Need a winch out in markham

Having problems with your Nissan truck? Search & post here!
Scotto
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2006
Tim's: L Reg

Re: Need a winch out in markham

Post by Scotto »

CruiserRomey wrote:hey Geoffrey, what's your take on all the tresspassing/permit talk and any risks from others going in to help? Chris said that the cop said it's gov't land...?
The general rule of thumb is Hydro lines are off limits. The problem is that trucks go in there,have some fun, and then tear it all up. Two months later the Hydro crews show up to fix something and we buggered it up. The ruts screw up the access road.

There is no risk in going to get a guy. There might be a warning. But one truck stuck isn't a huge issue. If an entire group of guys was going in every weekend, look out.

Having said that, I live for nice little Hydro line trails. I try to find them and have a nice drive across the county. But I tend to hit them in July or August, when it is dead dry, and I can just relax in 2X4.

Scott
Morpheus
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2003
Tim's: 3x3

Post by Morpheus »

Update on jeep kings says he's out.
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

I want the update from the owner. Hope he doesn't leave us hanging. Want pics, too.

I also want him at the Minden rookie run.
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

Just to let you know, Chris, that your thread at JK had 1,078 visits. Way to go champ!
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

And as a last note, the guys at JK were ready to help. Any way they could. Give that club credit.
Muddyr50
I'm learning to use 4-hi
Make/Model: Nissan Pathfinder
Year: 1998
Tim's: Hot Chocolate

Post by Muddyr50 »

So I'm out. Pics and thanks in a bit. Took four trucks but I'm out.
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

You sound tired.
Bow_Tied
Reactions score: 4
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Post by Bow_Tied »

Awesome! Looking forward to hearing how it went...
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
dududuckling
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Pathfinder SE
Year: 2002
Tim's: Iced Coffee

Post by dududuckling »

Try message Draconian. He lives in markham, and I think hes got a winch on the front bumper on the Xterra? I used to live in Markham and I know that area. I would have come to help you out if I didn't move to michigan. Good luck!
2002 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2000 Nissan Pathfinder SE
dududuckling
Make/Model: Pathfinder SE
Year: 2002
Tim's: Iced Coffee

Post by dududuckling »

Oh never mind I'm late. I hope you covered the CNTC sticker with mud if you had one, so they don't know which club ya from. Glad to hear you are out.
2002 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2000 Nissan Pathfinder SE
CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Make/Model: Toyota Land Cruiser
Year: 7891
Tim's: 1/2 hot choc. 1/2 coffee

Post by CruiserRomey »

Thx scotto. I likee some hydrolines too.

Chris, great to hear!
Xtrapol8
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Xterra OR M6
Year: 2008
Tim's: Tea & Cookies

Post by Xtrapol8 »

Morpheus wrote: Hope someone out your way is available to lend a hand.

... not everyone logs onto the board every day:
That would be me on both counts. But it sounds like I wouldn't have been able to help even if I had known about it in good time.

...looking forward to seeing what it did take to get you out.
Draconian
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Make/Model: Titan Swapped Xterra
Year: 2010
Tim's: Coffee

Post by Draconian »

I saw his post on JK and I tried to winch him out then my truck died. Long story short, we got Chris out with the help of 3 others and my truck is at the dealers right now for repairs. Long day of mud...lots of it.
dududuckling wrote:Try message Draconian. He lives in markham, and I think hes got a winch on the front bumper on the Xterra? I used to live in Markham and I know that area. I would have come to help you out if I didn't move to michigan. Good luck!
Bow_Tied

Post by Bow_Tied »

#MoreRon

Scotto

Post by Scotto »

Bow_Tied wrote:Image
Yup.
JAS
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Make/Model: Xterra Off-road
Year: 2008
Tim's: Large Regular

Post by JAS »

Hey guys – I wish I had some decent pics for you but I don’t. I can however fill in some of the details to the story as the evening unfolded for me.

I got a hold of Chris a little after 5:00 on Friday afternoon at which time he was waiting for a Jeep (I believe it was username ’Just-Lift-It’ from JeepKings forum) and Draconian. At this time Chris did not need me to make the trek from Oakville since he had two very capable trucks on their way. Chris and I touched base again about an our later at which time the two trucks on the scene didn’t have enough traction and were pulling them selves to the stuck vehicle. Having another anchor vehicle looked like a good option but the guys on the scene have not exhausted their efforts and Chris told me to stay close to the phone. I had a funny feeling that I may be making the trip so I prepped my stuff and waited. Chris called back a few minutes later and told me that the Xterra (Draconian) is completely dead and will not jump start, and subsequently took me up on my offer of coming to help.

After arriving within site of the crew, which now included another Jeep, I promptly proceeded to get stuck before even reaching them. I was able to get out on my own by engaging the locker and rocking back and forth retreating a few feet further each time, until I got to solid ground. After wiping the crumbs of humble pie off my face I put on my boots and walked over to the group. I was quickly informed of the score – 3 Nissans, two stuck and one broken down vs. 2 Jeeps having their way with the elements. The guys told me which route to take to get to them as they needed another truck for an anchor. At this point Draconian’s winch was under full tension attached to the stuck vehicle, in park, and completely dead, and the two Jeeps were hooked up to each other and getting dragged to the stuck vehicle. I walked back to my truck to make my way over, but also suggested that I brought wheel chocks which may help. By the time I drove around and got in position they guys took two ramps which Chris had with him, turned them around and put them in front of the lead Jeep. That made all the difference for them and I didn’t even have to get hooked up. The stuck truck was winched out of the hole he was in and then dragged backwards with a strap until he was free and clear. Chris was able to then drive out to solid ground – Original problem solved!

At this point we started to work on the second problem which was Draconian’s dead truck. We wanted to use the big Jeep (read awesome tricked out vehicle) to drag the X onto some better ground so that we can figure this out. Since the X was in Park with no power he couldn’t shift into Neutral, so I instructed Ivan how to use the shift override on the console. Once in N he could get yanked backwards and we could check things out. He blew the 140A fusible link at the battery, so I jumped it with his jumper cables which did the trick and restored his power. We all drove out without issues, had a little pow-wow and headed for a local wing place. On the way, Draconian’s X went into limp mode, so we jumped the blown link again and this time left the jumper cable hooked up and coiled under the hood. He drove in this fashion for the rest of the evening. Chris took the crew out for a couple of beers and wings as well as covered some of the expenses we incurred – classy move!

In summary, and to make a long story bearable here are the not so obvious lessons:
1. Draconian’s truck could have been used as an anchor point even though it was dead by using a snatch block which the guys had but were not using. They didn’t really need another truck there.
2. If you are getting pulled in the wrong direction, use wheel chocks or any natural object. Sounds obvious but when your head is down working it was not.
3. Know your winch wiring circuitry, its limitations, and generally the electrical side of your vehicle.
4. Know how to shift your transmission without power.
5. Be ready to spend your whole weekend cleaning your truck and be aware of the ware and tear your vehicle will take. When your front corners are caked with mud you are doing a number of your bearings (due to unbalanced wheels) when going home at highway speeds and your CV boots are constantly rubbing on the rocks/mud. I even found smashed bricks in the huge pile of mud on my driveway.
6. The Jeep guys that came out were great guys – I have the utmost respect for them and their vehicles. Having a beer afterwards, sharing wheeling stories, and rolling home with ‘Just-lift-it’ was cool.

I guess this is why a picture is worth a thousand words.
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

Nice write up! Thanks for the story - makes the morning coffee all that much better.

Scott
Bow_Tied

Post by Bow_Tied »

x2!
#MoreRon

Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Post by Simon »

Great work to all who got Chris out. :thumbup:
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
Muddyr50
I'm learning to use 4-hi
Make/Model: Nissan Pathfinder
Year: 1998
Tim's: Hot Chocolate

Post by Muddyr50 »

Wow. Thanks I was actually planning on writing up the whole adventure but you beat me too it. I can not thank everyone enough for all the help that they did to get me out. I had these guys drive out from hamiltion and oakville as well as markham and scarbrough. Draconian was the only person I had ever met before. Everyone else came just to help. They didn't come for any other reason. They didn't know me or anything. They saw that I was in need of help and they offered their services. And being it was a Friday night I'm sure people could have had other plans but they spent there afternoon evening in the mud getting me out. These guys are defn stand up guys and I'm forever grateful for their actions. Not only did I have four trucks come out to help, but I had over 40 phone calls and text messages from people who were willing to drive out to help. Some as far away as windsor. I web later found out two jeep guys decided to head out to help without even letting me know and messaged me and I had just informed them I got out. I have a couple pictures but not many as I was covered in mud and mostly running back and forth between trucks with ivan just connecting and disconnecting them.

Again a big thank you to those that helped as well as everyone who offered to help Cntc and jeepkings. I have a little something for those that helped me out and will be getting in contact with those who came to
My aid.

Thanks again.