Lugnut
Lugnut
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2001
Tim's: large 1 milk 2 sugar

armour questions.

Post by bruteforce08 »

I finally did a pml with some help from a spring shop. Now I want to make/purchase some skids and rock rails. I'm on a 30 year old in college with a mortgage and two kids budget. So I'd like to make my own. Could probably do it for under 300 bucks as I get steel at cost. Any ideas??? Fo the rails I'm thinking 2x4 tubing. For the skids I'm thinking 3/16 will be enough. The rails don't look all that hard to make. Use the existing holes from the step bars and lots of fitting and tacking. The skids however look complicated.
sandor
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: SAS Xterra
Year: 2000

Re: armour questions.

Post by sandor »

Sliders can be made without a shop-load of fancy tools. Your approach sounds about right.

Skids on the other hand will require a break capable of bending 3/16's if you want to do them right. I had an engine/ transmission skid made for about $80 - that included material and having it bent; I did the rest of the cutting and drilling. The fuel tank skid is probably the toughest one - lots of cuts/ bends. Had mine made by the in-laws - turned out great.

I am re-using the factory front skid and transfer case skid for now. Although these skids will not take a lot to make, I'm just going to leave the factory ones in for now. There is a lot of crush room behind the front skid so if it takes a good hit, it will likely still protect whatever is behind it, and although it may get deformed, it is far enough away from anything that it can get damaged and not come in contact with anything vital. For the transfer case, I found that if a skid is fastened between the transmission support cross-member and the torsion bar mount cross-member, the skid is actually only about 1/4" away from the t-case, so a good hit will deform the skid into the t-case, and then potentially cause an annoying rattle later. It can be spaced down further to allow more room for defection, but then it is hanging down lower than the factory skid. The factory skid is bolted directly to the t-case will not shield the t-case from impact, but it will prevent the t-case from direct contact.

If you are going to make your own skids, try to borrow a set from someone as a pattern; it's just easier that way. My fuel tank skid was based on another one. My engine/trans skid was a unique creation. Since the others skids will be adjacent to the engine/trans, I am stuck with my own designs on those now.
AlexJet
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Make/Model: Toyota 4Runner
Year: 2005
Tim's: French Vanila Capuchino

Post by AlexJet »

Sliders and skids are pretty easy to make in your garage. Do you have any fabbing tools?
As of sliders I'd recommend to make a base out of 2" square tube .185 wall and the actual slider out of DOM 1.5" .120 wall tube. The tube can be bend at both ends (preferable) to increase sliding capabilities and it will look very nice on the truck.
Skids are usually made out of 3/16" hot roll steel, but if you want to save weight they can be made out of 1/8" steel instead. In the latest case for rigidity you'd need to make it fancy looking, but at the end you have nice looking skid which also doesn't weight allot.
I can make you a few pictures of what I have on my truck for reference if you want it.
bruteforce08
Lugnut
Lugnut

Post by bruteforce08 »

I also thought about making the sliders the way you mentioned. Sliders look easy. Just fab up and bolt up where the stock ones were right? My wife needs them and is actually getting grumpy about the lack of step pads. So why not make them tough enough to bash a bit right?

I also have a half sheet of 3/8"s in my garage for skids, overkill ,but I've got it. The only thing I'm not quite sure about is where to bolt them up. That's kind of why I was hoping for a good under the truck picture. I have the tools I need except for a way to bend pipe which is why I thought about using square stock.

I would appreciate a picture or two if you have the time. Thanks.
sandor
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sandor »

3/8's is some serious stuff. I made mine from 3/16's, and they are H-E-A-V-Y. I weighed my engine/trans skid, and it was 48 lbs. Never weighed the fuel skid, but it weighs about the same. 3/8's will add a bunch of weight to your truck.

Just to give you an idea of how fast it all adds up, my truck weighed in at 2120 kgs when I went across the scales the other day.

My 2000 XE starts off at ~1785kg's; so after you take into account fuel and me (a combined 100 kgs), I've added ~235 kg (515 lbs) in armor so far.
Last edited by sandor on Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlexJet
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Make/Model: Toyota 4Runner
Year: 2005
Tim's: French Vanila Capuchino

Post by AlexJet »

bruteforce08 wrote:I also thought about making the sliders the way you mentioned. Sliders look easy. Just fab up and bolt up where the stock ones were right? My wife needs them and is actually getting grumpy about the lack of step pads. So why not make them tough enough to bash a bit right?

I also have a half sheet of 3/8"s in my garage for skids, overkill ,but I've got it. The only thing I'm not quite sure about is where to bolt them up. That's kind of why I was hoping for a good under the truck picture. I have the tools I need except for a way to bend pipe which is why I thought about using square stock.

I would appreciate a picture or two if you have the time. Thanks.
I have all necessary tools in my garage including Tube bender, notcher and welder.
You more then welcome to pass buy and we can see what we can do about it. :weld:
LGM
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Make/Model: Pathfinder Chilkoot
Year: 1998
Tim's: Double Double

Post by LGM »

I'll jack this thread and ask here instead of cluttering the forums;
does anyone know the measurements or have pics of the R50 skids? (not the front, getting one off Hotwod)
also, I was looking under my truck and noticed that my transfer case seems to be the lowest part of my truck :wtf?: ? is that normal?
All Your Base Are Belong To Us!
Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Post by Simon »

Yeah, the t-case on the R50's sits low. It's a bit of a pain in the ass.

In terms of the skids, I can get you a couple pics of Pezzy's BlackPanther skids tomorrow.
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
sandor
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sandor »

Here's a pic of some Black Panther skids on an R50
A little crazy lookin'
Pezzy
Make/Model: Ford F150
Year: 2018
Tim's: Steeped Tea, 1/2 Sugar

Post by Pezzy »

Simon wrote:Yeah, the t-case on the R50's sits low. It's a bit of a pain in the ass.
Ive had my Tcase skid for at least 4 years, and only on the truck for one season. The season it was on, it got pushed up into the t-case (more than once, we added spacers, and I pushed it again) and it rattled like a mofo. Working out new mounting points for that badboy is on the to do list. :judge:
I my PATHFInDERs.
R.I.P. 99.5 Green Machine :cry:
01R50
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Jimmy

Post by 01R50 »

Made myself the front one today.

My 1988 Nissan Hardbody: http://www.cdn-ntc.ca/phpBB3/viewtopic. ... 45&p=63250
2001 Pathfinder SE - RIP
LGM
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Make/Model: Pathfinder Chilkoot
Year: 1998

Post by LGM »

Simon wrote:Yeah, the t-case on the R50's sits low. It's a bit of a pain in the ass.

In terms of the skids, I can get you a couple pics of Pezzy's BlackPanther skids tomorrow.
:thumbup: Thanks Simon. I was thinking of making something outta the little bit of diamond plate I've got here, but I can't fathom where to mount one, or the measurements.

Thanks Sandor, they are pretty crazy looking.

01R50, good job man! looks good.
All Your Base Are Belong To Us!
bruteforce08
Lugnut
Lugnut

Post by bruteforce08 »

I'm working on it..finally have some spare time. I've got everything sheared/cut, it's just waiting for my lazy butt to get out to the shop! So far the hardest part has been figuring out how to mount it all, Nissan didn't make it easy that's for sure.

I'm starting to wonder if losing the inch and a half/three quarters of ground clearance is worth the effort though. Problem is, I get worried everytime a rock you don't see hits something. My favourite words in that situation, "What the #$%^ was that!?"
Jayman
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Year: 2002

Post by Jayman »

bruteforce08 wrote:Problem is, I get worried everytime a rock you don't see hits something. My favourite words in that situation, "What the #$%^ was that!?"
...And your butt is clinched up so tight your breath smells like your seat covers...

THAT is why I bought skid plates.
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
yazza
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Solar Yellow Xterra
Year: 2003
Tim's: Large Regular

Post by yazza »

Can anyone suggest a good place in Ontario to get skid plates for an Xterra?
Jayman
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Year: 2002

Post by Jayman »

yazza wrote:Can anyone suggest a good place in Ontario to get skid plates for an Xterra?
Therein lies the challenge for just about every Nissan owner, not just Xterra owners...

There are more then a few places that will custom make some skids for your truck, for a price, but when it comes to a place that offers off the shelf skids for your truck, the quick and dirty answer is no.

There are only a few companies that offer skids for the Xterra as part of their product line, and they are all in the USA.

If you are looking to get something made for your truck, there are lots of fab shops that could help you out.

You also have the option of picking the minds of some of the members who have made their own.
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.