New vehicle advise

General Chat about the forum, it's members & their trucks.
Chandler
I'm learning to use 4-hi
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Frontier Crew Cab
Year: 2003
Tim's: Large, 1 sugar

New vehicle advise

Post by Chandler »

Hey All,
I'm in the market for a new vehicle (keeping the Frontier). Not sure if I'm gonna go new or used, but likley something 3 years old or newer. Wonderd if anyone had any experience/advise on the Murano, Rouge or (and yes I know it makes me a tratior) the CRV?
Any advise is greatly appericated.
petespath
Farmer
Farmer
Make/Model: Hyundai Elantra
Year: 2009
Tim's: Wish I had a Nissan

Re: New vehicle advise

Post by petespath »

Check the lemonaide guide for used vehicles.
I think the CRV got a very good rating.
Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Post by Simon »

Rogue and Murano are 2 very different animals, at very different price points. The Rogue and CRV would be comparable, and I know of a couple of CRV owners who looked at both, and only chose the CRV due to better financing options at the time.

If you're looking at the Murano, it's a beautiful crossover, for which Honda does not have an answer. But you're going to pay a premium for it.
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
Bow_Tied
Reactions score: 4
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Post by Bow_Tied »

I you focused on only those three? As Simon says, the Murano is a different animal and that may open up some other options we could advise you on.... Is this a commuter or a family vehicle or?
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
JAS
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Make/Model: Xterra Off-road
Year: 2008
Tim's: Large Regular

Post by JAS »

Our second vehicle is a CRV and we love it. I hate to say it but it blows the Nissan away in terms of maintenance. We have not had any issue unlike the Xterra - I would highly recommend it. Don't know anything about the two Nissans you are looking at.
"I don’t care to belong to any club that will have me as a member." - Groucho Marx
Chandler
I'm learning to use 4-hi
Make/Model: Frontier Crew Cab
Tim's: Large, 1 sugar

Post by Chandler »

Thanks,
What ever the vehicle is will be replacing a 2001 civic which has been a dream (just a size issue now with kids). The Murano (used) is actually in the same range price wise as the CRV. I did check them out on lemonaid and the CRV had the best write up with the lowest manitenance and highest resale.
I hate buying cars!!
studum
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Make/Model: Frontier CC SC
Tim's: Large 1 milk

Post by studum »

I can't comment from personal experiences with any of them - but I've had more than a few cars in my 10 years of ownership (I'm on my 7th, 9th if you include the cars I've gotten my wife).

The only thing that I would suggest these days are test drive one of everything in your price range. These days you don't know what you will like, and what you will fall in love with.

FWIW in your situation I would be looking at 1-2 year old certified used vehicles. They will save you some coin, basically be new still and come with manufacturer warranty. Unless of course you make a decision and financing deals on new make it more worth it to buy new. I was helping my brother buy a car this year and that was exactly the case...

I'm the contrary, I love buying cars. Maybe a bit too much lol.
Ryan S. - Playing "keep it alive" with the Silver Spur.
SkinnyPedal
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Make/Model: Lexus LX
Year: 2006

Post by SkinnyPedal »

If the Murano and Rogue are on your short list, be sure to check out the Juke while you're there: http://www.nissan.ca/vehicles/suv/juke/en/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks better in person than is does in pics imo...apparently it moves along pretty well too.
SkinnyPedal
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Make/Model: Lexus LX
Year: 2006

Post by SkinnyPedal »

Jeez, I take it back, after watching the videos on the right hand side of that Juke page, my updated advice is to get a good used CRV!
xrover
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Nissan Xterra
Year: 2005
Tim's: Large, DC, 1 sweetner

Post by xrover »

Used. Let someone else take the 30% drop in price.
2005 Nissan Xterra
2014 Argo 650HD 6x6
HolidayNation
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Xterra XE stick
Year: 2004
Tim's: 60oz BEER please

Post by HolidayNation »

How did you come up with your short list?

I don't know squat about the rogue, but know a couple of satisfied X-trail owners, more than a couple happy CRV owners, and a couple of very happy murano owners. I would be suspect of a murano in a similar price range as the CRV,Roque if you are comparing similar years,milage etc. There is always fear of the lemon no matter what you buy, so get it checked and aim for some sort of aftermarket warranty. I wouldn't cut your list too short either if you are searching for a family truckster. There are some good rides out there for this purpose. Personally, I think the new style CRVs are butt ugly and the rogue looks like a half pint version of the murano. I love the murano, and always have, I think it led the way for the new sporty crossover look, but not sure they are worth the coin(they are a dream to drive though). You should also probably take a look at the (and it pains me greatly to say), hyundai and mitsubishi, they also make decent reliable rides.

As for maintenance, you're going to have to deal with it, no matter what you buy. We have and love our honda odyssey, but alas it is on it's 3rd tranny(including factory)(120000miles) and the last one wasn't on their dime. So there is always a cross to bare, so it depends on what you want and need and what you want to pay for said comforts.

If mitsubishi ever brought the Delica to Canada, I know what my next ride would be.

good luck and enjoy, buying a new ride can be one of man's greatest pleasures :)
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREYs WITHOUT BATS]- :)
Where's Slawek?........... Crunch?
Aerosols may be depleting the ozone, but warning labels are depleting the gene pool
OF4WD-5557
xrover
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Nissan Xterra
Year: 2005
Tim's: Large, DC, 1 sweetner

Post by xrover »

A friend of mine swears by Subarus. Loves them. And they are great deal compared to HonToys. A nice AWD for the wife never hurts.
Yea they look geeky but apparently dependable.
2005 Nissan Xterra
2014 Argo 650HD 6x6
studum
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Make/Model: Frontier CC SC
Tim's: Large 1 milk

Post by studum »

Cough, cough...

I would absolutely not hesitate to recommend a Suby either. At one time I had 2 in my driveway. They're comfortable, safe and roomy. Lack a little in the power department on base models, but that may be because they're heavy due to the AWD - which by the way they do very, very well.

It would definitely be worth looking into a Forester, or even an Outback. They're very reliable and very easy to work on - they were my first cars that got me into doing my own work.
Ryan S. - Playing "keep it alive" with the Silver Spur.
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Mazda5? Cx-7?

There's no Mazda-lovin' in here, so figured I'd have to add some :D Btw, I sat in a passenger seat of a Cx7 at Dunneville Autodome (yes, a race track) and I totally forgot I was in a non-sports car. Wow what a ride!

Regardless, everyone had made great suggestions and I can't say anything bad about any on of them. Rav4 is another option, but being a Toyota, I can see them being pricey.

The only thing I can add is don't make a short list, make a list and test drive them all. You can read all the reviews you want and we can rant and rave about all of them, but in the end it's you that decide, and you can't chose until to get a real-life feel for them, than narrow down the list from there. Shopping for cars and taking them for test drives is fun! Go out there and enjoy your shopping experience.

Actually, here's a question no one had asked yet: What exactly are you looking for in this new vehicle?
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

Another one to look at is the Volkswagen Tiguan.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
superchargedx
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: Large DD

Post by superchargedx »

Ill put in another vote for the Subaru!!
we also have a 2009 Subaru Impreza Sport and it is one great car!!!
Safe, fun, sporty, and unreal AWD system.