Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Nissan Pathfinder
Year: 1997
Tim's: 2c 3s w/ B.C.

Oil Filter Relocations GOOD OR BAD?

Post by Nissanboy97 »

I bought a oil filter relocation kit last weekend at an auto show for very cheap just wondering if anyone has used one before and if theyre reliable or a bad choice to put on the vehicle. It has the option to relocate the drain plug but im only relocating the filter. So any opinions on this mod?
STOCK..............................AGAIN!!!!
Bow_Tied
Reactions score: 4
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Re: Oil Filter Relocations GOOD OR BAD?

Post by Bow_Tied »

I have never done this mod, however my Jimmy comes with this stock. It always leaks a bit and I have heard this from others. Mine also has a tendancy to make the filter really hard to remove (tight), but that could be just because it is old, I dunno. From that perspective, I'd say make sure the filter head is mounted to something good and solid so it doesn't bend.
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
HotWod
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Pathfinder LE
Year: 1998
Tim's: Coffee!

Post by HotWod »

Buy a good reloc kit! Like Ron said, when the filter gets stuck you'll brake the filter mount... and the shltty ones leak (also said by Ron)
"I believe Chevy's are like tampons, every pussy has one" - Unknown Wiseman
GWH
Make/Model: Ford F150
Year: 1999
Tim's: Starbucks or nothing...

Post by GWH »

definitely good... if you could have got the dual filter kit it would have increased the oil capacity even more.
Bender
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Nissan Sentra SER
Year: 2011
Tim's: Mcdonalds coffee

Post by Bender »

I don't like these kits. For one, everyone I have talked with that had one in the past has had or still have a leaking issue. secondly, when you take them off they drip oil everywhere, and I personally don't get why the need. If you got the dual one, and were running synthetic oil, I could understand it, but you are already down there draining the oil, so why move the filter up?
Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Post by Simon »

The benefit on an R50 is that if you relocate the oil filter, you don't have to remove the front skidplate for oil changes as you typically do.

That said, I've heard nothing but bad things about relocation kits, and though mine didn't leak in my old Pathy, I have heard enough horror stories that I decided to leave it in the truck when I got rid of it.
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
Scotto
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2006
Tim's: L Reg

Post by Scotto »

Got rid of mine.
Jayman
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Year: 2002
Tim's: Double Double

Post by Jayman »

I've had one sitting in my garage for 4 years, with the intention of installing it at some point. I have yet to get around to doing it. What I liked about it was the fact that it comes made for the Ford V8 oil filters, which are HUGE in comparison to the stock Nissan one. And with the dual filter kit I have, it means twice the filtration.

The issue for me is with the SC and the dual kit, space is already limited in the engine bay, and the hoses that came with my kit were not long enough to go anywhere else.

I at some point, will attempt the install, possibly with longer hoses from PA or someplace. Just have to figure out where to relocate too, and then get hoses to reach.

The question I get into at that point, is whether or not the oil pump can handle the increased capacity and distance. I'm not really sure if that is an issue or not though...
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
Bow_Tied
Reactions score: 4
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Post by Bow_Tied »

The one on my Jimmy is OEM since there is no room in the usual spot on 4wd models. It does have an access door so getting to it and a mess everywhere is minimized. Even still the only reason I would ever consider it on my R50 is to get rid of the acorn sized oil filter (what where they thinking?). I strongly doubt any of us need dual filters, but if you have the room and don't mind the added maintenance expense it can't hurt anything I wouldn' think.

Does anyone have any guess as to cause of leaks - are these cheaply machined or do they loosen over time?
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
Bender
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Bender »

I don't see it being a problem with the pump, as you will have to add extra oil anyways to compensate for long lines and two gigantic Ford oil filters.

I realize the benefits of better filtration, but your cost on an oil change every 6000 KM's just went up a fair bit now. In the long run, shortening intervals between oil changes would cost about the same but by far a more superior beneficial choice out of the two IMHO.
Jayman

Post by Jayman »

Well, I won't get too deep into this, because I don't have enough info about it to actually defend the position, but there is a good bit of information out there about extending your oil changes by swapping the filter, instead of both the oil and the filter.

When you think about it, the main issue isn’t the oil itself; it’s the oil becoming contaminated that is the problem. The filter is there to remove those contaminants. Once the filter reaches its filtering capacity (essentially gets clogged with gunk), it goes into bypass mode and lets the oil circulate through the system without being filtered. Dirty oil IS better then NO oil after all. And obviously, more contaminants means that the oil isn’t doing its job as effectively as it should, which compounds the problem.

SOOOO, two filters (way bigger filters too) will do a better job at filtering the oil of contaminants, and therefore extending the life of the oil, and your motor.

Not only do you have more oil to better lubricate the motor with, you also have what equates to about 4 times the filtering capacity to filter said oil of contaminants.

All of this means that you should be able to go longer between oil changes, which decreases the additional costs for oil and the extra filter.
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
Bender
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Bender »

If it really was the cats pajamas everyone would have one and you wouldn't be holding on to yours so long before installing it. I think I will take the engineers reccommendations on what my vehicle needs and just do my oil changes on time or early. I have almost 220,000 KM's on the old girl and shes runs fine. She is in fact getting the cancer removed today, and I have never painted a car before in my life.

To say the relocation is a good idea for easy changing is one thing, but not for longer life, as the oil loses it's viscosity as well as get contaminated.

I guess what ever makes you feel more comfortable is really what matters. :thumbup:
Jayman

Post by Jayman »

Bender wrote:If it really was the cats pajamas everyone would have one and you wouldn't be holding on to yours so long before installing it. I think I will take the engineers recommendations on what my vehicle needs and just do my oil changes on time or early. I have almost 220,000 KM's on the old girl and she runs fine. She is in fact getting the cancer removed today, and I have never painted a car before in my life.

To say the relocation is a good idea for easy changing is one thing, but not for longer life, as the oil loses it's viscosity as well as get contaminated.

I guess what ever makes you feel more comfortable is really what matters. :thumbup:
Yeah, my truck has 210,000 on it, and it runs fine as well, and I have yet to put the kit in, so…

And as for my kit, I’ve had it sitting in my garage for 4 years more because of the fact that I just haven't gotten around to installing it, as opposed to me having any apprehension in using it. I know that most who have had theirs in, have complained about minor leaks here and there. I think that has more to do with the fittings used then anything else.

Anyways, I agree the engineer’s recommendations on oil change intervals are there for a reason, and should be followed accordingly. Adding additional oil and a second filter won’t do any HARM, that I’m pretty sure about. :teeth:

You do however, have to factor in cost for the manufacturer to produce each vehicle, and the impact each part has on their cost. The bottom line is the still the bottom line. If the manufacturer can put in 3.7L of oil instead of 4L, and use a smaller filter, then it saves them $$$ to produce each vehicle. The final product is almost never what the engineer originally recommended when it was originally designed. If that was the case, we'd all be driving around with 10L of oil in the truck, and quad filters. My point there is that its a compromise between the engineer’s recommendations, and what it costs to produce the vehicle.

So instead of 4L, we get 3.7, and a tiny filter. Which so far has been just fine, as there has been no oil issues with our engines. I still change mine a bit early just because it seems like such a small amount of oil.

What I meant by extending the life of the oil was more towards the fact that because you have the larger filter, or in my case two larger filters, you can filter the oil and remove contaminants longer before the filters go into bypass mode.

By no means am I saying “By adding the relocation kit in, you can effectively double your driving distance before oil changes!”

I’m just saying that with dual filters, and more oil, you have the ability to keep your oil cleaner, for longer, which can provide better protection.

Yes the oil will still loose its viscosity over time. Nothing you can do about that.
Bender
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Bender »

Trust me when I tell you that they may, and thats a big may, being trying to skimp on parts cost, but I know Nissan is not in the business of replacing engines due to small oil filters and small liters of oil. ;)
Jayman

Post by Jayman »

Bender wrote:Trust me when I tell you that they may, and thats a big may, being trying to skimp on parts cost, but I know Nissan is not in the business of replacing engines due to small oil filters and small liters of oil. ;)
Totally agree... :cool:
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

Also the good thing about the kit is that it uses the PH8 filter which you can get anywhere. I have found that quite a few stores don't stock the filter for the wd21. The only place I can get a non fram is Napa and even they don't always have it.

I've been considering one for a while now but I have 310k and the motor runs and sounds perfect. I don't even get lifter tick.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
nige
Make/Model: D22 XE 4x4
Year: 2004
Tim's: LG 2C1S

Post by nige »

i've had one on mine for 5 years or so now. It supposedly is required for clearance of headers, but i have never tried to put the stock filter back in place after adding headers. It worked great for the last 4.5 years, then the gasket on the adapter to the block leaked and i had to replace it. The hoses are also looking worn, but they don't leak. If there is nothing wrong with your current filter setup, just leave it alone.
OF4WD Member #5472