Lugnut
Lugnut
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Se Xterra 4x4
Year: 2005
Tim's: XL Ice Cap

breather tube

Post by moose200 »

Has anyone tired removing the breather tube going from the breather box to the fender?? thoughts?
Its simple, Nissans rock!
Jayman
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Year: 2002
Tim's: Double Double

Re: breather tube

Post by Jayman »

I assume your asking about the intake on your truck?

A lot of the First Gen people (myself included) have removed the resonators from their intake set-up. There is a large waffly looking box thing inside the fender that can be removed. You have to take the fender off to get at it, but it's not that difficult overall.

What would be your reason for removing the one in the fender, just out of curiosity?
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
moose200
Lugnut
Lugnut

Post by moose200 »

yes, the intake. and I wanred to take it off because the end going into the fender looked smaller then the hole on the intake, therefore resticting air. So i was thinking it would give me more power when needed?
PiDGE
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Nissan Frontier KC
Tim's: not my real name

Post by PiDGE »

If its holes you want get a Volant....theres two holes. I seriously doubt theres any power to be gained by doing what your sayin, but ive been wrong before. Air from the fender would be cooler than sucking in the hotter air from around the engine would'nt it???? Thats what the elves in my head are telling me anyways :)
Early to bed...Early to rise...Fish all day...Make up lies
Jayman

breather tube

Post by Jayman »

Air from the fender is cooler, yes... And the plastic inside the fender is shaped as a resonator as well, to minimize engine noise.
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
moose200
Lugnut
Lugnut

Post by moose200 »

So your saying I should just leave it??
PiDGE
Make/Model: Nissan Frontier KC
Tim's: not my real name

Post by PiDGE »

I'd leave it. You can look at Volant's CAI, but I think I read somewhere they redesigned them and no longer have the second intake scoop anymore. Maybe someone can confirm this? Looking at there website ( http://www.volant.com/ ) The 05+ Frontier has the original design and some new design, whereas the Xterra 05+ only has the one design?? Do you know if the air boxes are the same on both trucks? I dont. If they are perhaps look at getting one for a 05-07 Frontier cause it seems they still come with the second scoop. Good luck.
Early to bed...Early to rise...Fish all day...Make up lies
Jayman

Post by Jayman »

moose200 wrote:So your saying I should just leave it??
I would say to leave it unless you have a reason to remove it.

The one thing about the stock intake, is that it does have multiple holes for taking in air, and the routing of all the tubing DOES have a purpose. One purpose is to limit the amount of noise that you hear from the motor itself. If you ever put a cold air intake on a vehicle, you’ll know that it increases the amount of noise that can be heard from the motor.

The other reason, is to provide the ability to take in wet air (ever driven in a heavy downpour and wondered if any of that rain is getting into your engine?), but only take in the air, and not the rain water. The stock tubing for your intake is routed in such way that allows the majority of rain water that enters to get trapped and collect in low spots in the tubing itself, all the while still allowing the needed air to get into your motor. There are even small holes in the bottoms of the tubing and your air box as well (pre-filter), for any water that collects in there to drain out.

Soooo, unless you have a purpose to remove some of the tubing, for a snorkel or something like that, then I would leave it there. The piece that is inside your fender is mostly a sound baffle, again to tune and limit the sounds you will hear from the motor. If you eliminate it, you will have a large hole right behind your headlight, which is not the greatest for doing water crossings.

Just a thought…
Morpheus
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2003
Tim's: 3x3

Post by Morpheus »

Jayman wrote: If you eliminate it, you will have a large hole right behind your headlight, which is not the greatest for doing water crossings.
What if you plug the hole?

:lol:
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676
Jayman

Post by Jayman »

Morpheus wrote:
Jayman wrote: If you eliminate it, you will have a large hole right behind your headlight, which is not the greatest for doing water crossings.
What if you plug the hole?

:lol:
Then you have plugged the hole obviously, but eliminated some of the features described in my above post.

I'm not saying it's a BAD thing to take it out, just saying that there's not much point unless you have a reason to do so. ;)
moose200
Lugnut
Lugnut

Post by moose200 »

I seem to get better mpg, about 40 to 60km more to half a tank. I did a couple tank of each, and results were constant. So im leaving it off.