emissions test on my old buggy

General Chat about the forum, it's members & their trucks.
Scotto
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2006
Tim's: L Reg

emissions test on my old buggy

Post by Scotto »

I thought I'd share this story, as I try to renew the sticker on the Jeep.

The Jeep is a 1989 YJ, equipped with a Chevy 350, 5.7L V8. The tranny is a TH350, automatic 3 -speed. Since it's a 1989, the Jeep requires an emissions test to get the sticker. On January 1st, 2009, less than 6 months away, the test will not be required anymore for that vehicle, as it will have met that magical 20 years of living and will be deemed deserving of a break.

This isn't a rant. My Jeep is a recreational vehicle only. It gets driven infrequently, and I will get a sticker stuck to it, but if you're feeling all green this morning and want to hug a tree, please don't come ranting at me...

It starts here: Two years ago I put the old girl thru emissions - it needed a clean pass (as opposed to conditional) for the plate to get on the vehicle due to the ownership change. It took me three weeks of fiddling with vacuum hoses and different types of additives to get a true pass. But we got it. My hat goes off to an old-timer named John for patiently working on a quad carb...

At the time, the Jeep had a somewhat rough Chevy 350 in it, with quite a knock. It was more than bad. She smoked a bit on starting. At times badly. There was a fear she would stall at traffic lights. But - we got it to pass.

Since then, I have outfitted the Jeep with a rebuilt 350. I have spent the past year and a half working to make that engine run very, very nicely. Vacuum hoses have been pulled, air mix has been adjusted god knows how many times, oil re-breathers have been removed and allowed to vent freely. She has new seals all around, a nice big air-filter, clean oil, a cooling system that works, and is genereally babied. She does not smoke - ever. She doesn't stall, sputter, puke oil, or do anything that makes you think the engine needs repair. When she idles it's a thing of glory. She has that little shake, and the slight off-canter sound thing going that just makes you smile.

But I did change things so it would run very well, as opposed to how it runs with all those hoses and thing-a-ma-jigs that just make it hard to see the (very shiny) chrome valve covers.

Here's the sniff-test result from yesterday afternoon:

I'm surprised the machine didn't blow up :roll: . It's that curb HC reading that gets me :shock: . That is a big number, and I really was surprised to learn that the machine was capable of reading 10X over the limit :wtf?: . The gas cap, incidentally, passed its pressure test; none of the other systems on that side of the form apply to the 350.

I'm not going to spend three weeks fiddling with vacuum hoses this time - tree huggers can back off here - ll pay the $450 and carry on (hopefully). I'll let you know :thumbup:

Scott
Jayman
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Year: 2002
Tim's: Double Double

Re: emissions test on my old buggy

Post by Jayman »

Stupid cash grab...

It would almost be better to just wait out the 6 months, THEN go and renew your sticker.

No change in ownership or anything, so you wouldn't have to re-safety it.

You'd just be a little "late" in getting your sticker...
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

I would - and could, except that Jennifer really, really, really wants to use the Heep as the get-away vehicle at the wedding.

Yeah - you gotta love a girl that requests a Jeep with 33"s TSL Super Swampers at the wedding. She's cool.

Scott
X-Treme
Make/Model: Xterra - Offroad
Year: 2005

Post by X-Treme »

*Tree hugger dungarees on*

"You mean you get to pay $450 to buy your way out of that disastrous emissions test? What's the point if you can go on polluting the environment for a measly bribe of $450 bucks?"

*Tree hugger dungarees off*

*CNTC wheeling hat on*

"Dude, sorry to hear about the failed emissions test! Really sorry to hear it's gonna cost $450 bucks to get'er back on the road. Oh well, small price to pay. Catch you on the trails dude!"

*CNTC wheeling hat off*

SH!T, I wasn't suppose to mention the hats yet! :shock:
Watch it! I'm keeping my eye on you.
X-Treme

Post by X-Treme »

Oh man, I LOVE HER! Can I marry her instead, is it too late? :blush:
Snafu
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Xterra S
Year: 2007
Tim's: Double milk - no sugar

Post by Snafu »

From what little I know (and the mechs hear can pipe in), it looks like the idle circuit is running too rich and/or it is not firing completely. Check your rotor cap, wires and plugs (gap too) to see if they're okay. Maybe even tighten the gap a little to be it fires at idle (can always adjust it back after the test).

Was the idle richness on the carb adjusted when tuning it up? I would try to lean out the idle circuit. Best way would be to use probes (O2 sensors) in the pipes and watch the levels as you make adjustments.

Too bad you can't borrow some cats to clean up the exhaust :D

Just trying to help.
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

Thanks Ron -

That's exactly what's going on. But the numbers are still off the chart. I have to lean it off, and probably pull the timing back, and tighten the plug gap, and then it put it all back afterwards so it runs properly... I don't have any probes...

Scott
Jayman

Post by Jayman »

Scotto wrote:
I don't have any probes...
Does Jennifer know that? Might be something she'd like to know about before she marries you!

Lol, sorry I couldn't resist... :rotfl:

I wonder how much work it would actually take to get it running lean enough to pass...

Ever tried one of those *guaranteed to pass* magic bottles from CT? I've heard a few good things about them.

Of course, if I'm not mistaken, the main ingredient is Toluene, which essentially will disolve any rubber (ie. seals) in the engine, so that might not be a good idea either...
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

Haha haha. Very funny. I'm not going to respond any further than that on your lurid, rather inappropriate comments.

Yeah - that CT stuff eats seals...

Scott
Jayman

Post by Jayman »

Scotto wrote:Haha haha. Very funny. I'm not going to respond any further than that on your lurid, rather inappropriate comments.
Hehehe, sorry again, I couldn't resist! :blush:
Morpheus
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2003
Tim's: 3x3

Post by Morpheus »

Word of advice... be careful. With a 350 swap the vehicle is "technically" supposed to be e-tested as a "modified" vehicle.

the vehicle would be tested using the specs on the engine. ie: 1969 block would have to pass '69 standards, not 89.

downside, there is no 20 year limit, it gets tested forever...
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676
X-Treme

Post by X-Treme »

Morpheus wrote:Word of advice... be careful. With a 350 swap the vehicle is "technically" supposed to be e-tested as a "modified" vehicle.

the vehicle would be tested using the specs on the engine. ie: 1969 block would have to pass '69 standards, not 89.

downside, there is no 20 year limit, it gets tested forever...
DOH!

Hurry, delete that last post before someone sees it and makes Scott test that truck forever!

Wait, were the 1969 standards more lax? If so, sir, here is your PASSED emissions test certificate...see you again in three years. :lol:

Scott, dude, you missed my spelling mistake. I spelled 'lax,' 'lacks' because I'm too lazy to use a dictionary/thesaurus today. :zzz:
Jayman

Post by Jayman »

I believe that would be:

lax (lks)
adj. lax•er, lax•est
1. Lacking in rigor, strictness, or firmness. See Synonyms at negligent.
2. Not taut, firm, or compact; slack. See Synonyms at loose.
3. Loose and not easily retained or controlled. Used of bowel movements.
4. Linguistics Pronounced with the muscles of the tongue and jaw relatively relaxed, as the vowel () in let.

:fawkdance:
X-Treme

Post by X-Treme »

Thanks Jayman.

I'll correct my post and Scott will never know it happened. Damn teachers, always checking everybody's spelling. :irked:
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

Thanks Mike - I have the truck tested under "Hotrod." Or modified... last time it was under Hotrod, which i thought was cool.

The place I took it to was a bit aghast by the whole thing. First the engine, then the lift... Then the big tires. The lack of doors inspried them... On Friday it goes to a guy who knows carbs and modded vehicles.

If it has to get tested forever I'll be real bummed.

Either way, we'll git er dun,

Scott
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

Here's the old girl.

This pic was taken today with my (well, Jennifer's and mine) new digital camera!

Scott
Last edited by Scotto on Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
X-Treme

Post by X-Treme »

Hey Scott, are we ever going to see it on a trail run with us or are we not worthy? :lol:

We've seen what you can do with an Xterra! :teeth:
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

Gino: I sure hope I kin git her out!!!

Need a bar to flat tow it behind the X. With the X all I seem capable of is breaking it. :cry:

Are you worthy? My goodness... :worthy: you are.

Scott
Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Post by Simon »

Bah....get that steering fixed up on the X and she'll be fine. Remember, you're working with a truck that'd been wheeled pretty hard for a few years. Not just your breaks you're fixing. :thumbup:
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
X-Treme

Post by X-Treme »

Scotto wrote:Gino: I sure hope I kin git her out!!!

Need a bar to flat tow it behind the X. With the X all I seem capable of is breaking it. :cry:

Are you worthy? My goodness... :worthy: you are.

Scott
Why thank you sir.

By the way, I know a guy that fabricates metal. If I could only remember his name. :P