Winter Recovery Tips, Tricks and Suggestions?

Camping, trail gear, recovery, gps, and related accessories.
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Winter Recovery Tips, Tricks and Suggestions?

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Just wonder, with winter just around the corner, or those in select areas of Ontario where winter have already burried them in deep, it's the time of year that anyone can get stuck and/or in the ditch. I was thinking it would be a good idea to know what to do, and just as important, not to do when helping and recovering people who have gotten themselves stuck. Since this is my first winter with a winch, and I'm sure there are a few out there with little winching experience, some education would be a good idea. I know there are many here who have some significant experience with this.

I know a few questions come to mind, like where to attach to on a car or something that doesn't have recovery points, or even, how do you make sure you're truck doesn't get pulled in too?
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
Morpheus
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2003
Tim's: 3x3

Re: Winter Recovery Tips, Tricks and Suggestions?

Post by Morpheus »

Most important thing... let the owner of the car attach the cable to their own car, that way you can't be blamed for damaging the vehicle if something happens.
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676
PiDGE
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Nissan Frontier KC
Year: 2005
Tim's: not my real name

Post by PiDGE »

^^^good point^^^ dont let this happen...ha http://youtu.be/Tw_vcM7bynA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Early to bed...Early to rise...Fish all day...Make up lies
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

I pulled a jetta out of the ditch and wrapped it around the control arm and didn't damage anything.

I always tell people that it is not my fault if something gets damaged.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
Ozzker
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Pathfinder[s]
Year: 1980's
Tim's: Large Hot Chocolate

Post by Ozzker »

adamzan wrote:I pulled a jetta out of the ditch and wrapped it around the control arm and didn't damage anything.

I always tell people that it is not my fault if something gets damaged.
All VWs have tow hook mounts front and rear, and the actual tow hook in the trunk, It just screws into either mount. Infact, most cars have this. Have the owner of the car refer to their owners manual for a correct recovery point. Make sure they know that you are doing this as a favor and are not liable for anything. Try to stay out of traffic, off ice, and try to use a longer strap, 25/ 30 ft. Go slowly at first, in 4WD, trying to slowly pull them out to minimize damages, if the car is really stuck, make sure the owner knows you intend to yank it.

I pulled out a few last year, even a Sunfire which was in really good, and I was only on all seasons. Just be smart about it, use logic and common sense, and don;t put yourself or others in danger because of your actions.

Safe driving to all!
1990 Nissan Pathfinder SE-V6, 2 Door, MPFI 5spd 4x4, Black -- Project

1988 Nissan Pathfinder SE-V6, 2 Door Auto 4x4, Blue -- Project #2

1989 Nissan Pathfinder SE-V6, 2 Door, 5spd 4x4, Blue -- Parts

2010 VW Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 2.0T 6spd, White -- DD
Morpheus

Post by Morpheus »

2nd, if the vehicle looks like it's in bad shape, ie: it might roll over or something, don't touch it, let the tow truck do it. they've got insurance to cover mistakes, you don't.

Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Post by Simon »

Good points above. Especially about having the owner of the vehicle hook themselves up. In terms of winching, with synthetic line, it's probably the safest, most controlled way to recover a vehicle. Still, you'll want any bystanders far enough away that if something snaps or lets go, no one is hurt.
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
Snafu
Make/Model: Xterra S
Year: 2007
Tim's: Double milk - no sugar

Post by Snafu »

Carry a shovel too. Usually the cars in the ditch have snow impacted under them.

I have an old snowmobile track cut in half. Adds great tracking...I have used it to drive out of a ditch.

One last thing is to make sure it is safe for you to pull the car out. If the traffic is heavy or there is no clear line of sight for other drives (warning flares help) leave it for a tow truck.
Worlds Greatest Acronym:
A.D.O.S.S: Attention Deficit Oooooo Something Shiny! (thanks Simon!)

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Also it is apparently illegal to pull people out anyway. A local npora member told me he got stopped by the cops when he was helping someone out of a ditch last winter. They asked to see his tow truck or recovery permit or something. He didn't have one. Either the cop was just being a jerk or you really have to be registered to do it.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
Snafu

Post by Snafu »

Maybe tow trucks are suppose to call the police when a car leaves the road...just in case the person was drinking (or the cops want to lay other charges).

Being a good Samaritan can mean you just get screwed.
Worlds Greatest Acronym:

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.
Ozzker
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Pathfinder[s]
Year: 1980's
Tim's: Large Hot Chocolate

Post by Ozzker »

To clear confusion, it IS illegal. But being a good Samaritan never hurts regardless. I never asked for money or anything from anyone I helped, I just knew I would appreciate it if someone stopped for me if I was ever in that position, so I do my best to help others. :)

Most cops won't bug you for being nice, but if your going around looking for people in ditches to make yourself a quick buck, watch out!!
1990 Nissan Pathfinder SE-V6, 2 Door, MPFI 5spd 4x4, Black -- Project

1988 Nissan Pathfinder SE-V6, 2 Door Auto 4x4, Blue -- Project #2

1989 Nissan Pathfinder SE-V6, 2 Door, 5spd 4x4, Blue -- Parts

2010 VW Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 2.0T 6spd, White -- DD
Morpheus

Post by Morpheus »

as long as you're

a) not charging money
b) not doing something dumb, ie blocking the road or trying to right a flipped over car
c) not helping someone who is obviously intoxicated

they shouldn't give you a hard time, unless they're being total tard-heads

I've stopped and helped many people at the side of the road change flat tires, etc.. never been harrassed.

Snafu

Post by Snafu »

Too many tard-heads but I'll stop to help especially out here on the country roads just to make sure things are okay or if they need a hand.
Worlds Greatest Acronym:

Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Good, great information guys. Where do you guys attach to on cars when recovering? Adam said he used the control arm, is that ok?

2 Years (don't think it was last year) ago my cousin got in the ditch, even with the snow tires I had just sold her from the 626, I know they worked awesome when I had them. She even managed to get on the news, haha.
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
Simon

Post by Simon »

Personally, I wouldn't use the control arm, unless I absolutely had to.

There should be a tow point on the rear of most cars. Some are more visible than others.
Scotto
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2006
Tim's: L Reg

Post by Scotto »

OK, I'll jump in.

Good questions, Mike - and great responses so far, so it's just a cent and a half that I'm really adding.

The shorter the tow strap the better. The ones we use on the trail are too long on the road - the angles are wrong. Just keeps the car dragging down the ditch. Double up your off-road strap - even connect the two ends to the car and run the strap through your d-shackle. Not acceptable on the trail, but from out of a ditch it will work. Or purchase a shorter strap. You'll also need some small d-shackles to fit onto his car (see below.)

Cars are a bugger to pull. The fronts usually have some type of plastic wind barrier that is at, or just below the tow attachment, and the rear is similar. The angle created with that point, the tow strap, and your lifted truck up on the road will likely cause some damage. If I feel that damage is likely, I won't pull the car. I'll drive the dude to town, and I'll say something like, "Geez, bummer I didn't bring any gear..." so that he won't argue with me. Never give him the chance to say he doesn't care about wreaking the bumper, because when his insurance won't cover the damage from the pull, he will track you down... As you know, those little plastic bits are really expensive.

As for the tow-hook on a car: it's usually not a hook like we have, it's a closed loop, meant for attaching a metal hook and tying the car down during transport. You should be able to get a smaller d-shackle attached to the tow-loop, and then to your strap - but space gets really tight. And - of course - load ratings fall with those little d-shackles. I happen to have a strap with metal hooks (again, something I would never use on a trail...) The hooks have those little safety springs on them to keep them from falling off. Sort of like the hooks on the end of winch lines, but the hooks are smaller. The tow-loops on cars are surprisingly small. That's why guys attach to control arms or some such thing - their off-road recovery strap won't go through those little tie-down loops. I wouldn't do that. Too much risk in breakage.

You have to instruct the driver of the car on what to do. They like to floor it (which is really nice when they finally break free...) They steer all over the place. Some even think they should throw it into reverse and help you out by trying to rock the car. You have to tell them about all this. Because they will do it. Best thing seems to be to tell the driver to begin by steering straight, with some throttle, then as momentum builds try to steer the car gently up onto the road.

You need spotters to watch the car.

And it won't be a short little pull. By the time you're set up, warned the driver of how you're going to damage his car, taught him some basic driving techniques, and hauled him out, you're looking at 30-45 minutes. You'll be cold and wet.

Longer post than anticipated. Sorry.

Scott
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

I forgot about your winch part of the question.

On the Jeep I have a winch - and I just use it as a tow strap when trying to drag a car out of snow. Attach it to the guy and then back up. If you try to use the winch to pull him out, your truck will just slide across the snowy road.
Adam

Post by Adam »

I know you're not supposed to use the control arm but it was a friends car and they couldn't find the screw in tow thing the vw's have.

I used to use chains before (yes I know, wrong) I knew about straps. So yeah, don't use chains!

Simon

Post by Simon »

Geoffrey wrote:I forgot about your winch part of the question.

On the Jeep I have a winch - and I just use it as a tow strap when trying to drag a car out of snow. Attach it to the guy and then back up. If you try to use the winch to pull him out, your truck will just slide across the snowy road.
This can work but is has to be VERY controlled. If you start shocking the winch cable, there can be all sorts of badness come of it, from winch failure to cable snapping.
Scotto

Post by Scotto »

You use a cable with your winch? I use my superhero powers. Far better.

(That and synthetic line...)