PathyConvert
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Pathfinder Chinook
Year: 2004
Tim's: Steeped tea, 2M

Toyo or Michelin?

Post by PathyConvert »

Hi all,

Been a long time since I last posted. I know a lot of folks ask about tires, but I'd love to hear some feedback. Currently driving a VERY low mileage 2004 Pathfinder Chinook, and it's long past due for new tires. Got the truck from the Mom-in-law last May with only 22000Km on it! Came with the OEM crap Dunlop tires, but I used them for the summer until the fall.

Bought some dedicated winter rubber since I am a firm believer in the benefits of proper winter tires. Settled on a great set of Toyo Open Country G02plus (the ones with the crushed walnut shells in the tread). I've been super happy with the tires and they have been light years better than the CT Goodyear Nordics that I had on my old Outback.

Anyway, I visited my tire dealer and have narrowed my choice of all-season (3 season really) tires down to two. I'm looking at either the Toyo Open Country HT, or the Michelin LTX M/S2.

I'm going with a highway tire because 98% of my driving is on roads. But I also need a tire that won't be complete crap when on gravel or easy trails while camping/cottaging etc...

Toyos will cost $810.00 (installed, taxes included and after $30 rebate)
Michelins will cost $928 (installed, taxes in, $70 rebate)

Are the Michelins worth the extra $118??

Any help is greatly appreciated! :thumbup:
nige
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: D22 XE 4x4
Tim's: LG 2C1S

Re: Toyo or Michelin?

Post by nige »

i have had michelins on a couple different trucks and they always felt great. Even the more aggresive mud and snow versions were very good, well-wearing tires. I had ltx/ms on my pathfinder when i received it and they were very nice, comfortable tires even though they were <50% worn
OF4WD Member #5472
dududuckling
Make/Model: Pathfinder SE
Year: 2002
Tim's: Iced Coffee

Post by dududuckling »

I've had Michelin in the past. Bought the truck used at 150,000 km with used Michelin tires, and put another 50,000 km. I like them in both wet and dry pavement, and even in the winters. And I'm pretty sure its the Michelin LTX.

And currently, I'm using Michelin winters and I like them a lot too! Really quiet on the street, no hydroplaning, and a little mall-wheeling on them (up and down the curbs, and through some pot holes).
2002 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2000 Nissan Pathfinder SE
PathyConvert
Make/Model: Pathfinder Chinook
Tim's: Steeped tea, 2M

Post by PathyConvert »

Well, that's two votes for the MIchelins so far. Thanks for your feedback so far.