Inner CV boots

Having problems with your Nissan truck? Search & post here!
Scotto
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2006
Tim's: L Reg

Inner CV boots

Post by Scotto »

Yet again my inner CV boots are shot. Not by a lot, but enough. A tear on each one, about an inch. And it has to do with the weather we get in the winter here.

I know it happens with a lifted Xterra, what with the front end being what it is. But I have a few odds and ends Qs:

1) Is there something other than the diff lowering kit, which I already have, to help. I'm thinking lubing the outside of the CV boots. But where I live, this ain't going to work too long. We get a weird combination of mucous with cow manure and rocks tossed on the road in the winter, and it seems to wreak havoc. Maybe there's a stronger boot, or a better way to attach it?

But it seems to me that the boot is grinding against itself, hence the excessive wear.

2) I haven't gone thru my haynes, but me suspects replacing it myself (on both sides) is a PITA. Or am I mistaken? How difficult a procedure is it to get in there and replace a part that costs about $40?

That's all. I'm a teacher, who don't get paid a lot, and these little BS wear and tear things sometimes kill me.

Thanks for input.

Scott
Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Re: Inner CV boots

Post by Simon »

I can't think of anything that'll make the boots last longer, but I am surprised that you're going through inner boots often. I've never had one go, on either of my lifted trucks. I've had a few outers go.

The replacement isn't too bad, remove the whole shaft, remove the clamps on the boot, and slide it towards the inner joint. There's a C-clip inside the outer part of the joint that holds the inner part in. Remove it, slide the outer portion of the joint off, then you should find a clip that holds the inner part of the joint on. Remove that, slide the inner portion of the joint and the old boot off the end of the shaft. Slide the new boot on the shaft, clean and inspect both parts of the inner joint, grease, reassemble, and reinstall. Sounds like a lot, but shouldn't take you more than 3-4 hours total.
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
Scotto
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2006
Tim's: L Reg

Post by Scotto »

Thanks Simon.

PITA. I'm losing both every year. Me thinks it's living where the roads are (weather-wise) crap, and I use them to get to work. They wear out.

Ah, well, June will be here soon, and that means Mr. Heep can take me to work with the doors off and the top gone, and I'll tear the front of the X apart...
fleurys
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Pathfinder SE
Year: 2001
Tim's: Tim Who ?? hahaha

Post by fleurys »

I,m gonna let you in on a little secret I was about to share soon.... You're boots are the same EMPI replacement part as a Nissan pathfinder 87-89..now , a superior boot material is a thermoplastic boot. It supports higher and lower temperature and will resist alot more to tearing and degradation. Now after many research, only one company makes a thermoplastic boot for nissan truck....but their catalog does not include R50 pathfinder in my years (2001) or any xterra....BUT... they do make the inner and outer for the nissan pathfinder 87-89 ..... see where I'm going to..... The company is rockfordcv.com

I have already ordered and received mine and my spare cvs(read broken boots ones) are already dismantled and ready to be fitted with these.... The boots are way beefier and stiffer than the regular neoprene ones... I will be installing them within a couple days and will post all the details of my findings.... there is an option now for us.....

If you want them, call Lowell Ingram at rockfordcv and ask for the pathfinder 87-89 inner and outer boots.
One Life...So many trails !
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

I heard if you rub vaseline on them every once and a while they will last longer?

I think I might get some of those super doooper boots too.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
Jayman
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Year: 2002
Tim's: Double Double

Post by Jayman »

I think it's a catch 22 on lubing the outside of them actually. Are you lubing them up, so that they don't wear down, or are you making them sticky, attracting more shiznits to get stuck to it and wear them down prematurely...

:shrug:

I like the re-inforced ones that Fleurys found, may have to go with them if I ever have this problem (been good so far!)...
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
Sgt_B
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Make/Model: Nissan Xterra SE
Year: 2003
Tim's: Grande Bold

Post by Sgt_B »

Neoprene works great for seat covers, but I've found the same thing: torn CV boots almost every spring (and unlike you, Scotto, I don't drive through too many manure lagoons). I started replacing my whole half-shafts a number years ago with the NAPA signature series; same with my upper BJ's (Hardbody ones fit the Calmini lift perfectly). Lifetime warranty means free replacements when they're shot. Pop the CV's off in the spring, take 'em to NAPA for free replacements, and pop on the new ones. It's a lot easier than tearing down the half-shafts to replace a piece of neoprene.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who do not...
'03 Silver X SE, 3SL+2BL, ARB F-Bumper+MM9.5k Winch, BB R-Bumper, Air-dam lights, 32" Procomp MT's, and a retro SOXC sticker on the rear window.
nige
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: D22 XE 4x4
Year: 2004
Tim's: LG 2C1S

Post by nige »

hi scotto, i just had an inner boot crack on me this spring too. It's the first time I've had one break and the first time I have replaced one. It took me about 3 hours to do one side, but now that I know what you do and don't have to move, it will be much quicker next time. I managed to replace the CV before any dirt got into the original, so I will clean it up, put a new boot on it and keep it for a spare. It was pretty easy, but time consuming. the ball joint came apart easy and all the bolts on the diff were easy to remove with a breaker bar and 2 or 3 extensions. You have manual hubs so you can easliy lock the opposite tire to hold the CV still while you loose/tighten the bolts. If you can't fit the socket in there, unlock the opposite tire, spin the CV joint until a bolt is easy to get at, lock it and loosen the bolt. I took the caliper off but some people say you don't have to. whatever... it's 2 bolts. I also took off my tie rod end so the hub and and knuckle were held on only by the lower ball joint. That gave me plenty of room to work around in there. Since you also have to remove it; It's also a good time to clean out your shock. I had all sorts of salty crud stuck in the boot, so I cut a couple new drain holes in it.

The hardest part was wrestling the old joint out and getting the knuckle to stay still while you raise and lower the lower control arm. I think it would be somewhat easier with another friend to lock the hubs and hold the knuckle

As for extra protection, i would try a better boot like fleurys, or see if you can fit some oversize boots in there. You could also make up some neoprene boot guards that zip on and off so you can wash them. I don't think they are too sophisticated of an item for someone to stitch up themselves. They are popular with ATV and sidebyside guys who go through swamps and thorn bushes. Just how high is the front end lifted?
OF4WD Member #5472
Sgt_B
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Make/Model: Nissan Xterra SE
Year: 2003
Tim's: Grande Bold

Post by Sgt_B »

nige wrote:hi scotto, ... You could also make up some neoprene boot guards that zip on and off so you can wash them. I don't think they are too sophisticated of an item for someone to stitch up themselves. They are popular with ATV and sidebyside guys who go through swamps and thorn bushes..
Nice plan! :thumbup: I may have to look into that...
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who do not...
'03 Silver X SE, 3SL+2BL, ARB F-Bumper+MM9.5k Winch, BB R-Bumper, Air-dam lights, 32" Procomp MT's, and a retro SOXC sticker on the rear window.
AlexJet
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Make/Model: Toyota 4Runner
Year: 2005
Tim's: French Vanila Capuchino

Post by AlexJet »

CV boots is common issue on many trucks. I replaced mine last summer and rebuild passenger side last weekend (just before Rev came with his shackle hangars.

I agree with you not to pay $300 for labour and $80 for parts. I've done mine in a few hours on the driveway. You spend more time taking parts out and then putting them back in then actual CV disassembling and repairing.

I have to see how they made on Xterra, but I don't think its a tough job.
2005 4Runner V6 Limited
5" lift, 35", ARB locker, ARB & CBI bumpers, Snorkel ...
2001 4Runner V6 Limited
3.5" lift, 33", ARB & CBI bumpers, Snorkel,...
2009 AE Expedition Trailer
35",...
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 2
Make/Model: Jeep JKUR
Year: 2013
Tim's: Med 2 milks 1 sugar

Post by the x kid »

fleurys wrote:I,m gonna let you in on a little secret I was about to share soon.... You're boots are the same EMPI replacement part as a Nissan pathfinder 87-89..now , a superior boot material is a thermoplastic boot. It supports higher and lower temperature and will resist alot more to tearing and degradation. Now after many research, only one company makes a thermoplastic boot for nissan truck....but their catalog does not include R50 pathfinder in my years (2001) or any xterra....BUT... they do make the inner and outer for the nissan pathfinder 87-89 ..... see where I'm going to..... The company is rockfordcv.com

I have already ordered and received mine and my spare cvs(read broken boots ones) are already dismantled and ready to be fitted with these.... The boots are way beefier and stiffer than the regular neoprene ones... I will be installing them within a couple days and will post all the details of my findings.... there is an option now for us.....

If you want them, call Lowell Ingram at rockfordcv and ask for the pathfinder 87-89 inner and outer boots.
Anybody try these? Just found out I have a tear on one of my boots.passenger side.grr..otherwise, :fist:
01R50
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Jimmy

Post by 01R50 »

Cool, I didn't know that it was a secret about the thermoplastic boots. I have been telling everyone about them :confuse:

I have a set I had picked up for the R50 but never got around to installing them. They are sitting in a box in storage. Might install them on the HB one day, or they might just collect more dust lol

They are much better than the PVC style stock boots and while they are not bullet-proof, they will last a lot longer and take much more abuse.
My 1988 Nissan Hardbody: http://www.cdn-ntc.ca/phpBB3/viewtopic. ... 45&p=63250
2001 Pathfinder SE - RIP
rmarles
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Make/Model: Nissan Pathfinder
Tim's: Regular

Post by rmarles »

01R50 wrote:Cool, I didn't know that it was a secret about the thermoplastic boots. I have been telling everyone about them :confuse:

I have a set I had picked up for the R50 but never got around to installing them. They are sitting in a box in storage. Might install them on the HB one day, or they might just collect more dust lol

They are much better than the PVC style stock boots and while they are not bullet-proof, they will last a lot longer and take much more abuse.
I also picked up a pair of santoprene boots and new joints to put them on, just never got around to it. You can definately tell the difference between the boots though. I obviously can't vouch for the long term durability, but you can definate see/feel the difference in terms of rubber vs these things.
There's a Simpson's quote for that.
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by the x kid »

rmarles wrote:
01R50 wrote:Cool, I didn't know that it was a secret about the thermoplastic boots. I have been telling everyone about them :confuse:

I also picked up a pair of santoprene boots and new joints to put them on, just never got around to it. You can definately tell the difference between the boots though. I obviously can't vouch for the long term durability, but you can definate see/feel the difference in terms of rubber vs these things.
Did you get then at rockfordcv?
rmarles
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Make/Model: Nissan Pathfinder
Tim's: Regular

Post by rmarles »

the x kid wrote:Did you get then at rockfordcv?
Yes; I dealt with Stan Kardell though, not whoever was mentioned previously. I don't know what cross border shipping is like as I only paid domestic - I was having some packages shipped to Port Huron and included these in the mix as well.
There's a Simpson's quote for that.
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by the x kid »

Thanks man.Just called them. 2O ish bucks,not bad.
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by the x kid »

They did not know, if they do fit on a xterra.He was talking about the size and shape of the bellows and shafts,especially lifted.[Different angles] Anybody have a way to find out the size of OEM Boots length and boot opening size to compare,could help to make sure.
fleurys
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by fleurys »

do like I did to find out the pathfinder boot from an 87 was the same for a 96-04.... look at the part numbers for the boot from the empi boot catalog... they usually sell the boots for the pathfinders and possibly for the xterra.... if the part number is the same, you're set...

I will try to find the links for you..
Last edited by fleurys on Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by the x kid »

Thanks Mr. Fleury.
fleurys
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by fleurys »

EDIT: page here : http://www.empius.com/bootcatalog/2011/boots_pg79.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for nissan page

here for total catalog : http://www.empius.com/bootcatalog/PDFs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... atalog.pdf

according to empi, the inner boot is the same as the pathfinder 96-04, then the outer is different, but you see that the part number for it (86-2340 *for the xterra 2003) is shared with a few other nissan (murano, armada, etc..)but also other manufacturer (169 different car/truck to be exact).

Looking at the rockford catalog, the first one that I could cross reference is the outer boot for the Chrylser Lebaron 91-93. You will see the empi part number is the same as your 03 xterra....

Now only one issue remains... there seems to be many models of outer boots for the lebaron depending on a few attributes (engine, convertible , etc..)... On page 150 of the empi catalog, you see the part 86-2340... by using this graphic, and reading that empi part number is for the lebaron convertible and saginaw, I have determined that you are left with either type 11 or 12 of rockford boot. Last thing here is to compare the graphic of the empi boot and the one from rockford... The empi shows 5 belows and the rockford type 11 shows 4 belows. (compared to the 3 belows of the type 12).... So I would go with the type 11 rockford part number : 440-21a

there you go... the whole shebang...