Hey Ottawa People... CB stuff

Camping, trail gear, recovery, gps, and related accessories.
Xtrapol8
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Xterra OR M6
Year: 2008
Tim's: Tea & Cookies

Hey Ottawa People... CB stuff

Post by Xtrapol8 »

I was at Radio World (Toronto) a couple of weeks ago and bought an SWR meter. I didn't know enough to ask for an RG58 patch cable (<$10), so I haven't used my SWR meter yet. Since Radio World is an hour away from my house and I'm going to be in Ottawa for Thanksgiving, I thought I'd ask you

"Where in Ottawa do you buy your CB stuff?"
Jayman
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Year: 2002
Tim's: Double Double

Re: Hey Ottawa People... CB stuff

Post by Jayman »

Toronto?

:D

No seriously, pickings are rather slim here. There are a few places that carry SOME stuff, but to my knowledge and searching, we don't have any stores that are specific to CB related items. There are a few stores that carry SOME items, but nothing like RadioWorld.

You may find what you are looking for at The Source (Old Radio Shack), but their stuff is pretty rudimentary. You may just find a patch cable there though. Check their website.

There is also the Antrim truck stop along hwy 17. They usually have a pretty decent selection of radio stuff, antennas, cables, mounts etc. It's a bit our of the way though, being that it's in Arnprior. About 45 minutes drive give or take, right off the hwy.

There is also Van and Truck world, but I have never had much success there, and things are expensive through them.

There are a few other places that you can get stuff through, but the trouble with most of these is that although you may be able to purchase items through them, they rarely if ever have stuff in stock so you have to wait for your order to come in.

:thumbdown:

Doesn't quite serve your purpose, considering you are only going to be in town for the weekend.
Last edited by Jayman on Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
Rev
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Xterra SE
Tim's: Hot chocolate

Post by Rev »

Just order one online. Less fuss. More happy.
Jayman

Post by Jayman »

Rev wrote:Just order one online. Less fuss. More happy.
That's usually what I end up doing for a lot of stuff, although I haven't had to get anything online for my CB yet.

Of course, I'm using a $90 Cobra, and a mag-mount CB antenna that I'm pretty sure is older then I am, so it may just be time to upgrade.

:shock:
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
HolidayNation
Make/Model: Xterra XE stick
Year: 2004
Tim's: 60oz BEER please

Post by HolidayNation »

I picked up my patch cable at the Source in Smiths Falls, I will have a look tomorrow and see if they have any in stock. They were an actual radio shack and still carry some items.
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREYs WITHOUT BATS]- :)
Where's Slawek?........... Crunch?
Aerosols may be depleting the ozone, but warning labels are depleting the gene pool
OF4WD-5557
HolidayNation
Make/Model: Xterra XE stick
Year: 2004
Tim's: 60oz BEER please

Post by HolidayNation »

They had one left at radio shack in Smiths Falls, I picked it up 7.50 if you are interested we will figure out how to get it to you. Let me know

E
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREYs WITHOUT BATS]- :)
Where's Slawek?........... Crunch?
Aerosols may be depleting the ozone, but warning labels are depleting the gene pool
OF4WD-5557
Xtrapol8
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Xtrapol8 »

Holiday Nation,

PM sent.

Thank you to all who contributed. One example of technology actually making things easier and bringing people together
:hug:

I can't believe I used that icon.
Jayman

Post by Jayman »

Xtrapol8 wrote: :hug:

I can't believe I used that icon.
:stickwack:

:teeth:
Rev

Post by Rev »

Dave needs a hug! :love:
Xtrapol8
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Xtrapol8 »

HolidayNation came through big-time.

He had the goods and was on time and was the kind of guy I hope to wheel with in the future. Maybe Friday night, I can say "Hi" to my mom, Saturday I can wheel with Holiday and some Ottawa people, then on Sunday I can finish with some more family time. One of my brothers is thinking of buying the 2010 4Runner, so maybe he gets the first ride-along. This would be what I call mixing business with pleasure or killing two birds with one stone.

Holiday was right about the Flying J too - a good wall of stuff. I went south out of Smiths Falls along Hwy 15, thinking that I could stop first at the truck stop along the 401 at Joyceville, but with 3 tired passengers, I couldn't justify going east even one off-ramp when home was west. I ended up at The Flying J in Napanee and found my version of.............. The Missing Link.

I've patterned my CB installation after one I saw on another site and now realize that the guy must wheel in the desert, so, wheeling in Ontario, I would go with some kind of forest-friendly whip set-up if I could go back in time. Since I can't do that, I'm stuck with a great looking (if you didn't have to pay for it) FourTreks ring clamp / antenna mount that clamps onto the roof rack, and a 3' Wilson Flexi antenna. They call it a Flexi, but don't try to bend it to much beyond 1/2 its original height. Back to The Missing Link - Durham Radio and RadioWorld don't stock springs weak enough to allow my antenna to fold right over. Their weakest springs allow about 20 degrees of deflection...BUT the Flying J stocks one that lets me fold it all the way over :-)

So if any of you need such a thing, look for

Barjan's "Medium Duty" Antenna Spring #300-311 for antennas up to 36" ($10)

If I remember, I'll let you know how it copes with windy highway travel. I do have the stronger spring and will be testing SWR with the antenna-mount rotated almost 90 degrees. It might be okay that way from SWR and range perspectives for trail use.

Thanks again to HolidayNation for enabling me to finish what I started in August. :thumbup:
Rev

Post by Rev »

Glad you are having fun Dave!

I learned the same lesson with my 3' fiberglass. I picked up a 4' hybrid whip from Radioworld and I now get a SWR under 1. :)
Xtrapol8
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Xtrapol8 »

I did all the SWR stuff and went for a drive yesterday on Hwy 400. The spring is strong enough to keep the antenna upright. I thought there might be some people using CBs on that road, but it was very quiet - static, faint stuff, weather - certainly nothing worth repeating.