Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Frontier KC
Year: 2005
Tim's: R

Coolant Flow Direction / E-fan Install

Post by FrontyFlyer »

I am trying to find the best location to install a temp probe for an e-fan controller.

On every other vehicle I've seen, the heated coolant comes out the top of engine , goes into the top of the rad - cooled - out the bottom of rad back to bottom of engine. Makes sense - heat rises.

In this truck (2nd Gen 4.0 Frontier) it looks like the hot coolant is flowing out of the bottom of the engine as this is where the water pump and T-stat is. Can someone please confirm this?

The probe is the type that sits in between rad fins. It should be placed on the inlet side of the rad so it measures coolant that has done a full loop and not just the freshly cooled stuff on the outlet of the rad.
05' Frontier 6speed- 35"s locked, lifted, broken in
JAS
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Make/Model: Xterra Off-road
Year: 2008
Tim's: Large Regular

Re: Coolant Flow Direction / E-fan Install

Post by JAS »

The way I am reading the service manual I believe the flow of coolant is out of the cylinder heads, top of rad, out the bottom of the rad, into the block.
"I don’t care to belong to any club that will have me as a member." - Groucho Marx
Morpheus
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2003
Tim's: 3x3

Re: Coolant Flow Direction / E-fan Install

Post by Morpheus »

FrontyFlyer wrote:I am trying to find the best location to install a temp probe for an e-fan controller.

On every other vehicle I've seen, the heated coolant comes out the top of engine , goes into the top of the rad - cooled - out the bottom of rad back to bottom of engine. Makes sense - heat rises.

In this truck (2nd Gen 4.0 Frontier) it looks like the hot coolant is flowing out of the bottom of the engine as this is where the water pump and T-stat is. Can someone please confirm this?

The probe is the type that sits in between rad fins. It should be placed on the inlet side of the rad so it measures coolant that has done a full loop and not just the freshly cooled stuff on the outlet of the rad.
From the FSM: Coolant goes from the rad, to the t-stat, to the water pump, etc.. follow the arrows...

(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676