Favourite tools for the garage

Having problems with your Nissan truck? Search & post here!
Miner
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Cummins 2500 HD
Year: 2012
Tim's: McD's 3C1S

Re: Favourite tools for the garage

Post by Miner »

By far the most useful tool I've ever owned. Extra long, 1/2", quick release, Pflex head ratchet. As durable and long as a breaking bar with the ability to reach into tight spots and move around obstructions. I can use this in places you can't get a quarter turn out of a combination wrench.
Cummins - Zone, BD, AFE, Yokohama, Bestop, Access, VisonX, H&S
Simon wrote:It's not like the membership voted under control of a heavy hand...

Dammit, I've said too much...I'll have to ban you now
studum
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Make/Model: Frontier CC SC
Year: 2003
Tim's: Large 1 milk

Post by studum »

CAB wrote:Haha, you are totally right. I was eyeing these guys for a while but couldn't justify the $200 price tag. Home depot dropped them to $99 recently and I was all over it. It replaced my full stereo in the garage, saving a tonne of space. I love the portability, ability to charge your phone, and especially the built in bottle opener (which would have been better placed in the front). My only other gripe is that you can't charge your cordless batteries using the stereo while plugged in. I guess that is because dewalt patented that tech...
I got very lucky when I bought mine, I was in the right place at the right time. I happened to get it on a Milwaukee promotion when it was already on sale. It was a big sale week and both the Milwaukee and Dewalt reps were in the store right across the isle from each other. In the end I got it for $70 and got an extra capacity battery included at that price.

I have seen them a few times on for $99, and at that I think it's an awesome buy. I would have been happy at that price even without the battery. If you ever see the promos where you get a free battery with a cordless tool the radio counts because it can be ran off of the battery, at least that's what the rep told me.

My buddy bought one at $70 as well. And a few months later got one for $100 for his dad as a present. All of us love it.

I agree about the charging thing, but hey nothing is ever perfect. There must be some patent issue because I can't even have the charger charging a battery near by when the radio is on or it really affects the radio reception. I've learned to work around that though.
Ryan S. - Playing "keep it alive" with the Silver Spur.
Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Post by Simon »

I have too many tools to even think about what my favorite is. I'll say this though; whatever makes my life easier, becomes my favorite tool. Be it the impact gun, breaker bar, welder, it doesn't matter. Whatever POS breaks on me, becomes my least favorite! :lol:

That said, last Christmas I received 2 great gifts. The first was a decent set of large sized wrenches. I had cheapies, and had a 15/16" break on me under high torque. My knuckles were not happy. Having quality wrenches gives me confidence to apply the amount of torque needed to break free some very stubborn bolts/nuts. Which is great considering I also got this...... http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.a ... 3456,43407

It's a really amazing little device that gives you a ton of leverage. It holds wrenches of all sizes very securely. Breaking loose tie rod adjusters or ball joints, or torsion bars couldn't be easier. Nice to have a little extra power when the impact gun won't fit. :thumbup:
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

That would have been nice breaking those tension rod nuts loose! Neat looking.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
PiDGE
Make/Model: Nissan Frontier KC
Year: 2005
Tim's: not my real name

Post by PiDGE »

Never have I seen one of those Simon. Whereabouts did you score that from?? I do the old box end over the open end and pray I've got band aids handy.
Early to bed...Early to rise...Fish all day...Make up lies
Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Post by Simon »

PiDGE wrote:Never have I seen one of those Simon. Whereabouts did you score that from?? I do the old box end over the open end and pray I've got band aids handy.
Check the link in my post. :)
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
PiDGE
Make/Model: Nissan Frontier KC
Year: 2005
Tim's: not my real name

Post by PiDGE »

Oops missed that duh. Thanks man.
Early to bed...Early to rise...Fish all day...Make up lies
Snafu
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Xterra S
Year: 2007
Tim's: Double milk - no sugar

Post by Snafu »

You can also use the box end of a wrench hooked onto the open end of the other wrench to give you extra leverage. I found this handy when I can't get the breaker bar in tight spots.
Worlds Greatest Acronym:
A.D.O.S.S: Attention Deficit Oooooo Something Shiny! (thanks Simon!)

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.
Lukexskywalker
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2002
Tim's: lg black coffee

Post by Lukexskywalker »

IR 231c 1/2 impact gun :)