Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Re: Hi-Lift Roof Rack Mount?

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I haven't used the stock jack in a while and use y dad's floor jack, but Gino is partially right. I lift the truck by the axle in the rear (on the skidderz to be precise) and of course, tire size is the only thing that affects it. The front, I lift by the recommended jacking point on the frame, this is where I have to max out the jack to take the tires off, my 31 winters are ok, but putting the 32's on sometimes requires an extra 2x4 or 4x4 to get the extra height I need to change the tires.

There's a part of me that still wants to mount it to the rack (with a proper cover and lubed), but I did have the idea to make a bracket that mounts to the back of the rear seats exactly as Jayman described.
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
X-Treme
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Xterra - Offroad
Year: 2005

Post by X-Treme »

You've found that just moving up to a 32" (it's only a 1/2" difference) up front prevents you from being able to have enough clearance to remove the tire?
Watch it! I'm keeping my eye on you.
Jayman
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Year: 2002
Tim's: Double Double

Post by Jayman »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:I haven't used the stock jack in a while and use y dad's floor jack, but Gino is partially right. I lift the truck by the axle in the rear (on the skidderz to be precise) and of course, tire size is the only thing that affects it. The front, I lift by the recommended jacking point on the frame, this is where I have to max out the jack to take the tires off, my 31 winters are ok, but putting the 32's on sometimes requires an extra 2x4 or 4x4 to get the extra height I need to change the tires.

There's a part of me that still wants to mount it to the rack (with a proper cover and lubed), but I did have the idea to make a bracket that mounts to the back of the rear seats exactly as Jayman described.
I have had the same issue with my old floor jack, in attempting to use it to lift the truck to do a tire change. It would max out it's lifting range long before the tires got off the ground. For a bit there, I was actually using stacked pieces of 2x8 on top of the jack to get the truck off the ground. Not a perfect solution, but it got the truck up high enough for me to get my jack stands underneath, so...
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

Jayman wrote:
X-Treme wrote: And for the record, if you don't have sliders in replacement of your stock step-rails, a hi-lift is essentially useless for lifting the truck anyways. You need the sliders as a lift point.
Not sure if you're supposed to do this or not but I've been using the hi lift to jack my truck up by the trailer hitch then put jack stands under the rear end. Only when I was doing the rear brakes though.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I've got sliders, and I've also ordered the SBE adapter as well (in Red), it's on it's way and should easilly get home before I do unless it gets majorly stuck at the border. I got the V-Block, looks like it'll be more versatile and more stable than the half-round

I think we were workingon Rod's truck and lifted with a hi-jack from his rear bumper/trailer hitch...wasn't pretty
Scotto
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2006
Tim's: L Reg

Post by Scotto »

Ooohh.

Liking that SBE adapter. *Drools down shirt*
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Jayman, is your actually mounted to behind the back of the rear seats?
Jayman
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Tim's: Double Double

Hi-Lift Roof Rack Mount?

Post by Jayman »

It's not hard mounted, no. It's nestled right behind the seats

I have always had the intention of making something up so that it's hard mounted, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.