Roof rust

Having problems with your Nissan truck? Search & post here!
Hodie
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: hot chocolate

Roof rust

Post by Hodie »

My new to me 2002 Xterra SE SC has seven spots of rust on the roof. Just blistered surface spots about 2-3 inches around. But I want to look after them before winter. I am toying with the idea of removing the rust, scuffing the whole roof and applying bed liner or similar. The truck is yellow so a flat black roof wouldn't look too weird would it?
My first choice would be a colour matched repair but I can't afford to go the body shop route.
Have any of you had any luck matching this yellow? I know our local Napa can do up spray cans to a paint code and they sell a very good two part clear coat. (I've sprayed a few motorcycle tanks with good results). But I doubt it would match the original (now faded) paint close enough to do spot repairs.
Any thoughts or advice is welcome.

thanks!
Hodie (Ken)
2002 Xterra SE SC
Snafu
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Xterra S
Year: 2007
Tim's: Double milk - no sugar

Re: Roof rust

Post by Snafu »

Matching is pretty hard but on the roof only you will know. Once you get the rust off treat it with a rust inhibitor (I think it is a phosphate) that is suppose to react with any remaining rust to inactivated it. Follow it with a good primer before the paint or bedliner. I started to use trembled rust reformer. So far it is good but I have not gone a winter with it yet,
Worlds Greatest Acronym:
A.D.O.S.S: Attention Deficit Oooooo Something Shiny! (thanks Simon!)

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

You could remove the rack and just spray the whole roof. After a few coats of clear and some buffing/polishing it would look fine.

I had a local place match the white on my 94 pathy. After cleaning the original paint up you would not be able to tell where I repaired.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
Bow_Tied
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Post by Bow_Tied »

If you do some of the prep work like remove the roof rack you might be surprised that you could get it painted for $300. Otherwise I agree with Adam, why not spray the whole roof your self? Repair the rust, dewax and scotchbrite the rest of the roof and go for it. Worst case scenario is you don't like the outcome and you bedliner it anyway.
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
Morpheus
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2003
Tim's: 3x3

Post by Morpheus »

My 2c..

I don't know if I'd go bedliner myself, but flat black for sure.

If you try to match it, and it's off by a shade or two, it will usually stick out like a sore thumb.

Going a contrasting colour like black will make it less noticeable.
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676
Hodie

Post by Hodie »

Thanks for the help guys. There are two spots on the rear door sills as well. I think I'll tackle them first. I ordered a Napa color matched to the paint code spray bomb today. I'll see how good the match is there and decide about the roof. I know there will be less fade inside the door than on the roof but it should give me an idea. And if its too far off I'll do something in flat black on the roof.
Hodie
2002 Xterra SE SC
Morpheus
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2003
Tim's: 3x3

Post by Morpheus »

I've used Napa spray bombs, they're usually pretty close.

I found that if you wet sand it after painting, and then give it a final spray with clear coat, it comes out pretty good.
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676
Snafu
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Xterra S
Year: 2007
Tim's: Double milk - no sugar

Post by Snafu »

The downside with the flat black is the heat form the sun. It gets pretty toasty (says teh guy with a flat black truck)
Worlds Greatest Acronym:
A.D.O.S.S: Attention Deficit Oooooo Something Shiny! (thanks Simon!)

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.
Adam
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

Morpheus wrote:I've used Napa spray bombs, they're usually pretty close.

I found that if you wet sand it after painting, and then give it a final spray with clear coat, it comes out pretty good.
This.

And if you cut and polish the rest of the paint to "bring it back" so to speak, it will be pretty much dead on.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
Hodie

Post by Hodie »

All good advice. I'll let you know how it turns out. Probably get a start on it next week. In the meantime I've fixed the key fob, (was missing the battery), changed the oil and filter, fixed the trailer light connector and installed the basket I bought off Lucas. All small stuff but I'm having fun. Before winter I want to fix the body spots I've talked about and get the truck Krowned. Plus I'd like to find a set of steel wheels and tires to change to so I can preserve the factory ones. They are in very good condition and I'd hate to ruin them in the salt. Will have to see if my budget can stretch this far, :)
2002 Xterra SE SC