What's new & exciting on your truck?
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: Medium Regular

A couple bodywork questions

Post by Adam »

So I'm doing the body work to the truck finally and I've got a few q's for someone who may have removed these before.

First is this:

How do you remove that plastic piece? I tried prying at it but didn't want to break it...

Then there is this, should I attempt removing the window myself or should I just pay the $75 the glass place said they would charge to remove it and reinstall when the work is done?

Thanks in advance!

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
Simon
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Re: A couple bodywork questions

Post by Simon »

There are screws that hold that plastic piece in. You can see them under grommets, or internal trim (can't remember which)

For the glass, if you haven't done it before, I'd pay someone to do it, or practice on one of your parts trucks before going at your current rig.
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
rmarles
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Make/Model: Nissan Pathfinder
Year: 2001
Tim's: Regular

Post by rmarles »

I have the same problem beneath the glass on mine, and was just about to post the same question.

Good to know, thanks!

Good luck adamzan!
There's a Simpson's quote for that.
inblack
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: An MX5 and a CX-5
Year: 05 08
Tim's: Black, can't muck that up

Post by inblack »

both those trims are bolted on from the inside.
once you remove the inner liners you will be able to get the outer pieces off..

The bigger problem is the rust around the rear glass.
If it apears that big outside the trim/glass it is a safe bet it is almost similar sized under the trim/glass. Rust like that usualy grows circular.
if this is the case you will have to pull the glass to repair the 'cancer' otherwise any fix you do externally will be at best temporary as the corrosion under the glass will work it's way back out.
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

Thanks simon and inlback. I was gonna just rip it off glad I didn't! I'm going to cut the good section of that piece out of my parts truck for the one behind the window. I took the interior trim off on the inside and you could see the rust on the lip. I'll just weld in the new piece. Should work.

Rmarles. I would comb the wreckers for an r50 to do the same as me. I'm pretty sure the 96-99 rear windows are the same as the 99.5+ so they can all be a donor.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa