Green Monster driveability issues

Having problems with your Nissan truck? Search & post here!
nige
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: D22 XE 4x4
Year: 2004
Tim's: LG 2C1S

Green Monster driveability issues

Post by nige »

it ran fine all the way home, and over to wayne's and back on monday night. I never drove it on tuesday and wednesday, but when i started it after work yesterday to get some brew-dogs :beer: , the cel was on when i turned it over. It warmed up and idled fine, as soon as i put it in drive and pressed the gas, it stumbled and sputtered like crazy. If i tried to give it more gas, it would get worse. I shut it down on the side of my street and checked the ecu code. i got a 33 (heated o2 sensor). I tried to clear the code and turn the truck back on, but the cel light came on in a couple seconds :irked: . I turned it around (very slowly :lol: ) and hobbled back to my house. I could barely back into my driveway because it has a slope to it. I gave it a good pressure wash last night and cleaned it up pretty good, started it and moved it out of the driveway to idle while i cleaned the driveway off (the cel had gone out :confuse: ) and i moved back in the driveway for the rest of the night. I didn't try to drive it around before it dried off. It's all clean now so i can get under there and see if anything is loose. I saw some rust inside my tailpipe from swamping the motor on sunday, so i figured it got corroded or something. I am going to try to pull the sensor out and have a look tonight when i get home from work.

If you want to start a new thread for this in the garage section, be my guest
OF4WD Member #5472
Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Re: Green Monster driveability issues

Post by Simon »

Split out! :thumbup:

Yeah, check the O2 itself as you were going to, also check the wiring under the hood. Maybe some water got in the connector. There's a bank of about 4 connectors on the passenger side of the engine bay. One of those (can't remember which, off the top of my head) is for the O2 sensor. Unplug them all, check for moisture, spray some WD40 in them, and reconnect.
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
SkinnyPedal
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Make/Model: Lexus LX
Year: 2006

Post by SkinnyPedal »

Hey dude, if it gets to the point where you need to start swapping parts for troubleshooting purposes, let me know - the old girl would love to help out with another truck! :)
nige

Post by nige »

Thanks guys! I will check the harnesses for dirt and water. Report back later tonight
OF4WD Member #5472
Big Bird
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Make/Model: Nissan Xterra XE
Year: 2001
Tim's: LG COFFEE 2 SGR

Post by Big Bird »

DOe sit feel like its missing? Also if you can look into the cat as well. See if the catalyst didnt turn int o a rock. I hope everything goes well Nige.
I asked for a Jelly donut not a maple!!!
Bender
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Nissan Sentra SER
Year: 2011
Tim's: Mcdonalds coffee

Post by Bender »

Nige buddy, give me a shout if you need a hand!
nige

Post by nige »

i checked the connections and the sensor is getting power. It was clean inside the contacts, but i wd'd and dried them out to be sure. The truck still throws a code with the sensor plugged in, i drove it around unplugged and it seems fine the cel is not lit. I never pulled the plug out yet, it is simmering in penetrating oil right now. i will try it in the morning and post up here if i will keep it in the driveway instead of going to pull parts and wheel tomorrow.
OF4WD Member #5472
Morpheus
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2003
Tim's: 3x3

Post by Morpheus »

nige wrote:i checked the connections and the sensor is getting power. It was clean inside the contacts, but i wd'd and dried them out to be sure. The truck still throws a code with the sensor plugged in, i drove it around unplugged and it seems fine the cel is not lit. I never pulled the plug out yet, it is simmering in penetrating oil right now. i will try it in the morning and post up here if i will keep it in the driveway instead of going to pull parts and wheel tomorrow.
If it runs fine with it disconnected, you probably just need a new sensor.

Those older ones really caused drivability issues with bad o2 sensors, not like the newer ones that just ignore the sensor and go to base programming.

You should be fine to drive it around with it disconnected till you get a replacement.
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676