other trucks that have done it just to get an idea before making that huge commitment. What colour were you thinking of?

Btw, i still have that brush guard for you if you want it.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter". - Hemingway
nathan
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by nathan »

Yes I would still like the brush guard, and I was going to get a gloss black rocker guard or paint over it in gloss black and then maybe put a clear coat. I am not a hundred percent sure. I have been looking around for a write up but have yet to find one. I do plan on keeping the rig as well. Now if this procedure is 500 or more I don't think I will do it. But I think it will only take 10 cans to do the truck. And I can get a can for 6.50. Now if that is the gloss kind or not I don't know yet.

Can anybody see and problems with this procedure. I.e. Gas difference???
Snafu
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Xterra S
Year: 2007
Tim's: Double milk - no sugar

Post by Snafu »

When the truck gets up over 200,000km there may not be much of a differnce in price when you do decide to sell. I put rocker guard on my rear bumper and it doesn't look too bad but t his is my opinion - everyone else might be laughing ;) Next up are the rocker panels...one day...before any holes start.

Personally I wouldn't do the whole truck. It would add a fair bit of weight to the truck

As Dave suggested, lok for a pro for touch ups. See if they are willing to give you some pointers on how to do the basic preliminary stuff yourself and they can do the last bits.
Worlds Greatest Acronym:
A.D.O.S.S: Attention Deficit Oooooo Something Shiny! (thanks Simon!)

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.
Scotto
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2006
Tim's: L Reg

Post by Scotto »

I wouldn't bother. What I would do, if I was you, is take it to a guy, sand blast that god-awful colour that's on it now straight off, clean the metal, and then go solar yellow.

AFAIK, rock guard does not come in solar yellow, so what's the point?

Scott

P.S. And in all seriousness, the factory paint (aside from the rear door) is very good. Pin-stripes and what-not add character. And when I look at my truck, which has been through a lot trees, it's not really even noticeable. Especially after being clay-barred.
steelcityslicker
Tim's: Coffee is good.

Post by steelcityslicker »

Holy crap! I didn't even think of the weight you would be adding. Grab the 10 cans, lift them all at once and decide whether or not you wanna drive that around! Just kidding man, go nuts if you wanna do it.

And i promise i won't throw that brush guard out.

Here's a CJ done in LineX. Is this product something to consider? Or are you only considering the rockerguard because you get it at a good price?

I think it looks pretty good actually. If you search LineX trucks you'll find others. It reminds me of sueded paint jobs that they had on old rods.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter". - Hemingway
Bow_Tied
Reactions score: 5
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Post by Bow_Tied »

FWIW, I had a trailer floor done by the local line-x place for a work project and they did a great job.
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
nathan
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by nathan »

No I am not just going for rocker guard. It was the only one I could think of.
petespath
Farmer
Farmer
Make/Model: Hyundai Elantra
Year: 2009
Tim's: Wish I had a Nissan

Post by petespath »

I would do the lower half of the vehicle in black. Don't listen to these other guys they no not what they say. :cool:

Do it! Do it now!
dududuckling
Make/Model: Pathfinder SE
Year: 2002
Tim's: Iced Coffee

Post by dududuckling »

I agree with Dave. Line-X does look good, but that's my personal opinion. Here's a picture of Line-Xed mustang:

He even line-xed the headlight. There are more pictures:

http://www.line-x.com/ImageGallery/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2002 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2000 Nissan Pathfinder SE
Snafu
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Xterra S
Year: 2007
Tim's: Double milk - no sugar

Post by Snafu »

lmao...10 cans of rocker gaurd...heavy stuff. Not sure if 10 would be enough but hey I aint driving it.

I do recall when bed liners first came out the biggest criticism was the weight and that was just for the bed. Maybe it is much lighter today.
Worlds Greatest Acronym:
A.D.O.S.S: Attention Deficit Oooooo Something Shiny! (thanks Simon!)

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.
deeker
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Rubicon Unlimited
Year: 2008
Tim's: Dr. Pepper!

Post by deeker »

The bedliner stuff comes in all sorts of colours - have at it. Make sure that any rust holes are cleaned up before putting it on, though. A farmer friend put his foot and leg through the bed of his old Chevy pick up because it had rusted out from underneath.