Oh no, another canned ham!

Camping, trail gear, recovery, gps, and related accessories.
xrover
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Nissan Xterra
Year: 2005
Tim's: Large, DC, 1 sweetner

Oh no, another canned ham!

Post by xrover »

My wife is going to kill me, so I may not get much use out of it, but here goes. Apparently Evan (15yr) no longer wants to sleep in the same bed with his dad. He's suffering the same syndrome his mom is! So after a couple of outings in the Teardrop, it seems he won't be joining me on future ventures, which bums me out. So I started searching about 4 weeks ago for a suitable replacement, small enough to fit in the garage, light enough to be pulled by anything, and of course has a major cool factor. A bathroom would be an asset, a shower out of this world, as I may actually be able to get Cheryl to come out. I missed out on a number of good trailers during that time, but I was really focused on a Serro Scotty since at 6' 4" they will fit into the trailer. Last night the dream machine appeared on ebay, and I jumped on it.
- 1962 Serro Scotty Sportsman Gaucho edition
- front dinette which folds into a bed
- rear bench which folds in the main bed
- kitchen with sunken floor to give enough headroom
- bathroom with shower (this area will need some work)
- silver sided and not in a need of a rebuild.
- all this in a 13' trailer
Photos at:
http://s234.photobucket.com/albums/ee30 ... /?start=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, yes it means I am looking at selling Teardrop. I think Gino is a natural for it. Not tents required, and it has a travelling kitchen and we know how important that is. Once I get the Scotty sorted out I will post up on the teardrop for sale. I will be asked $2500 for her. She is solid, pulls like a dream, and certainly gets attention at the campground. Gino, it's almost like taking a baby out for a walk on weekday afternoon.
2005 Nissan Xterra
2014 Argo 650HD 6x6
X-Treme
Make/Model: Xterra - Offroad

Re: Oh no, another canned ham!

Post by X-Treme »

xrover wrote:So I started searching about 4 weeks ago for a suitable replacement, small enough to fit in the garage, light enough to be pulled by anything, and of course has a major cool factor.
When I read this, I thought you were referring to a replacement or substitute son to take camping with you! :lol:

Gino, it's almost like taking a baby out for a walk on weekday afternoon.
I have no idea what you mean by this! :?
Watch it! I'm keeping my eye on you.
Rev
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Xterra SE
Year: 2008
Tim's: Hot chocolate

Post by Rev »

let's see the teardrop!
xrover
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by xrover »

http://gallery.me.com/lcater/100139" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2005 Nissan Xterra
2014 Argo 650HD 6x6
Bow_Tied
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Post by Bow_Tied »

Very nice!!! That should also garner some cap ground attention too I would think.

Seems like a decent layout... couldn't really see what you mean by drop floor in the pictures though.

13' - is that body length or overall length incl tongue? What is the overall width?

:thumbup:
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
xrover
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by xrover »

13 feet is the trailer length + 2' for the tongue.
It is 6' 4" high, and the same wide.
So the drop floor is basically a box built between the frame wells that you step down into when cooking (since when you sit at the dinette or the gaucho couch/bed you don't need the extra height) you have just over 6' of height which is high enough for me. When you figure the whole trailer is 6' 4" high, and there is about 8" underneath it, the drop floor gives you back another 4".
2005 Nissan Xterra
2014 Argo 650HD 6x6
xrover
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by xrover »

Gino, it's almost like taking a baby out for a walk on weekday afternoon.
I have no idea what you mean by this! :?[/quote]

Babe magnet!
2005 Nissan Xterra
2014 Argo 650HD 6x6
Bow_Tied

Post by Bow_Tied »

xrover wrote:13 feet is the trailer length + 2' for the tongue.
It is 6' 4" high, and the same wide.
So the drop floor is basically a box built between the frame wells that you step down into when cooking (since when you sit at the dinette or the gaucho couch/bed you don't need the extra height) you have just over 6' of height which is high enough for me. When you figure the whole trailer is 6' 4" high, and there is about 8" underneath it, the drop floor gives you back another 4".
Cool... very similar in sizing to our Shasta and we don't have a bathroom even. Ours is 16', but the body sizeoutside is ~13' 4" x 7' wide. I have not measured the height, but at its highest it must be all of 7', maybe pushing upward of 8'? DoOn't think it would fit into my garage at least. I have 6' 2" in the kitchen area (not bad as I am 6'1) and it tapers slightly over the dinette and a lot over the rear bunk.

What do you need to do to it? How are the tires and bearings? The PO put car tires on my trailer :stickwack: So I went and got some STs for it.
#MoreRon

xrover
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by xrover »

The current owner uses it now as it is solid. There will be some stuff to the water system as they have not used the shower. Luckily the owner prior was the original owners and as well a carpenter so he redid it about 6 years ago I think. So it's ready to roll and use, although I will start to tinker. The guy bought a Shasta as he has 2 boys and needed more sleeping which the Shasta provides. I have only found the Serro Scotty and The Cree are short enough to fit into a standard garage. This was a selling feature of the Scotty. I actually had put a bid in on a 1964 Shasta but luckily I was below the reserve and then got outbid as that bid was still in there when I found the Scotty. He had it listed at $1200us starting bid with a $1499 buy now. I saw a nice looking scotty for $1000 go fast, so I figured I would jump at it. I spoke to the owner today and it looks like I have lucked out on this one.
I'll let you know.
Len
2005 Nissan Xterra
2014 Argo 650HD 6x6
Rev
Make/Model: Xterra SE
Year: 2008
Tim's: Hot chocolate

Post by Rev »

very nice! :thumbup: If I had the dough!
Bow_Tied

Post by Bow_Tied »

Good stuff. Looking forward to more pics.
xrover wrote: There will be some stuff to the water system as they have not used the shower.

I have only found the Serro Scotty and The Cree are short enough to fit into a standard garage. This was a selling feature of the Scotty.
I need to get a new water tank for mine, so if this is something you find a good source for let me know. I have found some on the net and local, but keeping an eye out for a bargain.

You plan to store yours in the garage? or just to work on it. I am lucky that my garage as an opening header panel above the door, so I can put it in if I need to. But I will likely find off-site storage for winter.

So, should we make some stickers up that say SHIFT - Canned Ham! :teeth:
#MoreRon

xrover
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by xrover »

Looks like I have a busy week coming up!
I had posted some questions on the TTT about the Scotty and mentioned that it means I will be selling the teardrop. A member contacted my and BAM! - Sold! Monday I am taking it to Sarnia to meet her half way. Then on Tuesday I am driving down to Stamford for some meetings, and pick up the Scotty!
2005 Nissan Xterra
2014 Argo 650HD 6x6
Bow_Tied

Post by Bow_Tied »

Stamford CT?

If you need a pit stop Monday night, I am only a couple minutes off of the 402 in London. You can check our can of ham :teeth:
#MoreRon

xrover
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by xrover »

I picked up the Scotty and brought her back home today. She pulls extremely nice, and was doing 70mph most of the way. No swaying or that annoying tugging. I am really happy with it. She is in good enough condition that I can start camping in her right away, but has some work that was done to her that I will replace. i.e. The ceiling was painted white, so over time I will re-skin with 1/8" white birch (and new foam insulation while I am at it). As I was leaving the New York area, I got behind a gravel truck that was spewing out stones on every bump. Before I could get over, a 1" stone came off, sailing just over the roof of the van, and right into the centre window of the trailer. Looks like a gunshot hole, which has now spread out. And then we were 5 minutes from the border when I guy signals us to tell me that my license plate holder packed it in and left my plate on the I90! I admit I may have done some fabrication of the story coming through customs!

Anyway, the point of this story is there was an orange new style Xterra pulling a Shasta and taking a LONG time at the customs booth. I'm thinking it's Bow_Tied. I've don't recall the truck he drives, and I know he has a Shasta (okay so this one didn't have the stripe). After I got through, I pulled over and waited for them, and they came by and pulled over in front of me. I figure this must be Bow_tied, so I get out and approach the vehicle. The driver window opens and there is an older man sitting there, with what appears to be his daughter in the passenger seat. In front of their vehicle is a sedan which is the wife of the old man. So I mention if they are members of the Nissan truck club. Nope. I told him I thought I knew him since a member has an older Shasta somewhat like there's. He looks at me, then looks at his daughter and asks her if the trailer is a Shasta. They both have no idea what it is. But what else I know, is the smell of pot when smoked inside a vehicle. No wonder they took forever through customs. They had to wait for the customs gut to get stoned off their second hand smoke.
2005 Nissan Xterra
2014 Argo 650HD 6x6
Bow_Tied

Post by Bow_Tied »

HAHA LMAO!!!!

No it wasn't me. I have friends who partake in the whacky tebacci, but not me (whacky enough as is).
We have an 02 Pathy, but I pull the Shasta with my Jimmy.

Great story, glad you made it back ok.

"1/8 birch..."

Will you get the laminate style or seek out actual birch plywood? I got some 1/8 birch laminate from Cashway for ~$23/sht but was wondering if I shoulda got actual birch plywood.

"towing 70 mph "

I presume to go that speed you were in overdrive?
#MoreRon

xrover
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by xrover »

I'll buy plain birch plywood. I think Lowes carries it here.
I was actually driving the minivan as my daughter came with me and we were looking for comfort.
But it stayed pretty much in the gear, only hunted on the hills.
2005 Nissan Xterra
2014 Argo 650HD 6x6
Bow_Tied

Post by Bow_Tied »

I am guessing the scotty is lighter than the shasta then. There feels like enough weight there that I don't want to use O/D (towing with the Jimmy) as the revs would be way too low, ~1500 @ 80km. 3rd sets me at 2200 @ 80 which seems about right to me. I am still looking to verify the weight of the Shasta, but I am ball parking it at 2200.
#MoreRon

xrover
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by xrover »

I have not completed the full shakedown yet but here is what I have uncovered so far on my Scotty
- no grey water system in place. All plumbing is there for it, just no tank.
- fresh water tank was removed although it has a nice filling station area on the outside
- bathroom will need some slight work to use the shower. I have not gotten underneath yet to see if there is a black water tank yet
- my scotty is unique. When the original owner (who was a wood worker) did the cabinet replacements, he also did a new layout as I have yet to find anyone else with the same layout. The initial layout would have had the kitchen opposite the door and then a storage closet on the door side. He switched this around to I guess accomodate the bathroom?
- the left rear side edging has loosened up exposing the joint. I'll need to get to that sooner than later.

I will post pics this weekend.
2005 Nissan Xterra
2014 Argo 650HD 6x6
xrover
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by xrover »

These are now my photos. A few things to work on first
- the dinette bench needs some minor repairs to go into a bed
- there is some separation in one of the seems. A minor fix, although I may look into replacing the exterior trim anyway as the stock stuff is looking tatty.
- the lights work, but need to replace some as they burnt out.

So, as I said, I can camp now in it with some adjustments
- need a waste water tank before I can use the toilet/shower
- need a grey water tank if I want to do the sink proper. I can just use my camp sink and toss out the water after.

http://gallery.me.com/lcater#100163&vie ... lack&sel=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2005 Nissan Xterra
2014 Argo 650HD 6x6
Bow_Tied

Post by Bow_Tied »

Looking good!

I really like the design of the tear drop wheel well opening on the outside, very period styling like a 56 Chev or something.

My front windows were replaced by plexi-glass by the PO, I was gonna put in glass and build a stone guard, but I think I may just leave it as it.

I do not have a gray water tank either. I was planning to put a pail under the drain line underneath the trailer. I hope campgrounds don't freak out about that.
#MoreRon