Regular Camper Trailers

Camping, trail gear, recovery, gps, and related accessories.
Feds
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Pathfinder
Year: 1998
Tim's: Black

Regular Camper Trailers

Post by Feds »

Since last summer Mrs. Feds and I have become old and familied, which means no more tent camping. I had thought about the rooftop tent, but that is a non-starter with the Mrs. Something about carrying a crying baby down a ladder at 2 am? :crazy:

So, now we're looking at for-real camping trailers. I'm leaning toward a hard trailer, under 20 ft. Mrs. Feds is leaning toward a pop up. I have, as near as makes no difference, 0 experience with camper trailers.

Does anyone have, or used to have, a camper trailer? What would you do differently if you were to buy again? Tips? Tricks? Advice?

Thanks.
Jayman
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Year: 2002
Tim's: Double Double

Re: Regular Camper Trailers

Post by Jayman »

My wife and I are thinking along the same lines as you. Camping in a tent is alright, but something like a pop-up trailer might be nice as well.

We are thinking about maybe renting one for the AW this year to try it out, but we'll see how that goes...

I think if that's the way you are leaning, you can probably get a pretty good deal on a used one from a trailer dealer, or even through something like Auto Trader...
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
HolidayNation
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Xterra XE stick
Year: 2004
Tim's: 60oz BEER please

Post by HolidayNation »

Well Mr.Feds, having had experience with both and once again find myself trailer shopping. Let me say this about that. I have a 24ft hard top, its static never to be moved again. It was a beast to tow(overheated a ford 4x4) and dragging it around from place to place was a pita to say the least. So imho unless you were going big rig style ie:fifth wheel set up or perminent trailer park, I would opt out. Even though there are lighter rigs out there, they are no less effort than a pop up. Now as for durability I have seen my buddy comfortably live for 5 months in his with no more issues than I had in my hard top. Annnnnd, if you want to tour you just close er down hook up and go. Most are easib ly towable by X or van and set up is imho just as easy as a hard top(unless you are on a nice campground level cement pad, then there might be a little more work). There are numerous set ups from large and posh to the simplest of cargo/tent set ups and decent rigs used on autotrader and kijji or what have you. The misses isn't a camper(although I did get her into a tent at last years AW) and we are looking at pop ups for behind the X and/or van for taking our daughter provincial park hopping. Do a google search of what's available for set ups I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREYs WITHOUT BATS]- :)
Where's Slawek?........... Crunch?
Aerosols may be depleting the ozone, but warning labels are depleting the gene pool
OF4WD-5557
Bow_Tied
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Post by Bow_Tied »

Big factor is your tow vehice. If your tow vehicle is limited in tow capacity (I think my pathy is 5K lbs as it is anautomatic) then hard bodies can get pretty small - but how much room you need is a personal thing. A pop-up is great for manouverability and towing is a breeze. Putting them up and down gets old, especially if you have to put it down wet as you will then need to set it up at home for few days to dry it out.

How much storage room do you have? Do you have to store off site? How often do you camp?

If you are going to do light camping once maybe twice a year for a few days a pop-up is pretty hard to beat. I don't own one, but borrow my father's often. I would prefer a small hardbody, but to get a lightweight one (so I can go a bit bigger) is harder on the pocket book. Don't forget towing really drops your fuel economy as you shouldn't really use OD.

Do you have a budget in mind?

Have you considered going bigger with a tent and using collapsible bed frames and inflatable ait matresses (or whatever it takes to keep momma happy)?
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
HolidayNation
Make/Model: Xterra XE stick
Year: 2004
Tim's: 60oz BEER please

Post by HolidayNation »

CT just posted their flyer
Coleman sale-17x9 cabin tent, built in lighting,screen room and hinged door $200. 25% off inflata beds too. Should be easy to tow ;)
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREYs WITHOUT BATS]- :)
Where's Slawek?........... Crunch?
Aerosols may be depleting the ozone, but warning labels are depleting the gene pool
OF4WD-5557
Feds
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by Feds »

Well, the Pfinder is limited to 3500 lbs, due to the manny-tranny, but, well, that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

I'd be storing it at home, but smaller is better, as things tend to get crowded around here in the winter. And I'd figure on using it ~4x per year. Probably loaning it out twice-ish, knowing my family.

I also have the problem of aesthetics. I'd spend more money for something that looked cool over something dowdy, all else being equal. Or, I'd choose something nice to look at over something slightly more practical, if they cost the same.

Cost wise: I'd probably go up to $4k for "the perfect trailer": Clean, well looked after, cool to look at, room for 5-ish. I've been keeping an eye on some vintage bolers, and tin-cans of all types, but so far nothing has jumped out at me.
Rev
Make/Model: Xterra SE
Year: 2008
Tim's: Hot chocolate

Post by Rev »

I had this discussion and debate with myself for quite a while. We looked at a lot of trailer places. We found out that a cheap pop up is around 6k plus fees to store it (in our case). We have since opted for a really nice tent with much more room and a good screen room. Cost for both is less than $1000 and I don't have to pay to store it or tow it. Just our experience, for whatever it is worth.
Bow_Tied

Post by Bow_Tied »

http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/details. ... id=7265637" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is very similar to the one my folks have that I borrow. It is easy to store and tow. I don't know what you find cool to look at for trailers. Vintage bolers are kinda cool. For a family a small one may not have enough room?

How old are you kid(s)? Last couple of years our daughter was not very old and we set-up the play pen for her to sleep in on one of the fold down cots and that left the small pushout bed for storage and supplies which my wife brings in quantity. That worked well enough but floor space was always a premium.

How tall are you and your Mrs? My wife and I are above average and find the "queen" size matress in that trailer to be too small - we build the bench up with pillows and sleep with our heads toward the tongue instead. Talking to friends about trailers I find it can be a very personal thing, I think you need to go shopping to see what you like. Look for effcient use of space, and get something with a fridge instead of an ice box if you can.
#MoreRon

Feds
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by Feds »

Isaac is 1, and there will be another along sooner rather than later. I'm 5-9, and she's 5-6, so we're perfectly average, which makes shopping for pretty much anything easy. I figure I would be building/modifying a bunk with side rails for now.

I'd definitely like a trailer with a fridge and a stove. I'm staying away from toilet and shower right now, as it seems like a lot of maintainance/effort for not a lot of benefit.

As for cool-to-look-at:

http://lunchtongue.blogspot.com/2008/08 ... mpers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Vs. not-cool-to-look-at:

I'm leaning toward the hard-side camper based on how we typically do our camping trips/vacations: Drive somewhere, tour/shop/hike/whatever all day, arrive at camp sites late, repeat. With a trailer it saves us the hassle of setup/tear down every day or 2.

I agree on the personal preference. Is there anything out of the ordinary I should look for while shopping? Like other than "make sure things work", and "check for rust"?
Bow_Tied

Post by Bow_Tied »

Feds wrote:I agree on the personal preference. Is there anything out of the ordinary I should look for while shopping? Like other than "make sure things work", and "check for rust"?
My wife and I have been talking for a while about getting a trailer. Reading your post got me thinking more about it and I had the same questions - I think I got some good answers from another club I belong to, hope this helps you:

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265642" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
#MoreRon

Feds
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by Feds »

Thanks! Good info on that link for sure?

What variety of chevelle do you have? We had a '71 for years before it succombed to lack of maintainance.
Bow_Tied

Post by Bow_Tied »

That site is a huge community for Chevelles, thousands of members and one of the best run boards on the net (well, they have never attained the level of a membership of Asshats like here, but other than that...)

Really? Cool - My first car: '71 Malibu 2 door hardtop 350/350. I still have it, but it is completely gone/not worth saving. I also have a '69 SS396 2 door hardtop 396/4 speed, not mint, just a nice driver.
#MoreRon

Miner
Make/Model: Cummins 2500 HD
Year: 2012
Tim's: McD's 3C1S

Post by Miner »

My call is get a Hybrid. I have used and borrowed my step-fathers 24" kiwi a couple of times, pulls fine behind a half-ton and has a lot of interior space (the beds fold out of the ends like a pop up). They are available in sizes comparable to pop-ups, setup is easier and you can use the main space without any setup.
Cummins - Zone, BD, AFE, Yokohama, Bestop, Access, VisonX, H&S
Simon wrote:It's not like the membership voted under control of a heavy hand...

Dammit, I've said too much...I'll have to ban you now
Scotto
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2006
Tim's: L Reg

Post by Scotto »

Miner wrote:My call is get a Hybrid. I have used and borrowed my step-fathers 24" kiwi a couple of times, pulls fine behind a half-ton and has a lot of interior space (the beds fold out of the ends like a pop up). They are available in sizes comparable to pop-ups, setup is easier and you can use the main space without any setup.

24" :confuse: ??? What is this place turning into? Spinal Tap?
Feds
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by Feds »

Scotto wrote: 24" :confuse: ??? What is this place turning into? Spinal Tap?
Well played, but unless someones truck goes to 11, we should be o.k.
xrover
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Nissan Xterra
Year: 2005
Tim's: Large, DC, 1 sweetner

Post by xrover »

You can get some good deals on some of the small lightweight trailers like the Shasta listed above, as well as Bolers. They are tow-able for under 3500 pounds, and seem to be making a rebirth. If you are willing to travel to pick one up, there are many to be found. Oh, and they have some major cool factor. Do a google on "small vintage trailers".

I'll be revealing my new sleeping digs in a few weeks. :teeth:
2005 Nissan Xterra
2014 Argo 650HD 6x6
Scotto
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2006
Tim's: L Reg

Post by Scotto »

Feds wrote:
Scotto wrote: 24" :confuse: ??? What is this place turning into? Spinal Tap?
Well played, but unless someones truck goes to 11, we should be o.k.
I wrote a tune last night for you and the search for the mighty trailer, and what will happen to the fuel economy of your poor Pathy... It's in the G-flat, the saddest of all the keys. It's called Lick My Love Pump.

Scott
xrover
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Nissan Xterra
Tim's: Large, DC, 1 sweetner

Post by xrover »

There's a couple of ebay auctions going on now for some nice small vintage trailers. May need some work inside, but remember, most of these trailers were built with luan plywood with aluminum skin over it. The panelling is still available at Lowes etc, and it's easy to work plywood. All within a days drive of GTA, and all will fit in a garage.

250392102730 - this one ends at around 3pm EST today! - SOLD for $708 US$
160322529664 - 1962 Sero Scotty - needs restoration but will probably go for less than $1k.
160322583541 - 1966 Scotty - very cool looking one.
250393830987 - 1966 Shasta - bit longer drive but Buy Now price of $1625. Move in condition. VERY RETRO!
260381685810 - 1980 Scotty - newer but will sell in the $3k range
190295672450 - 1984 Egg style - like a Boler - seems very unique.
220380883025 - 1968 Shasta Lo Flyte - newer style but nice interior
300301936148 - 1971 Scotty - I think in montana - far away - road trip

Found some more:
http://www.rvhunter.com/index.php?page=list&uid=102894" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (this one is in Quebec)

Camp the way your parents did!
2005 Nissan Xterra
2014 Argo 650HD 6x6
wolec
Make/Model: Exterra OR

Post by wolec »

I used to have a tent pop up trailer, Coleman, top of the line, hot water tank, fridge, two king size beds, etc.. Nice thing and way more comfortable, especially if you have kids. It was just under 3000 pounds. This was my second trailer as in the past I used to have another coleman pop up. I heard they are supposed to be the best. Howerver, it is still a lot o work to set it up, especially if you have to do the whole thing yourself while your wife is taking care of the kids. My advise would be to get what they call hybrid trailers. I think you get the best of both worlds, lighweight and enough room. Check them out.
Bow_Tied

Post by Bow_Tied »

THe hybrid hard bodies with push outs are neat, I also really like the high-low trailers. Either are out of my price range. :(
#MoreRon