Xtrapol8's CB

Camping, trail gear, recovery, gps, and related accessories.
Xtrapol8
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Xterra OR M6
Year: 2008
Tim's: Tea & Cookies

Xtrapol8's CB

Post by Xtrapol8 »

I've asked for advice about it and I've referred to it, but I've never posted any pics. So here they are. I'll try to find the other threads and link to this one so that nothing is left incomplete.

Most of the truck (still not 100% with posting photos :cry: )

Antenna - 3 ft WIlson Flexi; grounded using existing ground in D-pillar (Do they call it that?)

Bent Right Over - it took me a while to find this spring

Shrink Wrapped Spring (I'll do a better job of it in the Spring, but it does take 3 different widths installed shingle style.)

Ring Clamp - Wires go under foot of roof rack, back toward hatch, through rubber boot and into D-pillar, travelling to front, always behind plastic and as low as possible, mostly along the sill. Thanks to Rev for help with all wiring.

In Cabin - That's almost all of it! There's a small metal box screwed into metal panel behind plastic panel to left of left foot. From there comes an extension cable that travels under plasic and carpet so that the cable to the mike basically goes around the back side of the driver's seat - no entanglements that way. :-)

In Cabin - Close-up It should be mounted that low so that you're not always hitting the panel above when you pick it up.Image

As I have said before, if I had it to do over again I'd probably go for the Rev-ular 4' hybrid whip antenna , but I'll ride this until it doesn't go any more.
Last edited by Xtrapol8 on Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PiDGE
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Nissan Frontier KC
Year: 2005
Tim's: not my real name

Re: Xtrapol8's CB

Post by PiDGE »

nice job, hows the range on it? I'll be the market for a new, better one later this year.
Early to bed...Early to rise...Fish all day...Make up lies
Xtrapol8
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Xtrapol8 »

I may have to interrupt someone's conversation to find out. I finally got it all hooked up as you see after what turned out to be the last time I wheeled and I haven't been around one of us since. I did use the CB at Camp NL, but it was with a short magnet mount whip antenna I borrowed from a friend.

I live in Uxbridge and work in Newmarket. I can pick up weather on channels 2,3, and 8 - so that includes the Kawartha area. The rest would just be speculation. I have heard some weird stuff and wondered about how far away it was coming from; then again, often there is not much chatter going on and I wonder if I screwed up the installation.

I forgot to take a pic of it, but the ring can be adjusted to tilt the antenna over the roof, but at about 20 degrees between the roof and the antenna I start to get pretty high SWR values, aside from that, they are all between 1 and 1.5. So in thick forest, I'd probably rotate the ring. I doubt I'll have range issues there.

Bottom line - I need to go to a coffee meet. Maybe I'll propose a north- or east- friendly one.
Last edited by Xtrapol8 on Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
HolidayNation
Make/Model: Xterra XE stick
Year: 2004
Tim's: 60oz BEER please

Post by HolidayNation »

Looks good my man. Next time you are up this way let me know and maybe we can do a radio check lol. As for the odd noises, it is quite possible and quite frequent when the weather is right to be pickinig up some freaky skip from down in the southern states....nice clean install, didn't realize your rig was a stick...
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREYs WITHOUT BATS]- :)
Where's Slawek?........... Crunch?
Aerosols may be depleting the ozone, but warning labels are depleting the gene pool
OF4WD-5557
Rev
Make/Model: Xterra SE
Tim's: Hot chocolate

Post by Rev »

Looks good brotha. Nice and clean install. Your installer deserves a big tip. ;)

I haven't really been by Stouffville much since Sammy was born, but next time I do I will let you know and we can do a test.

A coffee meet would be great. Milton is just too far for us to bring Sammy. I can make it out on my own once in a while, but not as often as I'd like.
Xtrapol8
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Xtrapol8 »

Test Results:

The Minden Hydroline (June 5, 2010) was a pretty good test.

On the way up, Rev and I could chat over about 1km, but I will check grounds and re-check SWR to ensure that that's really the best I can do; it seems short.

On the trail - never any problems.

On the trail - antenna fully erect, good beatings, didn't even consider turning it to angle it over the roof.