Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 2
Make/Model: Jeep JKUR
Year: 2013
Tim's: Med 2 milks 1 sugar

Monster truck wanabe

Post by the x kid »

Ok folks,saw all the monster trucks at AW and 'I want it'.Can you show me what I need.I have a PML now,so can I just add a leaf in the back to get another 1 1/5" with longer shocks? In the front the upper control arms I know I would need,anything else or does it come as a package for the front end? Would like to run 32" tires cause 33's would need a body lift,right?Trying to prep for next year.Thanks.
Jayman
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Year: 2002
Tim's: Double Double

Re: Monster truck wanabe

Post by Jayman »

Well, you really only have 1 option for getting the needed lift for the front. you need aftermarket upper control arms. You can either get upper controls arms from AC, or Calmini, as these are the only 2 companies supplying them for our vehicles. I won't get into which one is better then the other, there is enough info on the board about the difference, drawbacks etc, so you can do some reading about them on the various Xterra forums and draw your own conclusions. ;)

As for the rear, you can either go with an AAL, or get longer shackles to get the height you need. Again, both have their pros and cons, so it depends on what you want to do.

As for fitting 33's, yes the easiest route to fit 33's is to do a BL, BUT it is not necessarily necessary. Scotto for instance, is running 33's on backspaced rims (wider stance then stock), with no BL. What is needed to do that is some metal cutting, and some massaging with a BIG F***ING Hammer to make space for them. This is of course, assuming that you want to run 33x12.5's. You can run 33x10.5's with little to no issues, so again, more decisions for you to make. 32's may still rub, even with a 3" lift. Lots of variables. The good thing is that it normally rubs on the plastic bits, which are easily clearanced by cutting, or just allowing the tire to clear itself.

If you want something out of the box, then you can get one of the lift kits from AC or Calmini, which will give you basically everything you need for a 3" lift (arms, springs, t-bars, shocks, assoc. hardware etc), but most of the time, you are compromising on something.

You then can get the BL kit (or source out your own which is harder, but cheaper), and you've made space for 33's.

The first thing that I would do, is spend some time reading about what is out there for lift kits, and then decide which components you want.

Happy reading!
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
Nismojunky
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Nissan Titan
Year: 2006
Tim's: Double cream

Post by Nismojunky »

somebody got bitten by the bug
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by the x kid »

I'm back,terrible football game.Ok I'm looking and readin.I have the AC shackles for the rear,also a IAB up front and noticing these things are already in some packages.
Scotto
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Tim's: L Reg

Post by Scotto »

And, for what it's worth, you're going to have to start thinking about the steering. At the very least, get the AC tie-rod arms. This will stop your tie-rods from bending in half (go look at the stock ones, and imagine it pushing a 33" tire back and forth). But this still hasn't corrected the problem of the centre-link. At some point, you're going to run into problems with the stock set-up. Grassroots would be the way to go to get this important component upgraded.
Jayman

Post by Jayman »

And you should also probably think about armour. Skid plates protect those things that are not seen, but are most valuable.

I'm not sure how many people actually DO IT, but the common consensus is that you should get armour FIRST, and then do all the lifting.

As many have said, with armour, anything you can't ride over, you glide over. :teeth:
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by the x kid »

Thanks,I get the armour thing,just trying to understand what I would need for a lift and the consequences,like tha tie rod ends and steering[thanx Geoffry,these are the tips I need] to plan.I don't know all the term's yet but I'm studying.If anyone want's to explain as you post,that would be awsome.Thank's for the replies so far.
Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Post by Simon »

A true suspension lift isn't far off from what you have. It's a couple more leafs in the back end, and decent upper control arms that will allow you to get the front end into spec while aligning, after cranking the torsion bars further. The Centerlink from Grassroots4x4.com takes out the axial play in the steering, which is also a contributor to bent tie rod adjusters, especially when running 33" tires.

It's not so much the lifts that cause premature wear on the steering components, but moreso the bigger tires that create more leverage on an already weak design. You can lift and run stock size tires for a while, and probably not have to replace steering components for a little while.

Ask Morpheus how long his stock steering lasted after the 33's. Midway through AW, his centerlink was shot, and he had bent a tie rod adjuster.
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by the x kid »

Okay Simon,UCA is good,and do you mean I can crank the torsion bars further?Would I need new torsion bars?Change bump stops to lower profile?I'm down for a better centre link,and the tie rods.What about longer shocks in the rear?needed?Better ride?[softer or firmer]
Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Post by Simon »

Longer shocks are a good idea, though, not absolutely necessary. Stay away from the RS9000 series from Rancho. They tend to wear our prematurely. the 5000 series (basic shocks) or Bilsteins are the way to go.

You don't "need" to change out the torsion bars, just crank them. That's the only way to achieve lift on our rigs, regardless of what parts you throw into the front end, other than a SAS. The UCA's just allow for proper ball joint angle, and alignability. Don't crank the t-bars too high before getting new UCA's or your upper ball joints will be a mess.
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

Just as a point: Morpheus' stock steering lasted him a lot longer than mine. I got - I'd guess about 60' - onto my very first trail in the X when the entire crew had to sit down and mend the problem. One hour later, and two grade 8 bolts welded to the tie rod, I was good to go. (Thank you Simon, Bender, John, Gino, et al. for your patience that day.)

Morpheus got about 3 kms out of his stock steering. But this time there were enough experiences with the steering that everyone on the trail had tie rod stuff. It was a bit of a joke, that we all that one part sitting and ready to go.

I have another query about tie rods and the similarity between the X and a Pathy - but that is in another thread...
Morpheus
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2003
Tim's: 3x3

Post by Morpheus »

My stock steering lasted longer than 3km! Lol, I did BobC, then shoe lake, and it was only when I got rammy back on bobC that I pretzled it.

That being said, it's still a very weak part of the truck and needs to be addressed.
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by the x kid »

Ok,I just put in new 'moog' upper and lower ball joints in May.Can I reuse those?Also I don't think AC sells the UCA by themselves.
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

Yes to the lower, as nothing changes there. I do believe the upper might be different, since you are changing the UCA - it's the bolt-on ball-joint that is the same as a '96 and up D21 hardbody pickup.

As to Mike's response to the 3km or so: I'm amazed you got that much life out of it! Well done :thumbup: !!! (But what's the centre link look like :shock: )
Jayman

Post by Jayman »

the x kid wrote:Ok,I just put in new 'moog' upper and lower ball joints in May.Can I reuse those?Also I don't think AC sells the UCA by themselves.
AC does sell the UCA's by themselves, so there is no need to buy the entire kit unless you want to. I bought the kit when I did my lift, mostly because I needed new shocks, and wanted stiffer T-bars for my front bumper.

UCA's, with ball joints: https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/xterra- ... -p-79.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you end up getting these, you can reuse your stock shocks. However, to match the lift in the front, you will need longer shocks in the back to allow for the extra articulation.
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by the x kid »

Fabulous Jayman,I appreciate this from all.Ok lets recap, Front UCA[$500],Centre Link[$300],add a leaf or two[$300]guessing pricing to my door,except the leaf springs I could get done here.[is that a probable price range]. If those are the basics,then compliments would be new shocks all around and AC tie rods.anything else.
Jayman

Post by Jayman »

For reference, Calmini also sells their arms seperately:

http://purenissan.com/wd22_control_arms.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for complimenting items, you'd have pretty much everything you need lift wise. There's tons of other stuff you can get, but UCA's and rear springs will essentially get you the 3"s you're looking for.

:teeth:
Bow_Tied
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Post by Bow_Tied »

Hey Gary, When you told the Mrs. you were spending money to get an extra 3" did you tell her it was for the truck? :lol:
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by the x kid »

Bow_Tied wrote:Hey Gary, When you told the Mrs. you were spending money to get an extra 3" did you tell her it was for the truck? :lol:
As always,it's a surprise.haha
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by the x kid »

Jayman wrote:For reference, Calmini also sells their arms seperately:

http://purenissan.com/wd22_control_arms.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for complimenting items, you'd have pretty much everything you need lift wise. There's tons of other stuff you can get, but UCA's and rear springs will essentially get you the 3"s you're looking for.

:teeth:
Same price really,what about quality and instillation.Same?