Loss of life offroading on Labour day weekend

General Chat about the forum, it's members & their trucks.
Scotto
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2006
Tim's: L Reg

Loss of life offroading on Labour day weekend

Post by Scotto »

I copied this straight from JeepKings, where I give credit to Mayheminc for the intro, and since I can see no way to write it better, I took it and post it here... Thanks Mayhem....

Tragic, we are all brothers and sisters in this sport and it's very sad when we lose one of our own. I'm posting this up both to show respect to the gentleman that passed and for all those to make sure you do things safely and pay attention offroad.

The tow hook on the vehicle he was pulling out tore off by the sounds of it, basic metal fatigue. Please when helping others out or getting recovered yourself make sure your tow points are structural and will take the abuse. We often are in such a rush to get where we need to go (myself included) we overlook inspecting important bits on our rigs, so take the time and if you notice any stress fractures or cracks just don't chance it...get it fixed. If you are a newbie to the sport have an experienced offroader check your rig prior to hitting a trail. This ensures everyone's saftey.

Out of respect for the deceased and his family, I kindly ask that you refrain from the "coulda shoulda woulda" crap and keep any negative comments to yourself, this could have been any one of us. Moderators can you please keep an eye on this to prevent this from happening.

Quote:
A FLUSHING, MI man was killed instantly Friday evening in a freak accident that occurred at the Powerline Park in St. Clairsville.

The 22-year-old was attempting to use his four-wheel drive truck to free another similar vehicle that was bogged down in mud when the accident happened.

Joey Fulton of Flushing was driving the tow vehicle when the hook on the second vehicle snapped and flew forward crashing the his back window and striking him in the head killing him instantly.

"It was a very freak accident," said Belmont County Sheriff Fred Thompson. "No others people were injured. He was just trying to help someone out. The hook snapped when he initially accelerated his vehicle in attempt to pull the other vehicle out of the mud."

Thompson said the park is often used for such activities and did not anticipate any type of charges to be filed in the accident.

"They were just enjoying some off-road activities with their four-wheel drives," Thompson said. "It was an organized event.

Also responding to the scene were officials and emergency personnel from the Ohio State Patrol, Cumberland Trail and Flushing Volunteer Fire Department.

Fulton was pronounced dead at the scene.

My deepest sympathies go out to his family and friends.
Last edited by Scotto on Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Re: Loss of life offroading on Labour day weekend

Post by Simon »

Sad to read, though, it should come as a wake up call to all of us. Ensure everything's good and solid, and RATED for the load you're pulling. A 5,000 lb strap, shackle or otherwise is not sufficient to pull a 4000lb + vehicle out of a stuck situation. The load will FAR exceed that number, and could easily double.

For anyone leading trails, whether at an organized event like AW, or otherwise; ensure that the trucks in your group are prepared for the trail. :thumbup:
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
Pezzy
Make/Model: Ford F150
Year: 2018
Tim's: Steeped Tea, 1/2 Sugar

Post by Pezzy »

Definitely a reminder for us all to be careful during recoveries... it's not the first time I have heard of people being killed when recovery equipment fails or is used incorrectly.
I my PATHFInDERs.
R.I.P. 99.5 Green Machine :cry:
Xcited
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Ram 1500 Sport CC
Year: 2014
Tim's: Lg x3/x3 + chdr bagel

Post by Xcited »

Very very sad. :(

As said, a sobering reminder of what COULD happen to ANY of us. You can never be too careful when on the trail, particularly when doing recoveries. We all cut corners sometimes, myself included, but we need to be diligent in this area to ensure we never have to read about one of our own members this way.
"20 yrs from now you'll be more disappointed by things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Most people I hear getting killed are standing around. You'd think that being in the vehicle would be the safest spot, it would hit or get deflected off the body. That's crappy luck to get inside and hit him in the head.
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
Scotto
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2006
Tim's: L Reg

Post by Scotto »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:Most people I hear getting killed are standing around. You'd think that being in the vehicle would be the safest spot, it would hit or get deflected off the body. That's crappy luck to get inside and hit him in the head.

Safest spot is far away - preferably 90 degrees away from the vehicles being hooked up. Too common for hooks and shackles to come thru a window - this is why a lot of guys raise up their hood and put big moving blankets on the lines.

I like standing behind a tree.

Scott
Nismooh!
Make/Model: Nissan Frontier KC
Year: 2008
Tim's: L 3xsugar 2xmilk

Post by Nismooh! »

Very sad to hear :(

Its a lesson that i'll keep in mind every time i go out.

check and re check !
Darien
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Make/Model: Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Year: 2012
Tim's: Coffee or Tea

Post by Darien »

Dear God, so young, how sad.
My truck is better now