Gps

Camping, trail gear, recovery, gps, and related accessories.
LGM
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Pathfinder Chilkoot
Year: 1998
Tim's: Double Double

Re: Gps

Post by LGM »

I know you've probably already looked into this, but doesn't Rogers offer the Rocketstick in your area? I checked the rogers site and they have pretty well all of Southern Ontario covered in their network area, and it has to be better than dial-up.
All Your Base Are Belong To Us!
Snafu
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Xterra S
Year: 2007
Tim's: Double milk - no sugar

Post by Snafu »

LOL...what is claimed and what actually is are two different realities ;)

I have looked into various alternatives. For DSL in our area it costs $500 install plus $75 per month through a private firm.

Satellite is not much better (but at least you get stations to watch...we still pull in stations through an antenna :shock: ). Since we are considering getting satellite tv I might consider this approach.

Although both rogers and bell initially claimed their sticks work anywhere when you actually speak to someone the area is not covered. We are in a bowl area where our elevation is ~450M and the surrounding area is ~500M) and there is also some hydro towers that may be interferring with signals.

Another aspect of these sticks is that you pay for speeds "up to" some figure but because of our location reaching this figure may not happen (so why pay for somethign you can't get).

The semi-light at the end of the tunnel (recently been released in our area) is that bell does have an alternative (or have upgraded their hardware to allow it) is a stick that has 512kb download/128kb upload. I am not sure of the initial cost bu the monthly cost is $30-75 per month depending on how much you download (hence my reason for wanting to charge microcrap the extra I will have to pay for downloaded fixes for the POS they sold).

It might appear that I am a stingy bastard but in reality I am more concerned about what I am getting for the dollar.

Right now I am paying $20 a month for modem access, with email account, a 5MB webpage and unlimited connection time and download/uploads (it can be hooked up 24/7 and constantly downloading without incurring an additional fee).

If I go to the big greedy corps then I have to give up something for the cost (an 8x increase in download speed just may be worth the 2-3x increase in cost despite the limits).
Worlds Greatest Acronym:
A.D.O.S.S: Attention Deficit Oooooo Something Shiny! (thanks Simon!)

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.
momud
Lugnut
Lugnut
Make/Model: .4x4.
Year: 1994
Tim's: Pezzy to go. :D

Post by momud »

if you want to hook your PC up then check this for U$20: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=LT-20&cat=GPS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I already have the 06topos and 08 is on the way so i can't comment on the latter but the first is really something most excellent. USA only tho... i have not found any topos for Canadia just yet. :(
nige
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: D22 XE 4x4
Year: 2004
Tim's: LG 2C1S

Post by nige »

FYI Costco has the venerable 60CSX on sale for $199. Considering how much some of us have paid for ours and how well they stack up against garmin's new mapping GPS models, this is a really good price for a high quality reciever

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.asp ... lang=en-CA
OF4WD Member #5472
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 2
Make/Model: Jeep JKUR
Year: 2013
Tim's: Med 2 milks 1 sugar

Post by the x kid »

nige wrote:FYI Costco has the venerable 60CSX on sale for $199. Considering how much some of us have paid for ours and how well they stack up against garmin's new mapping GPS models, this is a really good price for a high quality reciever

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.asp ... lang=en-CA
So this can be used in a vehicle and on a hike for example?
nige
Make/Model: D22 XE 4x4
Year: 2004
Tim's: LG 2C1S

Post by nige »

yessir. on a boat too
OF4WD Member #5472
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 2
Make/Model: Jeep JKUR
Year: 2013
Tim's: Med 2 milks 1 sugar

Post by the x kid »

Digging up this old thread because,there are a few Garmin 60 csx's for sale on Kijiji. I never did pick one up.Are they still all that and a bag of chips,or what? If there is something new like it,tell me peeps.Otherwise,does anyone live near or is going to North Bay soon,and could check out the Garmin for me. How else would I know it's not a scam.