New CB to install

Camping, trail gear, recovery, gps, and related accessories.
steelcityslicker
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Xterra SE
Year: 2000
Tim's: Coffee is good.

Re: New CB to install

Post by steelcityslicker »

Scott,

I just read your post. My cb instructions advise to plug the power wire into an open fuse in the fuse panel. It's just a bare wire without a prong of any sort. Is this an ok idea? What is a better way of doing it? Can an adapter be used with this wire so that I can just plug it into the cig lighter? I bought a multi-port adapter for the cig lighter by the way.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter". - Hemingway
Rev
Year: 2008
Tim's: Hot chocolate

Post by Rev »

You get less feedback if you come directly from the battery. If you do it right and put a fuse at the battery you have little chance of a fire. Almost every radio shop will tell you this is the way to do it. Dudu, do a search on installing a fuse block or running power into the cabin. Or come over and I'll show you how I did it.

Don't order from Ebay. Just go here: http://radioworld.ca/index.php?osCsid=c ... ppv753lvj6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; That way you can take it back if you have a problem. They can help you with a mount and antenna. I'm off all next week if you need help.
Rev

Post by Rev »

steelcityslicker wrote:Plus, Rev needs competition in the "interior lighting" department :lol:
ha ha ha. That Cobra 29 with the bright blue LED is the one I have! (I keep it on low because even in my door pocket it is too bright!)

I think the Cobra 19 is a better option for most people as the 29, no matter how pretty, is just too darn huge! Just my $.02
steelcityslicker

You're off next week Rev? Good to know!! muaha ha ha ha ha :lol:
I may be calling you brother!
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter". - Hemingway
Rev

Post by Rev »

Sure thing! I'll just be putting around the house, playing a little CofD, getting the truck ready for AW and packing (and I have a funeral for a family member to perform). I have to take the whole week off just to get the weekend off for AW.
dududuckling
Make/Model: Pathfinder SE
Year: 2002
Tim's: Iced Coffee

Post by dududuckling »

steelcityslicker wrote:dudu and Rod,

IThe bluetooth option seems frivolous seeing that most navs have that option as well as stereos but then again I'm not a techie kind of guy so if that's what ur looking for Andrew go for it! Plus, Rev needs competition in the "interior lighting" department :lol:
Rev, Scott, and Slicker, thanks for all the feedbacks... I'm still sort of a noob, I thought I'd have to drill through the firewall to create another hole, so that the wire can be extended to the battery. I'm not really good with drilling, electrical, and rerouting stuff under the carpet, and that's why I initially prefer plugging it into the cigarette lighter. Rev, if you don't mind, I would like to see you set up one of these days before AW.

I already have bluetooth from the aftermarket audio system. The reason I like the Cobra 29 LTD is because it has blue lighting, which blends in with the radio and interior (My winter project is to change all the interior bulbs to blue led). But having considered the cost and the illumination that I get, I decided to go with Cobra 76 XTR because both the mic and even the antenna get illuminated! I'm gonna pose a serious competition with Rev for the CNTC brightest interior, lol...

http://www.banoggle.com/products/cobra/ ... 6-xtr.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I purchased mine off ebay for ~CA$80.00. I hope its gonna be here before AW. I am still eyeing at the 3m sway antenna, something like at the back of Pezzy's truck. Gonna have to look around on the weekend...
2002 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2000 Nissan Pathfinder SE
dududuckling

Post by dududuckling »

Rev wrote: Don't order from Ebay. Just go here: http://radioworld.ca/index.php?osCsid=c ... ppv753lvj6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; That way you can take it back if you have a problem. They can help you with a mount and antenna. I'm off all next week if you need help.
I placed the order in the afternoon... Wish I read this sooner.
dududuckling

Post by dududuckling »

Rev, which COD are you playing? On PC platform?
Rev

Post by Rev »

World at War on PS3 :)

If you are really that nervous about running wire maybe you can find one in the cabin. You just have to be aware of how much load the CB will put on the circuit. The acc plug was not meant to have multiple draws on it, for example. To take power directly from the battery, normally people find a hole in the firewall and use that. The new Xterra for example, has two. The one usually used is the one through which the hood release runs. Xtrapol8 did his this way with almost no cursing. ;)

Wow that is one bright antenna! Did you read the description?! :confuse: Man they will sell anything to kids.

"If you aren’t very familiar with CB radios, you may ask: “Why have one if I already have a cell phone?” Well, if you don’t know what a CB radio is, all you need to know is that it is similar to a two-way radio, more commonly known as a “walkie talkie.” There are only a few major differences, and that is that you can communicate with any number of people you want to at once, and they can be anywhere in the country or possibly over seas. You may think that this is similar to your cell phone, but think about it; with a cell phone you have to dial the number, wait for them to pick up, and then talking to multiple people is a hassle. With a CB radio, you just pick up the mic, and everyone on that channel can hear you all over the country. At the same time, they can talk to you too, so you get to listen to what other people have to say. The Cobra 76 XTR is the perfect CB for someone that would to buy one for the first time and see what they’re like. The best part is, it’s inexpensive, and all of its accessories come right from the box! "
Bow_Tied
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Post by Bow_Tied »

New to CBs here too...

Using the cigarette lighter as a power source - this is undesirable as it may introduce engine noise - but that is the only drawback, correct?

THe unit I have has an antenna with mag base. The wire is too long, ok to coil this up in one spot inside the truck?
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
nige
Make/Model: D22 XE 4x4
Year: 2004
Tim's: LG 2C1S

Post by nige »

Ebay isn't a bad place to get a cb; that's where mine came from. It was super old, but it had SSB (which i have yet to really use) Generally if the seller says it's going to work, you will be fine, but i would be a p.i.t.a. to have to go through a return with them. You can get them to verify it's functionality before you bid. You don't have to drive all the way to radioworld in toronto to get a good CB. They might be a few dollars cheaper, but you will spend more in gas getting there and time as well (which is to me, more precious than money). If you can swing it, get one with the NOAA weather channels. It's helpful to know what the weather will be like, and they also send out alarms when every there is a severe weather bulletin released.

Try this CB shop here I found on the internet. He has quite a bit of equipment there and i doubt he would have a problem hooking you up with the right radio and antenna. http://www.randl.com/cgi-local/cart/car ... =%28900%29

If you feel inclined to drive a bit, you can always check out my friend Tedd's store behind the petrocanada diesel paddock on the south side of the hwy 97 exit on the 401. It's about the same distance away from you, but a much nicer drive, and IMO, better service. Tell him Neil sent you there.

If you can do it, it's always a better idea to go straight to the battery with a fused power lead. If it's not convenient for you, tap into the power from the ciggy lighter, but you might start popping fuses if you have too much stuff running on that circuit. Some of the nicer CB radios have noise reduction features which can help mask the interference from the engine, power window regulators etc.
OF4WD Member #5472
Rev

Post by Rev »

nige wrote: You don't have to drive all the way to radioworld in toronto to get a good CB.
Sorry Andrew, I thought you just lived in Mississauga and it wasn't a long drive.
dududuckling

Post by dududuckling »

Rev, I read the description on the 76 xtr. Its kinda attention-seeking with regards to the antenna. But we'll see... chances are I wanna swap it with something tall, sway antenna. Will the magnetic mount stay on the roof when u go on the trail? Or is it safer to secure it to the roofrack using the zipties? I heard that zipties and ducktape work great on truck.

Nige, the online shop that you found has definitely cheap CB. I was bidding on ebay for cobra 29 ltd w/ bluetooth for US$120.00 until I said, nah, its not worth it. I'm gonna stay with the cheaper 76 xtr for now. I'm gonna have to shop around for antennas pretty soon...

yeah, I live in Mississauga. I think he's referring to slicker, who lives in Hamilton. I might visit radioworld and the shop that Neil pointed out (401 and hwy 97)
nige

Post by nige »

my antenna is mounted on the spare tire carrier. The old steel whip antenna i had got knocked out of it's base (there is a little keeper bolt that holds the antenna in the base which became loose. the antenna fell out somewhere on the bob caygeon trail). Bender gave me a black rubber coated antenna that screws into the base and it's is way tougher and has a more secure attachment point. I like Pezzy's steel whip "mantenna" the best though. It's huge and the flag is a nice touch :teeth: The Tx and Rx reception quality will depend on where you mount it. Square in the middle of the roof, hood or trunk is probably the best place for reception. Try to keep it away from vertical metal surfaces which will interfere with the radio waves. Whatever you do, don't get a fiberglass antenna. They aren't durable enough to stand up to trail abuse and are better suited for marine applications.

There are all sorts of mounts you can buy that attach the antenna to bumpers, trunk lids, roof racks, thru-hole etc. as well as the magnet mounts which are pretty sturdy as well. I'm sure each radio shop will have a wide assortment of them.
OF4WD Member #5472
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

I connected mine to the cig lighter power line, and I get noise from rolling up the windows, using the wipers, a/c etc... Also my magnet mount antenna flew off on the highway yesterday and scared the crap out of me.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
nige

Post by nige »

i should clarify that lots of CB antennas are made using fiberglass. The ones for marine use seem to be very fragile. a firestick or wilson FGT is a good antenna to use. Lots of people like the K40 magnet mounted antenna too.
OF4WD Member #5472
Rev

Post by Rev »

Du, if you want to try out my 3' fiberglass you can borrow it. I now use my whip on the trail, and probably from now on. Although you should know the Wilson requires a ground line as well as just the antenna cable.

I too like the 'mantenna she has.' I need to get me one of those! :thumbup:
Jayman
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Tim's: Double Double

Post by Jayman »

adamzan wrote:I connected mine to the cig lighter power line, and I get noise from rolling up the windows, using the wipers, a/c etc... Also my magnet mount antenna flew off on the highway yesterday and scared the crap out of me.
Zip ties are your friend!

(To the roof rack...)
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
steelcityslicker

Nige,

If I head out to your buddy Ted's place will they be able to hook me up with a steel whip, PA and the wiring/fuse
to run the cb? The reason I ask is I may not be able to head out until tomorrow or Sat and if there is something
I can't get there then I'll pick it up somewhere else in the meantime.

Oh yeah, what's his business called? :)
nige

Post by nige »

give him a call, tell him what you need :)

http://www.ve3tjd.com/lazer.html
OF4WD Member #5472