knock Sensor Relocation

Having problems with your Nissan truck? Search & post here!
ptbo_hunter
Lugnut
Lugnut
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2003

Re: knock Sensor Relocation

Post by ptbo_hunter »

So I did the knock sensor relocation over the weekend. I drove it for awhile and checked the codes and it is still throwing the P0328. I cleaned up one of the grounds that are located on the passeger side of the engine, I don't know if this could cause it, I will check it again in a few days. Does anyone have any other advice as to what I can do to fix this problem? I'm positive I have the wires hooked up properly, I checked the conectivty of the sensors center ring and the output plug connector, I had conectivity and I'm assuming this is the negative. I then hooked the negative wire from the sensor to the grey wire after I cut it from the large green connector, I never actually connected it to the wire extending from the plug but the other loose end, I'm assuming this goes to the ECU. In turn I did the same for the sensor wire itself but connected it to the yellow.
Any other advice would be great!
Thanks in advance!
Morpheus
Make/Model: Xterra
Tim's: 3x3

Post by Morpheus »

If you're sure that you don't have the wires hooked up backwards, then you've probably got a wiring harness problem.
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Indeed you can't assume that one is negative. You need to make sure the polarity is right otherwise it won't work either, easy fix however.

If you have to check the resistance of the knock sensor, see if it's within it's proper range; will tell you if it's good or not. Could be DOA.
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
ptbo_hunter
Lugnut
Lugnut

Post by ptbo_hunter »

When you say wire harness issue, so you mean at the ECU? The only other harness would be the one that is connected to the sensor which should be straight forward it only goen on one way. What sort of resitance should I be looking for? I can use a ohm meter to test it while it's running?
Scotto
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2006
Tim's: L Reg

Post by Scotto »

No - the harness is on top of the passenger side valve cover, not at the ECU. I suspect Morpheus is suggesting that the harness could be dirty and not functioning well.

Anyway, that harness on the valve cover is where you'll find the two little wires that go off to the KS. And the two little wires could be backwards. I just guessed when I did mine, and got it right. When I helped Bender, I had it backwards, and we had to redo it...

Mike will chip in on the resistance...
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

The resitance is 500K to 620K (500'000 to 620'000) Ohms at 77*F

Actually, the FSM says to check it at the ECM connector, but there's nothing to say you can't check it at the connector in the engine bay. Going all the way back to the ECM just makes sure that the entire length of the wire is intact to the ECM.

green connector:

ptbo_hunter
Lugnut
Lugnut

Post by ptbo_hunter »

ok so let me get this straight. I cut the two wires coming from the green connector on the front side of the plug(the side facing the front of truck). The two wires that are still connected to the plug are not the ones that I connect my wires coming from the knock sensor correct? I connected the knock sensor wires to the other 2 that are cut. At least that's how it looks in these diagrams. So the two wires that are still connected to the plug I just put heat shrink wraps on them and left them. So, I'm just curious why the harness being dirty would affect the new knock sensor when they don't run through it anymore? Maybe I'm wrong? Image 5 and 6 from the link show what I'm talking about.
http://www.nd4spdse.net/projects/xterra ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Sounds like it you've got it exactly right, connector would have no affect on the KS relocation
re-ride
I'm learning to use 4-hi
Make/Model: Frontier
Year: 2002
Tim's: black coffee

Post by re-ride »

so now i also have the knock sensor code. The truck is an 02 sc 3.3 and the posts ive read all recommend using a maxima ks for relocation with I believe is a 2002 frontier wiring harness, is this correct? If so is the only reason for using the maxima ks cost? I dont want to do the resistor bypass, nor do I want to chance the $20 ebay sensors. What does the stealer charge for these parts, and is there an alternate source for these parts in Canada?
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

The Nissan KS is something like $230-.

To answer the question about the Maxima KS (again) no one really knows why people went with the Maxima one, except perhaps that it's $30- cheaper than the Xterra one, and probably the same.

Yup, the $20 eBay KS is probably bad. That's why we went all out and bought the $60- version (included shipping). 12 or 15 of us went in on a group buy, and not one of us got a bad sensor. So you might want to rethink the eBay sensor. Other sources? I dunno. I suppose you could go down to your local NAPA and ask for a KS. See what they pull up.

Scott
studum
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Make/Model: Frontier CC SC
Tim's: Large 1 milk

Post by studum »

Any parts store can get you a KS, prices will vary and they won't be OEM. If you want a cheaper alternative I checked autopartsway.ca quick and they had one for your fronty for $70.

I was under the impression that people went to the Maxima KS to use the Maxima wire harness as an extension to keep it looking stock-ish. I could be off though, that's just what I thought was the reason for the Maxima sensor.
Ryan S. - Playing "keep it alive" with the Silver Spur.
Ozzker
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Pathfinder[s]
Year: 1980's
Tim's: Large Hot Chocolate

Post by Ozzker »

rockauto.com

I've dealt with them many times, and will deal with them again. Great service, great product, and unbeatable pricing. They usually ship Fed-Ex, and I have never had brokerage charged on the stuff that i've had shipped to Canada. When I have large orders, I ship to UPS Store 0682 in Buffalo, no more then 10 minutes from the Peace Bridge.

Knock sensors go anywhere from $30-$130 on their site depending on which brand you choose.
strykah
Make/Model: Frontier CC 2WD
Tim's: Black

Post by strykah »

Hello,
I bought a KS from ebay for 22 and it was still tossing codes after i relocated it, so i bout a new one at Parts Source, 55 was all it cost. Its still throwing codes, the only way the codes would stay off is if i used a resistor, (actually 2 in series, a 100kohm, and 460kohm).
Just some useless info for you.
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

Yeah, but at least it's good useless info. And someone will remember this around a campfire one night.

I can hear the conversation now:

"Some guy on the forum changed his KS and still got codes?"
"Yeah, so he got a new KS and it still threw codes."
"Where'd he get the sensor?"
"Ebay."
"Yeah, that's why."
"No he changed it out for not-ebay."
"Who was that?"
"Some guy."
"What guy?"
"Oh, I remember reading that! He bought from ebay and it was f****d."
"yeah, him."
"You mean the guy with the KS that had codes?"
"No, not him. The guy with the two KS that threw codes."
"Why would you put two KS in a truck?"
"No, he bought two KS and they were bad."

Etc, etc, etc.....
buttsy
Make/Model: Xterra 4x4 SC
Year: 2004
Tim's: L 1c

Post by buttsy »

I went with the resistor mod for now, and so far so good... Mileage is back to precode levels (I think) and she does seem peppier. I haven't had knocks yet, and I've been driving her pretty hard to try and incite some, but nothing as yet (knock on wood).
I can wire anything directly into anything... I'm the PROFESSOR