has anyone here driven to/from Soo or Thunder Bay

Camping, trail gear, recovery, gps, and related accessories.
momud
Lugnut
Lugnut
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: .4x4.
Year: 1994
Tim's: Pezzy to go. :D

Re: has anyone here driven to/from Soo or Thunder Bay

Post by momud »

i think that's the one.. i just recall your pictures not the website's but the river looks about the same. thank you. we may try that too. :thumbup:
Pezzy
Make/Model: Ford F150
Year: 2018
Tim's: Steeped Tea, 1/2 Sugar

Post by Pezzy »

yeah, I had pictures once upon a time... I think they went buh-bye with the suicidal hard drive... but that would be the place. The club has organized a couple events there, it's a lot of fun.
I my PATHFInDERs.
R.I.P. 99.5 Green Machine :cry:
inblack
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: An MX5 and a CX-5
Year: 05 08
Tim's: Black, can't muck that up

Post by inblack »

Pezzy wrote:yeah, I had pictures once upon a time... I think they went buh-bye with the suicidal hard drive... but that would be the place. The club has organized a couple events there, it's a lot of fun.

My Camera got wet and well thatnis where my pics ended up .........

Waterproof myA$$! :fist:
Is preparing to spend 6 months living out of a storage locker.
Pezzy

Post by Pezzy »

inblack wrote:
Pezzy wrote:yeah, I had pictures once upon a time... I think they went buh-bye with the suicidal hard drive... but that would be the place. The club has organized a couple events there, it's a lot of fun.

My Camera got wet and well thatnis where my pics ended up .........

I bought a disposable waterproof camera for the event. Didn't take great pictures, but it captured the event.
I my PATHFInDERs.
momud
Lugnut
Lugnut

Post by momud »

pezzy, i am sure you posted those pics on NPORA so they (some) are either on that server or a pic host you used when you linked them to that forum.
inblack
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: An MX5 and a CX-5
Year: 05 08
Tim's: Black, can't muck that up

Post by inblack »

inblack wrote:
Pezzy wrote: My Camera got wet and well thatnis where my pics ended up .........

I bought a disposable waterproof camera for the event. Didn't take great pictures, but it captured the event.
That is what I did ---
I repeat my earlier sentiment --- Waterproof my A$$

I guess that some one dropped or otherwise mangled the shipment which contained my particular camera somehere between China and here.
Still :fist:
Is preparing to spend 6 months living out of a storage locker.
Pezzy

Post by Pezzy »

momud wrote:pezzy, i am sure you posted those pics on NPORA so they (some) are either on that server or a pic host you used when you linked them to that forum.
Would have been on muddynissan, which is also gonezo. :disapprove:
I my PATHFInDERs.
momud
Lugnut
Lugnut

Post by momud »

i can look to see if i have any of them but i bet i know who might.. k9... lol
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

The farthest city i've been too is Wawa and Herst, but driving along the #11 we got to about 400km's from Thunder Bay (last McDonalds for 400km was advertised ironicly) before we had to head south for Wawa. It's a good drive, the only thing I'd recommend is to bring alot of music. And I agree that it's not worth chancing it for fuel.

I actually did some work in Sudbury this summer and my parents were camping with my cousin and her family the end of that week in Port Elgin. I was suppose to go up with them, but that job was literally last minute, so I loaded all my stuff and worked in Sudbury, than went to Port Elgin from there. On the way back i decided to take the MS Chi-Cheemaun ferry across since I haven't been on it in about 15 years. And I'm pretty sure too that it is faster driver around, but it's definitely different.

2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
momud
Lugnut
Lugnut

Post by momud »

hey, anybody have any good sources for mapping software of at least ON? freebie would be best, of course. :lol:

is wi-fi widely available in Canada?

US border crossing info? how to avoid hassles?

thanks
Pezzy

Post by Pezzy »

Sorry, our igloos don't have teh interwebs yet.

I don't know of any free mapping software... I assume you mean something to run on a GPS? or a laptop??

I'm sure there are plenty of places with wi-fi, although, I dont typically look for them. The further north you head, the less chance you are going to find connections... although, I am sure there are odd places here and there with wifi...

Customs? HAH, as if I know. Don't bring me!! Oh, and leave your gun at home, if you typically keep one in the truck. (When Dan came up, he forgot it was in the truck, I think he got lucky with that one.)
I my PATHFInDERs.
Spider 007
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Jeep YJ
Year: 1991
Tim's: Soup & a Sandwich!

Post by Spider 007 »

If you know where you're going' you could always map your route on Google and save screen shots of the areas you'll need on your laptop so you can use them as you drive without the need for an internet connection. That's what I did when I crossed the country on '07 and it worked like a charm. It took a bit of time to prepare everything and get the screen shots, but it was well worth it in the end.
To lift, or not to lift? What a stupid question...
momud
Lugnut
Lugnut

Post by momud »

yes Pezzy, gps/laptop kinda thing but spider's idea is definitely something i'll consider if i don't find something more "live". thanks spider.

(August 2010)
+ a dog leg between A and B to Hamilton area.

i'm talking wifi along the above route: do the provincial or national parks have it? wifi isn't a necessity but would be nice to have access to the webs along the way. if wifi's sporadic at best, do public libraries up there have web access?

while i'm asking the above, i ought to ask about cell service. is the are well covered or not at all. either way, i'd just like to know.

i asked about customs because i know you have had some run-ins with them Pezzy.. i really have had pretty easy crossings in the past.. even the last two since USA has been at war. the last time Canadian customs were the ones that were not so friendly though. no guns (i'm well aware of that) but i have my own unique set of issues. but besides that, how do i avoid hassles at the border. yes, i'm planning on washing the damn thing right before crossing either dir. my entry pts. will be either Prt. Huron/Sarnia or Detroit and Grand Portage, MN or possibly Sault Ste. Marie.

off note: does mookie hang around here often? i'm thinking he's driven this route or something darn similar, a couple of times.
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

hey, anybody have any good sources for mapping software of at least ON? freebie would be best, of course.
Microsoft Steets and Trips would be a true mapping software. "Free" depends on where you acquire it ;), but I would recommend purchasing it so you get the USB GPS Receiver. There's iGuidance, but that's more of a navigation software than mapping. My CarPCs typically have both for that reason.

Wi-Fi isn't a service, it's just a term to describe wireless routers setup as public hotspots, so technically, someone in an igloo that has an internet and an open wireless router, you can technically getz teh interwebs from an igloo (there's a place in Cochrane that you could actually). If you have a laptop with a wireless connection, you can use software called "Netstumbler". It's a piece of software that scans for wireless networks. You can even set it to give off a tone when one is detected, and it will change pitch depending on the signal strength.

Some Provincial parks do have Wifi, but normally they're in the visitors center. Libraries do have the internet, same goes with Starbucks. There's some McDonalds that do as well. I know there's one on the 400 that does (with a meal of course). Hotels typically use wireless connections since it's cheaper than wiring their whole building. With Netstumbler, you can just drive around even neighbourhoods to find open wireless access points.

I don't know when you plan on driving down, but remember, the Chi-cheemaun runs only from May to October

I've never had a hard time at the border. Just be clear, answer their questions and don't go beyond what they ask. Respond quick and simply. If they want to know more, they'll ask....
momud
Lugnut
Lugnut

Post by momud »

August.. would you recommend making reservations for the ferry?

the laptop i'd be bringing is loaded.. all i wondered was the wifi availability out there.. sounds like it'll do. didn't think about $buck or mickey's... hardly ever visit either. but shall keep that in mind. there will definitely be NO hotels and possibly minimum of developed campground camping, if i can help it anyway. :)

i have nuvi for nav and it covers Canada roads.. am thinking more details then the nuvi.. topo type of software would be killer.. can you guys tell me the names of a few good canadian topo softwares? thanks.

as to the border: that is exactly what i do but things are changing or have changed, i'll be travelling with a LOADED vehicle etc... it's a little more complicated then that. but i'll find out more from both customs authorities. still wouldn't mind hearing analysis of bad crossing. i want to minimize chances of things going bad.

thanks
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Man, when I worked in Virginia I did ALOT of border crossing, a few with a LOADED car (desk, tires, crossed the border once with a carbon fiber hood) and a few other with a work van loaded with passengers and cargo. I think what made it easier me me was that we had a TN Visa.

Apparently S&T2k9 had topo maps
Pezzy

Post by Pezzy »

momud wrote:August.. would you recommend making reservations for the ferry?
I would... I have heard of people not being able to make it across.
I my PATHFInDERs.
momud
Lugnut
Lugnut

Post by momud »

i saw there was some kind of fast pass or what not for extra $20.. will do then when i nail down the dates. thanks.

has anybody driven around the other side of Georgian Bay? anything of note? <- plan B
looks like Bruce P and the island will take up a couple of days. looks like fun.
Spider 007
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Jeep YJ
Year: 1991
Tim's: Soup & a Sandwich!

Post by Spider 007 »

For the cell phone coverage, the area between Sault Ste-Marie and Thunder Bay is the only place I seen that had uneven coverage. You'll hit a bunch of dead spots as you go up & down the hills, but nothing major. The rest should be fine...
To lift, or not to lift? What a stupid question...
Pezzy

Post by Pezzy »

momud wrote:i saw there was some kind of fast pass or what not for extra $20.. will do then when i nail down the dates. thanks.

has anybody driven around the other side of Georgian Bay? anything of note? <- plan B
looks like Bruce P and the island will take up a couple of days. looks like fun.
When I have gone, I went up via the ferry, and took the long way around to come home. We went thru Sudbury, to stop in at the big Nickle. Although, it's not terribly exciting, it is just a big nickle. They have a learning center, and I dont know what else there... we didnt pay to get in.
I my PATHFInDERs.