Newb info stuff

General Chat about the forum, it's members & their trucks.
CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Toyota Land Cruiser
Year: 7891
Tim's: 1/2 hot choc. 1/2 coffee

Re: Newb info stuff

Post by CruiserRomey »

^ agreed. but my point regarding tires being "overrated" wasn't meant to say they are "aren't as important". . . i meant it for the same reasons you suggest used AT's ;) i mean, most rigs come with AT's anyway and it's not like people are blowin out all seasons on mild runs. btw, havin mudders doesn't mean your invincible either, they get stuck too!
speakin of tires, the only 2 cents i'd add is to get symmetrical/non directional tires (meaning, the tread pattern is symmetrical allowing you to spin them both ways) as they are much easier to rotate and get the full life out of them (bfg tko's, yoko geolandars, dueller revo's come to mind, used would be fine). with AT's you can use em year round, but if a 2nd set was in the works and lots of wheelin is the plan, then yeah, i'd grab some mudders on some steelies (used will do).

i think there should be something on waterproofing one's rig as well and how to avoid hydrolocking (and what do do IF you hydrolock!) ..so snorkels, diff breathers, protecting sensitive electronics (found in most new trucks), silicon spray, wd40, etc..

a tonne of info indeed!
Scotto
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2006
Tim's: L Reg

Post by Scotto »

CruiserRomey wrote: i think there should be something on waterproofing one's rig as well and how to avoid hydrolocking (and what do do IF you hydrolock!) ..so snorkels, diff breathers, protecting sensitive electronics (found in most new trucks), silicon spray, wd40, etc..

a tonne of info indeed!
Although I see where you're coming from, the whole point of this new(b) list is to set a basic amount of info - not the tonne that we quietly become aware of as we become more involved in outings. Nobody should feel compelled to go get a snorkel b/c they are going up to Minden to try out a trail for the first time. Fluids, such as fluid film, ought to be on the newb list though, and that is something I have overlooked.
thegoodstink
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Make/Model: Xterra 4x4 SE
Year: 2004
Tim's: Double Double

Post by thegoodstink »

I just think it should be a small, basic list. A multi page list of everything possible you could think of, could scare people off. You have to ease people into this.
04 Xterra 4x4 with added junk
12 Lancer GT
13 Kawasaki KLX250s
95 323 neo RallyX car
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

OK - here's a draft... Looking for feedback:

At the beginning of every wheeling season, a lot of excitement fills the air as we old-timers anxiously wait for the trails to open, and a new generation of adventurers gets it into their heads that hitting a few trails in their 4x4 would be a lot of fun. And every year the old-timers write up on the things they have done to improve their rig, and the new guys write up about all the things they want to do to their stock truck. The problem new guys have is: What should I do to my rig so I am ready to give a few trails a go? The point of this document is to help you onto a trail for the first time without spending thousands of dollars... At the end of all this, I have included a list (certainly not comprehensive) of what you will not need to participate in your first trail runs.

Before you go:

You'll hear a lot of guys say your truck needs to be in perfect running order. They are right. If you don't feel comfortable hopping into your truck to take it to, say, Florida, right now, then you probably shouldn't consider taking it on a trail. It is no fun breaking down on a trail. And it is especially not fun when you kind of knew all along that this might happen. Have a good-running truck when you show up on trail day. If you're not sure you can afford to fix those little things that plague your truck, you should not be taking it onto a trail where things can truly get expensive.

Which brings us to another point: if you don't want a dent or a scratch on your vehicle, don't take it on a trail.

Never go on a trail thinking that you have to be off it at a set time. Things happen. If your partner wants you home for dinner at 8:00, DO NOT IN ANY WAY THINK YOU WILL BE ON TIME!!!! Explain to your partner that you are going on an adventure, and it is tough to know what the day will bring. Better yet, bring your partner.

Which leads us to small children and pets. Both are welcome, but it is your responsibility to take care of your child or pet. It can be a long, hot day on a trail. It can also be cold and wet. Be sure your child or pet will be happy under those circumstances.

But since your truck rocks, time isn't an issue, your dog is awesome, and - for you - a dent or a scratch is more like a souvenir or a prize, read on:

Basic Recommendations
Mods to the Truck that you can do that will actually help you:

- Remove your factory step rails. The step rails decrease the ground clearance of your vehicle, and they will hit a rock. Then they will fold up and damage your rocker panels. Remove them for the trail, and if you want to, you can put them back on later.

You can stop right here and skip down to tools. That's the only mod you need to do.

- A CB radio. This is not a true must-have for your first wheeling trip. But CBs are the basic method of communication on a trail, and they are cheap. Go get one, and then attend a coffee meet. The boys will have it installed in minutes!
- The tires that came on your truck are more than likely fine, but if you need tires anyways, you might consider a good tire that can withstand off-road abuse. Off-road tires tend to have thicker side walls, offer greater rim protection, a more aggressive tread, and are generally more durable than standard road tires. What tire? Well, search the forum...
- If you decide to get an off-road tire, you should seriously consider mounting them on their own steel rims. There are a couple reasons for this: 1) Off-road tires tend to have a 15" interior diameter (this helps the tire stay mounted on the rim), while your fancy rims from the factory are probably 16" or even 17"; 2) Some off-road tires (but not all) aren't very good in the winter, so you can easily switch tires in your driveway; and, 3) When steel rims get dented you can fix them, but your nice aluminum rims won't be safe after a dent from a rock.

Tools and Equipment:

- something to remove the lug nuts on your vehicle (if you insist on having a locking key on your rims, be sure to have the key with you, although I suggest leaving the lock at home - they fill up with mud, they break, they get stuck... Replace the lock with a normal lug).
- A small, but decent, socket set (and since most socket sets come in metric and imperial, you should be able to get at anything on your truck or help out another truck). Also grab one of those screwdrivers with all the different bits stored in the handle.
- Side-cutters (sometimes called wire cutters). These are just plain old handy.
- Jumper cables (these should live in your truck year-round).
- A full-sized spare tire. You only need one. Remember that it is illegal to drive with a mixed set of radial and bias tires on your vehicle, so be sure your spare matches the set.
- Tire jack. The scissor jack that came in your truck will work in a pinch on a trail, but you might consider getting a small hydraulic jack (the kind with four little wheels and a disengaging handle). A small piece of plywood (2'x2') is handy for placing under the jack: on soft ground, your jack will disappear into the mud.
- You must have tow points installed on your truck. Front and back. There should be factory tow hooks already mounted to the front of your truck. For the rear, you can use your hitch as a connection point to the truck, with an insert that holds a shackle.
- Tire pressure gauge. We air down before going onto a trail. This lets the tires bite more on rocks, and also allows for a (slightly) less bumpy ride. A gauge lets you know that all your tires are at 20PSI. To air them back up, you can borrow an air compressor from one of the guys, or just drive into town and air up there.
- Fluid Film and WD-40 can save your electrical components, such as harness connections and the alternator. A quart of oil. Windshield washer fluid. Some rags and/or a roll of those thick, blue paper towels.
- A good tie-down strap to keep all this stuff from flying around in the back of your truck.

Extra Parts:

- Ask the guys on the forum who have your truck about basic spare parts. On the first gen. Xterra, it's the tie-rods.
- Pipe clamps. These are the round clamps that use a worm-gear to open and close. Several sizes in your tool-box are a good idea. These little clamps can put exhaust pipes back together, fix leaking hoses, and stop annoying rattles...

Miscellaneous stuff:

- first-aid kit (including special meds that you might need {e.g. I get migraines, so I always have a full bottle of Advil somewhere in the truck}), a small LED flashlight, duct tape, zip ties, fuses.
- Work gloves.
- Be ready for weather. It might rain. At night it can get cold. You might get wet in a river or a swamp. Bring extra clothes.
- There's an on-going debate about footwear. Some guys wear steel-toed boots, others are happy in their open-toed sandals. I figure a lot of wheeling is like hiking, so I wear boots with ankle support. I would hate to sprain an ankle on a trail. Just a thought.
- Toilet paper.
- Good bug spray. The stuff with deet. If you really find bugs annoying, you could consider one of those mesh head things. - A hat.
- A small tarp. Very handy for placing down on the mud when changing a tire or climbing under your truck.
- Water. You don't need 5 gallons. I bring a flat of plastic water bottles. Not very green, but it works for me.
- Food. Light trail snacks (avoid salty things) and something for lunch.

Stuff you don't need:

- Hi-lift jacks are great, but if you drive an Xterra, they won't work on your truck - Hi-lifts need a flat surface to grab onto, and you don't have one. Until you've done a few mods (you will need sliders), leave the Hi-lift at the store.
- Skid-plates are a fantastic investment. For your first few trails, you won't need them. Once you have the itch, think of this mod as your first real one.
- Snorkels look cool, but you don't need one.
- Lights. Lights don't actually help out with anything unless it's dark. And we don't wheel in the dark. So, you can skip the lights.
- Tow straps. You won't be alone out there, and there will be so many tow-straps in attendance that we could have a garage sale.
- Winch. Nope, don't need it. The other trucks can pull you out.
- Sliders. These are long, round tubes that run down the side of your truck, right beneath the rocker panels (sort of like step rails, but parallel to the frame). You don't need them until you get the itch.
- A lift - either suspension or body. Not required yet. Just come out and see if you like the sport.
- Some sort of 12V on-board air compressor. Nice to have, but not needed. If you have kids who constantly need balls and tires filled up, you could consider buying one for them, and "borrowing" it when you go out.
- Differential and transmission breathers. Doesn't matter for your first couple of outings. Later, you can do this in your driveway.
- I always bring a shovel, and I have never used it. Someone else will have a shovel.
Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Post by Simon »

Nice compilation. It's not terribly long, and thus, shouldn't lose its intended audience halfway through, yet it covers the most crucial information. :thumbup:
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by CruiserRomey »

Geoffrey wrote:
CruiserRomey wrote: i think there should be something on waterproofing one's rig as well and how to avoid hydrolocking (and what do do IF you hydrolock!) ..so snorkels, diff breathers, protecting sensitive electronics (found in most new trucks), silicon spray, wd40, etc..

a tonne of info indeed!
Although I see where you're coming from, the whole point of this new(b) list is to set a basic amount of info - not the tonne that we quietly become aware of as we become more involved in outings. Nobody should feel compelled to go get a snorkel b/c they are going up to Minden to try out a trail for the first time. Fluids, such as fluid film, ought to be on the newb list though, and that is something I have overlooked.
absolutely agree, not saying that everone needs to get a snorkel, it's just that some don't even know what they are and how they work. it's just to at least understand the why of waterproofing and why things break. :)

but great read on the compilation! awesome!
thegoodstink
Sparkplug
Sparkplug

Post by thegoodstink »

Looks good. Nice write up. :thumbup:
12 Lancer GT
13 Kawasaki KLX250s
95 323 neo RallyX car
danger
I'm learning to use 4-hi
Make/Model: Pathfinder
Year: 1995
Tim's: Double double milked

Post by danger »

Being one of the newbs in question, I have one. How do you prevent the alternator from drowning with wd-40, or am I miss reading that?
thegoodstink
Sparkplug
Sparkplug

Post by thegoodstink »

WD-40 repels water. Spraying it on your electrical connections, and alternator, will protect them from water damage. Will not protect them from submersion though. :o
12 Lancer GT
13 Kawasaki KLX250s
95 323 neo RallyX car
CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by CruiserRomey »

and if you submerge it in silty dirty water, be sure to hose that stuff out after the run and checking your chargin system (i've heard to point a running hose into the sides of the alty and lettin it rinse out for a few minutes, let it sit to dry before starting up again.) a mean green sealed alternator would be sweet tho!

i would add tire puncture repair kit in the tool section, removing mud flaps with the side steps, charged cell, gps/maps under miscellaneous, and checkin your vehicle after the run to see if anything is missing/broke/loose or just don't sound right. a small axe/saw can come in handy too. ooh, and CAA plus is always good insurance to have!

what's cool about the compilation is that the the last section/stuff you don't need can then become the next priority if the person wishes to take things further, bit by bit with a certain budget.
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

Exactly, the alternator can only survive so many muddy water submersions! Learned that the hard way twice. Make sure the splash guards in the wheel wells are there, and the little wing ones on the skid plate and it helps.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

For kids, sure there's cold and set, but what about the ride; bumps and angles, sometimes kids get scared, and/or sick

Mention the lobo rack for all the gear? Cheap mod to keep organized and make sure some essentials can stay in the truck and not be in the way

Shovel is handy for the winter! ;;)
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

Tire repair kit. Yes. We had a screw in a tire a while back, and the tire repair kit was the saviour...

Mud flaps. Remove. Yes.

GPS - doesn't work on the trail. And topos aren't necessary. But great for getting to the meeting point. Which can be done with a normal map.

I'll add why Fluid Film and WD-40 are cool. Excellent point - this is supposed to be "what and why."

There's always some guy with a saw (or a chainsaw with the blade on backwards - GINO!!!!!).

CAA Plus. Good idea, but it is transferable. There are guys on the trail who already have it. And, we never leave anyone behind. I'll add it as an option.

In terms of driving and angles and thumbs out and following your spotter and turning on the defrost and whatnot - that info starts at the trail head. I have lead a few of these rookie runs now, and I get into teacher mode with a little clipboard that reminds me of major points, and we all huddle up have a chat. Post it here, and no one has any memory of it by the time they get on the trail. But it might be an idea for the guys running rookies to gather together their ideas and put them together as a single plan.

Lobo rack - once guys see it, they can build it. But they don't need it - yet!

I'll add really bumpy to the kids thing.

I didn't add trail info there Mike (your Moab link), cause it won't mean anything to them yet. And, again, the Minden trail is the leader on rookie runs, so (with luck) there won't be any snow :)

Good info.

Thanks folks.
CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by CruiserRomey »

wonderful Geoffrey! this is great as i do hope to lead these type of runs one day and learning more :) thank you!
got more off the top of my head, just thinkin out loud:
- if auto, which gear to be driving, when to use 4lo, etc. and why
- or if 5spd, what gear to be on, and depending on what terrain/obstacle your on...as in 2nd gear and gas through muddy stuff..and movin the wheel left and right to get traction up front..
- using momentum wisely w/out risking breaking things..
- how to follow in a group (i.e. keepin the guy behind you at your mirrors and stopping if peeps are fallin behind)
- basics of tuggin a vehicle out with a strap and then with a winch (although this could be a novel on it's own)..like when to start spinning the tires and accurate communication between all parties, safety, etc.
- not starting the rig back up again if hydrolocked!
- how much to air down
- takin the front plates out when crossin water, lol, (or makin sure it doesn't come off from the wake)
- sidehillin safely and how to get out of a potential roll and quick (as in turning into the roll and gas and not away)!
this is fun! :)
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

Super stuff - but I think that is for the trail head, or on the trail, and best communicated that way, not in some wordy document.

Thanks for the input!
CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by CruiserRomey »

lol.. agreed! i tend to get carried away sometimes... :teeth:
cheers.
danger
I'm learning to use 4-hi
Make/Model: Pathfinder
Year: 1995
Tim's: Double double milked

Post by danger »

adamzan wrote:Exactly, the alternator can only survive so many muddy water submersions! Learned that the hard way twice. Make sure the splash guards in the wheel wells are there, and the little wing ones on the skid plate and it helps.
Don't have either, is that a replacement thing, or am I going to be looking at making my own. I get that I'm not going to be doing this stuff anytime soon, but good to make a budget now.
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

Go to Nissan and order some. They are cheap.
baja toy
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: chevy S10 ZR2
Year: 2001
Tim's: lg dd

Post by baja toy »

all excelent points guys. don't forget communication and navigation tools. paper/waterproof maps, gps, cell phones, cb radio, and as always a properly maintained FIRST AID KIT. your health is just as importaint as your trucks. :stickwack: