Newb from Ontario

Welcome to CNTC. Please check in here before posting!
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Re: Newb from Ontario

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Indeed, with KL-powered cars were plentiful (Probe/Mx6 and swapped Mx-3s) and ran well.

I love the X, I really do. The only annoying issue is the (Supercharged) ECM that has PMS. Truck is getting Megasquirted this year, so it would completely rid me of any of it's quirks, but other than that, she's treated me and been good to me well despite the rough road the last few years have been
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
Fatflyguy
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Pathfinder SE
Year: 2001
Tim's: 3x3

Post by Fatflyguy »

Yeah that a nice piggy back system. I'd love to tap into the ecu of this Pathfinder, but knowing my luck I'd fry something lol.
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Lol, it's a bit intimidating. I could run full stand-alone with it, but I want to keep my accessories. It's not a race car, cruise and A/C are nice, so I'll run it as a piggy-back, but in a sence it will take full control of the motor functions (unlike an Apexi that tricks the OEM ECU) and just shares the data with the OEM for the accessories. And I'll play with the emissions part of the ECU to keep it happy for Ontario E-test legality in the hopefully nearish future. But your VQ is a nice motor too, you should be happy with it once you get your issues sorted out. Some guys are running R50's with the VG33 and seem content, so it all depends on what you want out of your truck.

Big plans for the car this year? Heard you had some secret stuff lined up for it.
Fatflyguy

Post by Fatflyguy »

I actually have the car up on the sellers block. Hyundai approached me to build another one for SEMA but they're not will to pay what it's worth. I told them I need at least 75g plus car if they expect something good. The Genesis was 50g plus another 60g out of my pocket before the sponsor stepped up to the plate to help out. But I had to spend it to get my name out there. I didn't realize the headache though that would ensue from everything. Between sponsors harping at me and fan boys acting retarded I'm ready to pack it in and hang low for a while. I decided in the fall I was ready to part with the Gen, I just don't know what I want to build next. For all I know I might end up getting another SUV and having some "rice" fun with it.

As for the VQ35d its a good base motor, its just a pain in the ass to work on from what I've been seeing over the last couple weeks. I'm actually playing with some Mafs from other vehicles and seeing what else I can come up with. I snagged a maf from a 2003 sentra yesterday from the scrappers for 5 bucks. The difference other then the obvious, the VQ maf has 4 prongs and the sentra has 5, but it works, well works better then my stock one. I have a lot more power in it now but still not 100%.
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Ya that's something that I did fear with the Mx-3. I did it unsponsored so I could do what I wanted to it, as I saw it, and drove it as I pleased. I didn't have to worry about the pressure of making shows and keeping the car in mint condition rather than just enjoy her. I got stuff as discounted prices of course, but I enjoyed that car with no stress put on by others, and what I did, and stll do, is my mods and my work, what I do on my cars is for my enjoyment, and my enjoyment alone.

Sure it's damn fun to do new things and be unique. I post up all the info and how-to's for anyone that wants to do the same. I've got a bunch here in the How-To section (you wouldn't have access I dont think until you become a supporting member I thing). My Megasquirt will be the first of any kind of engine management on these trucks, and it'll set a performance and potential baseline for tuning before doing other mods that I want to do like cams, cranking the boost and intercooler. I'm really anxious to get that started to be honest, anda bit nervous too.

Let us know of course with the progress comes along with your Pathy. Remember too that Mike (Morpheous) is the service manager at Milton Nissan, so if you want a good dealership to take a look at it, that's a great place if you get stuck.
Fatflyguy

Post by Fatflyguy »

That's awesome! yeah I'm definetly going to become a supporting member. The forum/club seems great.

If anyone knows me from my builds, they know I've never done anything lightly lol. The Pathy won't be an exception. It goes in this week hopefully for it's new exhaust and I'm starting on the stereo as we speak. It'll be a lot of fun. I'll be following your motor build progress closely, I've always been interested in seeing that that SS had to offer and what it's true potential would be.