I've used 4-lo
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Toyota Land Cruiser
Year: 7891
Tim's: 1/2 hot choc. 1/2 coffee

Kleen Oil bypass filter install

Post by CruiserRomey »

Hey folks,
thought i'd share this here too. been wanting to do this on our rig and finally made the plunge. if you're not familiar with bypass filters, it's basically an external filter/housing that's attached to your engine that takes a line out of your motor into a filter that cleans/filters down to 1 micron (at least with kleen oil, amsoil has a dual bypass system that get's to 5 micron only). the engine oil is filtered so well that your drain intervals can be at least quadrupled! this has been around for many years in n.america but it's been mostly used in bus/truck/ambulance/work vehicle fleets to decrease their maintenance costs. all report keeping the same oil for well over 60K kms before change (after oil analysis). it pretty much makes your own filter redundant (just change it whenever or at 10K, so long as your bypass filter is changed appropriately, all depends on your motor/use/oil sump capacity/etc..). anyway, this system is widely used on gassers as well, not just diesel trucks! you'll find many bypass filter companies in europe and australia and these are widely used in cars as well but for some reason not too many know about it in n.america besides big companies. kleen oil is in every bus transit system all over s.ontario, ontario hydro uses them, and a lot of ambulance and firetruck fleets, etc. etc....prolly the oldest company around too and i'm told nobody else can filter down to 1 micron (avg. filters clean only to 10 or 20 micron i believe). inital cost is well under 500 bucks parts/labour isntalled. then you start saving once you start skipping oil changes and just checkin the filter.

well, it was all done this morning in under 2 hours. ran the motor with one of the fittings loose till we saw oil come out to make sure the line was live and then tightened it. no leaks, no mess, so far so good! drove in to work, stopped before getting on the highway to make sure all was tight, all good, checked again a couple more times, and and it's all dry at all the connections. thanks to a fella named Tony who came bright n early with a trailer for a shop behind his ford truck (he's a heavy machinery mechanic and has done these bypass systems on $30G engines and truck/bus fleets so i was confident in his skills). all in parts and labour, 150 bucks plus he gave me spare SS lines just in case for our long roady to banff.

some step by step pics for those unsure about how the set up works...

find oil sensor, remove it, use T fitting 1/8th" (has to be the right thread that matches sensor)

for some strange reason, the t fitting wouldn't go it, so that bolt where the oil sensor attaches to was removed and a banjo fitting/re-tap was done, went in perfectly this time.

using some sealant for the hinges (forgot what it was) attach oil sensor on top, re-attach T fitting back, the attach a 90 degree fitting on the centre for the oil line going into the bypass filter

Tony said he could easily tap into the valve cover gasket through aluminum. so he felt around inside the oil filler hole and felt a smooth spot in the back. he was quite delicate with this process, drilled till he poked a hole, placed grease on the bit, placed a rag inside and behind the other end, and went all the way in...i was a little anxious at this point. when he pulled the bit out, pieces of aluminum were stuck on the grease. he reached in with more grease on his fingers to catch any bits and it was done. then he tapped the proper thread in for the fitting..

next, find a good spot above the inner fender inside the engine bay, drill two holes to match bypass filter bracket, making sure all is clear around it for the lines, etc..

install bracket, test fit SS oil lines from valve cover and oil sensor, about 4 feet. attache 2 lines. one from oil sensor to input and from output to valve cover. tighten lines and install filter housing into bracket. double check everything. cover up the lines and zip tie nice and neatly.

perfect spot for it, that nipple is to get oil samples for analysis.

added 1 litre of oil, ran the motor and wait for the oil to gush out the other end (here we saw the oil go back into the valve cover with a strong gush!)

and voila!

pretty stoked. looking back and seeing it all done, with the right tools, i could prolly do it. well worth the 150 bucks though as i would've had to make numerous trips to hardware stores and hydraulic shops to get it all figured out. tapping into the valve cover alone would've made me crap my pants though.

for those interested, i can certainly show you the set up in person in a meet, or just post up if you have any questions. the kleen oil dealer was amazing and super helpful and definitely knew his stuff.

and thanks kleen oil!!!! http://www.kleenoil.ca/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

if you plan on keeping your vehicle for a long time or put a lot of mileage in, this is highly recommended! both dealers i know have jettas, one has 625K kms and the motor has never been touched! outlasted the original tranny, still goin and goin...

cheers.

romey

by the way, this was done on our recently acquired turbo/intercool diesel 4x4 mitsubishi minivan. headed to banff this weekend and wont be changing the oil there nor when we get back, :). the landcruiser will be getting the same treatment.

btw, nissan safaris come with it's own bypass filters (2) not sure if it's down to 1 micron though, but good enough that guys are changing the oil up to 20K kms.
Bow_Tied
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Re: Kleen Oil bypass filter install

Post by Bow_Tied »

Cool write-up!!!
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by CruiserRomey »

(edit i meant to add this:)

just a short update, changed the oil for our trip to florida (about 11K since the last change from dealer, we did the bypass 1K after). got a hose attachment for oil sample, just turn in till the oil starts to flow out then unscrew to stop it. changed the mitsu and kleen oil filter, added some amsoil ame 15w40 synthetic and voila. also dropped a can of seafoam in the crank case before changing the oil.

lookin forward to seeing the results! then i'll do another oil sample to see how far i can stretch the filter...

just a short update for anyone vaguelly intersted, lol. just got my results from the lab. similar figures show up for gasser engines with bypass systems... not bad for 11K on the same oil and filter!

"Please find below analysis results , diagnosis and recommendations quick look chart for Unit # 1995 Mitsubishi Delica Diesel
based on the sample taken on 20th June 2011.

Engine Unit # 1995 Mitsubishi Delica Diesel SPID 126280

11000 Kms on on oil & filter
Stable Physical properties. Soot is at 26 but well within the range. All other parameters are well within the permissible range.
Oil is suitable for further service ; To follow trend and Resample at shorter interval of 3000 kms.

Note : Although, the oil has been changed subsequent to the sampling, from the analysis results it is evident that
the oil is suitable for further service at 11000 Kms ( all parameters are normal and within control ). It is suggested
that oil drain interval can be extended and a sampling can be done at a shorter interval after the next 11000 Kms.

Diagnosis :

Physical Properties : Soot, Viscosity and TBN ( Total Base Number ) are all well within the permissible range.

Wear Metals & Contaminants : Very minimal wear metals and Contaminants. No abnormal wear noticed.

Additives : There is considerable difference in the additives level ; This might be due to us referencing the used engine oil
against the reference ( Chevron Delo 400 15W/40 ) and the actual reference could be different from Chevron - such as ESSO
or Shell ; Additives levels will change considerably from one manufacturer to other.

Please refer enclosed detailed Analysis report for further details .

Please confirm receipt of the report and let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,"

just trying to figure out how to post the attachment with exact details of the analysis. but, guess i should be happy! this was regular dino oil at 11K kms. will also go over the results with more detail with the chemist.

... or what i could do is do a sample again at 11K kms to compare dino vs amsoil, lol. but i really need to test after, say at 15K to see how far i can stretch the bypass filter...guess now i coulda used the same oil on our roady (in virginia right now) to florida and sampled it when we got back at 16K kms approx. post bypass install.

cheers.
Last edited by CruiserRomey on Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bow_Tied
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Post by Bow_Tied »

Nice. Local lab?
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by CruiserRomey »

different product, but on a frontier. amsoil's good too.

http://www.amsoil.com/bypassfilters/rowehl/index.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

more talk on a titan forum.

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-e ... lters.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

from another forum (not me):

" I've been doing some research on these after a co-worker put me onto them, and they sound like a great add-on. Just wondering if anyone out there has any prior experience or feedback.

Here are a few links to follow:

http://www.jackmasteroilfilters.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These guys seem to be quite reasonable in price $120 AUD, but they are all the way in Aussieland. I'm waiting for a response for more details.

http://www.kleenoil.ca/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kleen oil are a bit higher priced but available locally. $400 CAD :-( .

http://www.wefilterit.com/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These guys appear to be the original real deal, available locally and still not badly priced. $200 US. The best part... the filters are toilet paper rolls 8-) . Waiting for more info from their Canadian distributor too.

https://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?groupID=54" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Then there is the Amsoil kit. $170 for the unit and about $36 per filter.

http://filtrationsolutionsww.com/video.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is a good promo video, but it has alot of good info in it as well.

There are others out there, but from what I've found, these seem to be three of the best options. If anyone does more research or has input, add away."

there's also http://www.trabold.net/English/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://www.wefilterit.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:thumbup:
CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by CruiserRomey »

Bow_Tied wrote:Nice. Local lab?
lab's in quebec. from these guys:

LTI Group
Phone: 416.529.3931
Fax: 647.430.9762

http://www.groupelti.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

$35 for the analysis and follow up. these guys don't mess around, a lot of bus/truck fleets and heavy machinery companies with expen$ive engines use these guys.
Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Post by Simon »

Cool idea, and nice install.
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by CruiserRomey »

yeah, a "cool idea" that saves money, that's better for the engine, that allows for fewer drain intervals, and that's good for the environment (with less waste oil being disposed off)..indeedy. ;)
Miner
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Cummins 2500 HD
Year: 2012
Tim's: McD's 3C1S

Post by Miner »

A couple of notes from my past in the mining / construction / heavy diesel industry:

- Beware used equipment with Kleen Oil systems. The systems are relatively benign and poss few risks on there own, however operators who falsely believe they can significantly extend service intervals cause premature wear.

- Oil sampling without a sampling history to establish trending of results means "sweat squat". Take samples at regular intervals (suggest half of your Preventative Maintenance (PM) interval).

- Most samples are taken incorrectly and result in erroneous results. When taking the sample fill the new sample bottle half way, close the bottle and shake well, dispose of oil in a safe manor (this oil is used to clean the sample bottle and flush the sampling line), fill the bottle to the level indicated (three quarters if there is no indication provided), close the bottle tightly, and wipe any spillage / residue off of the bottle, make sure all information is completed on the supplied labels and sample sheets. Note - if taking a sample without a sampling port pulling a sample with a vacuum extractor from the sump is proffered, for those of us without this option take the sample midway through draining the oil. There should be instructional information and video's on CAT.com, CATMINER.com, or under a Google search of Scheduled Oil Sampling (SOS).

- Filters are available with varying efficiencies, micron ratings and capacities...just because a filter fits doesn't mean it is the right filter for the system or the application. For example CAT publishes part numbers for 2 micron, 5 micron, 10 micron, and high efficiency filters for most engine and hydraulic applications. Each filter is used in specific applications and in some applications they are used in series.

Of course there is more information on this...I think I have a lecture I gave at Cambrian College on SOS alone.
Cummins - Zone, BD, AFE, Yokohama, Bestop, Access, VisonX, H&S
Simon wrote:It's not like the membership voted under control of a heavy hand...

Dammit, I've said too much...I'll have to ban you now
CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by CruiserRomey »

hmm, very interesting Miner. thanks for this input. i'm new to this and all of my research into bypass filters has said that it's a win win. in what capacity did you work at in the mining industry? do you suggest other bypass systems or are you against the whole idea? actually, would you mind if i emailed you the detailed report for further comment? or is it bunk cuz i didn't rinse out the new bottle and flush the line? crap!

but agreed on taking more proper samples and keepin a close eye on the history. the fella i sent my sample too said to fill to 3/4. flush line was brand new, and assumed clean when i used it. i'm confused though, you said to flush the line and rinse the sample bottle with that oil, then refill the same bottle? if the bottle is clean, would it make more sense to flush the line into some other container for disposal and then fill the clean sample bottle? so i'm guessing rinsing it out with the oil will remove any contaminants from manufacturing the bottle, yes?

but regardless, IFFFFF my sampling is done properly and proper history taken/trends recorded, can i assume that the report is still valid AND reliable and then used to decide on intervals/filter changes??? this will be an ongoing leanring process..

cheers.
CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by CruiserRomey »

just realized i could save pdf analysis at jpeg..

assuming my sample was legit...guess once could only expect worse results from a contaminated sample