Rad bypass for transmission

Having problems with your Nissan truck? Search & post here!
saikbran
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: nissan pathfinder
Year: 1994
Tim's: coffee double double

Re: Rad bypass for transmission

Post by saikbran »

Here is a link to do the bypass without the need of buying the third transmission cooler http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25955 . The reason the ATF runs through the main rad is to warm the transmission up on cold days. the bypass is quite simple as shown in the diagram all you actually do is switch two lines. I haven't done this yet to my xterra but will soon.
Morpheus
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2003
Tim's: 3x3

Post by Morpheus »

Morpheus wrote: @the x kid. It's not a recall, it's a warranty extension. Once you're past 130,000km, you're on your own, so you may as well bypass it and make sure you don't have any problems.
Just to keep this info updated. Nissan recently updated this warranty extension.

8yr/130,000k is the warranty extension, everything covered

if you're in the 9yr/140,000km window there is now also a warranty extension, however the customer is responsible for the first $2500 in repairs. Nissan covers everything over that amount.

If you're in the 10yr/150,000km window there is now also a warranty extension, however the customer is responsible for the first $3000 in repairs. Nissan covers everything over that amount.
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 2
Make/Model: Jeep JKUR
Year: 2013
Tim's: Med 2 milks 1 sugar

Post by the x kid »

Morpheus wrote:
Morpheus wrote: @the x kid. It's not a recall, it's a warranty extension. Once you're past 130,000km, you're on your own, so you may as well bypass it and make sure you don't have any problems.
Just to keep this info updated. Nissan recently updated this warranty extension.

8yr/130,000k is the warranty extension, everything covered

if you're in the 9yr/140,000km window there is now also a warranty extension, however the customer is responsible for the first $2500 in repairs. Nissan covers everything over that amount.

If you're in the 10yr/150,000km window there is now also a warranty extension, however the customer is responsible for the first $3000 in repairs. Nissan covers everything over that amount.
I stand corrected.
Morpheus

Post by Morpheus »

They just added the extra extensions on recently. The original extension has been around for a bit now.

Snafu
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Xterra S
Year: 2007
Tim's: Double milk - no sugar

Post by Snafu »

Sadly this may come too late for some :( 10y/150k = 15k a year. I hardly know anyone who drives that little ;)
Last edited by Snafu on Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Worlds Greatest Acronym:
A.D.O.S.S: Attention Deficit Oooooo Something Shiny! (thanks Simon!)

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.
Scotto
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2006
Tim's: L Reg

Post by Scotto »

Yup. Not in Canada.

Sent from my iThingy.
Scoop
Year: 2005
Tim's: coffee

Post by Scoop »

petezee wrote:Thanks for all the info guys.
made a deal today with my local Nissan tech to take care of this and a few other little things for cash.
Always good to know someone with the inside knowledge and all the right tools.
Its called SMOD (the strawberry milkeshake of death) To show you how tough these trucks are I believe I had it for almost a year---the tranny and antifreeze mixing. I replaced the rad flushed the tranny about three times to get the fluid clean again. Theinitial issue here was that the truck started running in safe mode during the issue (0ne gear for all driving). Before that I would hear rumbling sounds intermittently when driving for about a year.

The Smod breaks down the rubber sealing the various outlets on the transmission module.

If you check your tranny fluid regularly watch for any discoloration of the fluid and in the rad 2. It doesn't just happen overnight.

If you have to pay for a fix, the total cost is around $5,000. Nissan has an extended warranty on this coveting about $3000 of the cost.

My local mechanic who is a Nissan whiz tried to purchase a a refurb module for the tranny but they wouldn't sell it after they found out I had SMOD.
In the end my mechanic cleaned everything up inside the tranny--the electrical contacts are very important he says these trannies are very easy to work on..
I drove the truck away thinking I would scrap it or sell it on kijiji---340,000k on a 2010 with lots of body bumps and tree scratches.

It ran in safe gear for one day. The next day the transmission started working normally and has worked fine since Sept.

My advice e is that you should have plenty of notice if you check your fluids often.

Keep in mind Mine ran for a year with the antifreeze tranny fluid mix and the truck is Ok today.

I have reservations about bypassing the tranny cooler function. Keep in mind it also is a transmission heater in the winter.

This seems to be more of a problem in the Southern US where vehicles run a lot hotter. I haven't heard of any cases in Canada so you are killing a small fly with a big stick
kdj
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Make/Model: Pathfinder Chilkoot
Tim's: Tim who?

Post by kdj »

I thought SMOD's stood for ...State Munisipule Offender Data Sytstem. Has anyone else seen The Blue's Brothers? I'll have to check that out.
Morpheus

Post by Morpheus »

We've done I think 4 rad bypasses for members, and not one had reported any issues. IMO the worst it will cause is some drivability issues when cold. Well worth the alternative.

SlaveX
Premium Member
Premium Member
Year: 2002
Tim's: Stupped DD Tea

Post by SlaveX »

kdj wrote:I thought SMOD's stood for ...State Munisipule Offender Data Sytstem. Has anyone else seen The Blue's Brothers? I'll have to check that out.
SCMODS (State, County, Municipal Offender Data System) report for Elwood Blues:

BLUES, ELWOOD
ILLINOIS LICENSE : B263-1655-2187
CURRENTLY UNDER SUSPENSION
WARRANTS OUTSTANDING : PARKG. 116
MOVING VIOLATIONS : 56
ARREST DRIVER ... IMPOUND VEHICLE

:dance:
John Wayne wrote:
"Life is hard, it's (even) harder if you're stupid."