Ghetto RTT

Camping, trail gear, recovery, gps, and related accessories.
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Ghetto RTT

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

No idea how I found this, but for those that may possibly be intersted in this...lol

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/c ... o-rtt.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
medic
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Grand Cherokee
Year: 2014

Re: Ghetto RTT

Post by medic »

wish the army bought those instead of the MILCOTS (Silverados)

Rev
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Xterra SE
Tim's: Hot chocolate

Post by Rev »

That has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever seen.
CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Make/Model: Toyota Land Cruiser
Year: 7891
Tim's: 1/2 hot choc. 1/2 coffee

Post by CruiserRomey »

ya mean the roof top tent or the silverado?! lol

well, it's definitely a cheap altrenative, but looks like it does the job (he needs a good aluminum ladder on the other side i'm assuming, as opposed to clamering up the passenger door/seats). been thinkin about doin one for my 2 person tent but no need to stay ontop at the moment and a mcgyver job like that may just be too cumbersome to set up in the first place...might as well pitch on the ground...but a proper maggiolina or overcamp or safari would be proper tho!
Rev

Post by Rev »

The RTT. It looks like crap, it is cumbersome, and it is inconvenient. I think a guy who really wanted a tent on his roof because he thought it would be cool, but did not have the cash did this. I mean you have to set up the tent on the ground first. Why not just stake it in while it is on the ground and be done with it? :wtf?:
Snafu
Make/Model: Xterra S
Year: 2007
Tim's: Double milk - no sugar

Post by Snafu »

Why not just stake it in while it is on the ground and be done with it?
'cause the ground is unlevel , wet, full of beer caps, etc., perhaps?
Worlds Greatest Acronym:
A.D.O.S.S: Attention Deficit Oooooo Something Shiny! (thanks Simon!)

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.
steelcityslicker
Year: 2000
Tim's: Coffee is good.

Post by steelcityslicker »

Rev wrote;
The RTT. It looks like crap, it is cumbersome, and it is inconvenient. I think a guy who really wanted a tent on his roof because he thought it would be cool, but did not have the cash did this. I mean you have to set up the tent on the ground first. Why not just stake it in while it is on the ground and be done with it?
Sorry Rev, I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. I guess some people just want the functionality of a rtt and they don't care how it looks. Not sure what the functionality of a rtt really is unless you live in a place like Australia where you don't want some poisonous creepy crawly to bite you while you sleep or have dingos attack you, something like that. Cumbersome, aren't they all? This will at least provide a flat dry surface for sleeping.
Not everyone has 2 grand to spend on a tent. Good for this guy for doing it himself and at least trying. The mini-him looks pretty happy about the whole thing. :)
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter". - Hemingway
Spider 007
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Jeep YJ
Year: 1991
Tim's: Soup & a Sandwich!

Post by Spider 007 »

Snafu wrote:
Why not just stake it in while it is on the ground and be done with it?
'cause the ground is unlevel , wet, full of beer caps, etc., perhaps?
Could be that, but the first reason why RTT exists is to protect you from the wildlife. It's not an issue here in Canada as most of the wild animals we have will get to you almost as easily on the top of your truck as they would on the ground; but if you live in an area where scorpions, poisonous snakes or deadly spiders are dime a dozen, getting your tent off the ground is a must.

So in that context, this ghetto RTT will work just as well as the real deal... even though it looks like crap!
To lift, or not to lift? What a stupid question...
Snafu
Make/Model: Xterra S
Year: 2007
Tim's: Double milk - no sugar

Post by Snafu »

That's true Spider. The wildlife around the AW campfire can get pretty dangerous!

I really don't think it looks like crap. Sure it aint all polished up like store bought but hell it will do da job - REDNECK Style!!!

BTW I have slept in worse than this RTT
Worlds Greatest Acronym:
A.D.O.S.S: Attention Deficit Oooooo Something Shiny! (thanks Simon!)

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Well, RTT isn't necessarily about protecting from critters in the night, but it makes alot of sence where you typically see them being used.

First of all, they are super-easy and fast to setup, and it doesn't matter the conditions (you try not getting the inside of a tent not wet while setting it up in the rain). I can setup mine one-handed. This guys, well, he's not only got to go throught the motions of setting up a regular tent, he ALSO has to setup his platform and put the tent on top, which i'd be affraid of it not being secure, and sliding off...

Secondly, it gets you off the ground, which along with being away from animals and bugs, you get to be on a better, flat and more comfortable surface, and off the damp ground, especially if and when it rains.

RTT's also have the benefit of using a nice thick waterproof canvas, and a nice comphy mattress inside. I got mine and I love it.
petespath
Farmer
Farmer
Make/Model: Hyundai Elantra
Year: 2009
Tim's: Wish I had a Nissan

Post by petespath »

I like it.
Not sure how practicle it is, but I like it.

What you could do is get a realy big piece of wood and you could have a porch, and put some Muskoka chairs out. Or just build a house on top of your truck.
Rev

Post by Rev »

I still can't get behind it. I guess I'm not luving the redneck rigging. :thumbdown:
petespath
Farmer
Farmer
Make/Model: Hyundai Elantra
Year: 2009
Tim's: Wish I had a Nissan

Post by petespath »

You know your a redneck when...you have tent on your roof.
Probably puts the toilet not shown on the hood.
CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by CruiserRomey »

was it here that i saw an X with a tent cot rigged on top? that was cool too, but that thing weighs a tonne to have to haul it up...

alot of the ghetto fab rtt's are just that, a piece of wood, or a large enough roof rack and just pitching a tent on top. that board this guy uses looks like it's also holding a horizontal metal piece underneath (it would have to! to keep it from buckling).. so i'm thinking, he parks, folds over the board/or slides it out for the platform, holds it up with posts, and pitching the tent, and then hauling it up. i've picked up a pitched tent with the poles already in to clean out the dirt and shake it loose and it's no biggy, and that tent has 2 poles only looks like, so it's relatively easy, but still cumbersome. guess for him it's a-okay and i'm sure it was a fun little project.

no matter what, theres just that extra level of security (if done right) and comfort when you're above ground away from wet/muddy business, same reason why some sleep inside their rigs. now i'm tempted to do my ghetto version!

that's not redneck tho, redneck is sleepin on the roof with no tent, nothin, lol.
steelcityslicker
Year: 2000
Tim's: Coffee is good.

Post by steelcityslicker »

CruiserRomey wrote;
that's not redneck tho, redneck is sleepin on the roof with no tent, nothin, lol.
Nice :lol:
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter". - Hemingway
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

CruiserRomey wrote:was it here that i saw an X with a tent cot rigged on top? that was cool too, but that thing weighs a tonne to have to haul it up...
http://www.cntc.ca/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=785" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ;)

It's actually not bad at all...weights just under 100lbs. I could do it myself, if my arms were long enough, or risk damaging the truck, but it's easy just to get someone for a second set of hands to lift it off.
CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by CruiserRomey »

yep, that'd be it. yeah too much bulk and risk of damage would turn me off, unless like you said, you had an extra pair of hands, but in that case, since it's above ground with legs, i'd just keep i down...lol.
leeman
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Make/Model: Nissan Xterra OR
Year: 2005
Tim's: Medium Reg.

Post by leeman »

I didn't really notice the tent ...but that FJ looks friggin awesome. And I agree with Medic that we could use those FJ's instead of our crap-ass MILCOTS that get stuck on grass. :lol:
2005 Xterra Offroad - Cobra 19 CB radio/Goodyear Wrangler Territory 32"s/2.5" Calmini spacer lift/1.5" Calmini AAL/Pro Comp Extreme 7189s
CruiserRomey
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by CruiserRomey »

yeah +1 on the fj cruiser :thumbup: ...but what's funny is that he had the duckets to pay for an arb bumper, strip out pefectly good paint for the camo, safari snorkel, and it looks like it's got a lift. . . guess he ran out of funds for one of these...

http://www.man-a-fre.com/pa3/arbsimpson ... optent.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:cool:
leeman
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Make/Model: Nissan Xterra OR
Year: 2005
Tim's: Medium Reg.

Post by leeman »

Hahaha I didn't catch on to that..you'd think he could've afforded an actual RTT!
But yeah aside from the homemade RTT, that's one solid-looking FJ!
2005 Xterra Offroad - Cobra 19 CB radio/Goodyear Wrangler Territory 32"s/2.5" Calmini spacer lift/1.5" Calmini AAL/Pro Comp Extreme 7189s