1st gen - oil loss

Having problems with your Nissan truck? Search & post here!
Snafu
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Xterra S
Year: 2007
Tim's: Double milk - no sugar

1st gen - oil loss

Post by Snafu »

A neighbor has a 1st gen X...might be an SC model. It has lifter noise and loses about a litre of oil a week. Their mechanic friend looked it over and could not find signs of a big enough leak. So thinking is that it must be burning it or possibly losing it in coolant.

Anyone run into something similar? I have not had a chance to look at the truck.

They are thinking of another engine. Any out there?

Thanks
Worlds Greatest Acronym:
A.D.O.S.S: Attention Deficit Oooooo Something Shiny! (thanks Simon!)

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: Medium Regular

Re: 1st gen - oil loss

Post by Adam »

This is what my Xterra was doing. Check compression, bet it will be low on a few cylinders. On mine it was because the fuel injectors leaked and washed down the cylinder walls...Tried to repair it but no dice. Bought a used, and tested motor to replace it with.

The sure sign of this is to remove the PCV hoses and see how much oil is in there. Mine was so bad that there was motor oil in the intake, all through the supercharger, and even on the air filter. Lost about a liter of oil per 200k, less if you drove it extremely gently.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
Morpheus
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2003
Tim's: 3x3

Re: 1st gen - oil loss

Post by Morpheus »

They should do a dry and wet compression test. This will help indicate if it's top end or bottom end.
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676