Worst Selling Cars In 2010

General Chat about the forum, it's members & their trucks.
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Worst Selling Cars In 2010

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Yep, the Xterra made the list, but so did the FJ, which actually sold less than the Xterra

http://autos.sympatico.ca/photos-videos ... da-2010/10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

#21 - Nissan Xterra: 895
Year-over-year change: +7.9%
As one of three former Motor Trend SUV Of The Year victors (along with the Volkswagen Touareg and Mazda CX-9), the Nissan Xterra is set apart by its status as a two-time winner. So what’s the Xterra doing in this group? Blame Nissan - the Xterra starts at $33,998, just $500 less than the more comfortable Murano - and blame customers who’d prefer soft-roaders over the genuine article.
Oh,and don't worry Pathy owners, you're not neglected either, well, technically you are, lol

http://autos.sympatico.ca/photos-videos ... ada-2010/4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
#27 - Nissan Pathfinder: 1140
Year-over-year change: +71.7%
Within Nissan’s fleet, the Pathfinder is worth a lowly 1.7% of the company’s Canadian sales. In the light of a Nissan showroom, the Pathfinder is seen in the shadow of the popular Murano, the small Rogue and smaller Juke, the hardcore Xterra, and the gargantuan Armada. There’s a sense of Middle Child Syndrome at play here.
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 2
Make/Model: Jeep JKUR
Year: 2013
Tim's: Med 2 milks 1 sugar

Re: Worst Selling Cars In 2010

Post by the x kid »

Dosent mean there bad vehicles.
amplifire
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2002
Tim's: med. reg.

Post by amplifire »

I know there a lot of market forces at work but I can't help but think that the fuel economy a major problem in terms of the weak sales. I would love to see a redesigned Xterra that is maybe a bit smaller, definitely lighter, and more efficient. Something more like a 1st gen, but with a more efficient but 200 hp-ish 4 banger or small 6. I don't think it is too likely though.
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

What is more sad is that a stock wd21 pathfinder gets better mileage than an r50 or r51 how is that for progress.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Probably not likely. Part of what makes the Xterra is it's design, and its design that gives it it's weight, but strength. The ladder frame and part-time FWD system with transfercase make up alot of it's weight. The unibody Pathfinder manages to come out 100lbs under the Xterra, despite being larger and more powerful. If you want an more economical Xterra, you can go down to the US and pick up a 4cyl RWD 1st gen Xterra, but it stil comes in at a hefty 3553lbs, and only 140hp

The only thing that would give you exactly what you want would be the Escape. My parents '02 comes with a 201hp V6, weights only 3100lbs. The new Escape starts at 3231lbs in FWD, but AWD comes in both V6 and 4cyl flavours, and the 4cyl is a decent 171hp. If you want something in that category but a nissan, could look into an Xtrail, you can do Hydroline in one ;)

In the end, we pay for our vehicles in poor economy to get their ability.
amplifire
Sparkplug
Sparkplug

Post by amplifire »

I meant it in terms of if they could work some nissan "design magic" and keep the frame and the transfercase, but make the vehicle slightly smaller and lighter than the current gen, and use advanced engine management to put a dent in the fuel economy numbers; not to escape levels mind you, but surely it could be improved. I was aware of the trade-offs in the vehicle before I purchased it, I'm not b*tching about it... I'm just saying if they want to keep selling them, as a consumer I wouldn't buy a new one, capability or not. Not that they are not awesome, it's just that fuel economy is more important to me now, and I don't think I'm alone on that. Plus I only buy used so my opinion doesn't matter to nissan anyway :-)
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Well, the 2nd gen is larger than the 1st, but managed to gain less than 100lbs, so making it as small as the first gen could yield something lighter. Oh needed, better fuel economy would be nice, especially right now I can barely even afford to even put gas in my truck some days.

I agree on engine management. I very confident that the one in the Supercharged truck is very inefficient and not happy that my truck literally has moods. She's on the pill (ie: resistor) but its still not a permanent, nor perfect, fix. At home point, I'm definitely going to get a wideband and a piggy-back, leaning towards a Haltech right now, but that's unfortunately a while away. I also think that more efficiency is just a larger motor. Putting in a small motor in a heavy vehicle just makes it work too hard. The 2011 Xterra and Pathfinder can get 28 and 27MPG. In Toyota, the FJ does 22, 4Runner 23 and the LandCruiser 18mpg. The Rav4 gets 28mpg. Considering Nissan's full frame SUV's are edging towards 30mpg, I tihnk they're doing quite well.
amplifire
Sparkplug
Sparkplug

Post by amplifire »

didn't the move to the VQ bring a lighter drivetrain? I recall reading that the engine itself is lighter than the VG series... Here's hoping that they do something awesome with the model, instead of just seeing the low sales numbers and canning it in favour of more crossovers. I know the potential is there.
Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Post by Simon »

Yes, the VQ is all aluminum, and the VG is iron/aluminum, but the transmission casing has been aluminum for years, and the only other weight savings is the front diff casing is aluminum.
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
Scotto
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2006
Tim's: L Reg

Post by Scotto »

Simon wrote:Yes, the VQ is all aluminum, and the VG is iron/aluminum, but the transmission casing has been aluminum for years, and the only other weight savings is the front diff casing is aluminum.

I suspect that the small weight saving is off-set considerably by the big-ass baby-boomer who can afford to purchase said truck :teeth:
morb
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Year: 2004
Tim's: DD

Post by morb »

If they're introduce the Diesel here it would a big difference.
bruteforce08
Lugnut
Lugnut
Year: 2001
Tim's: large 1 milk 2 sugar

Post by bruteforce08 »

Escape or I mean Escrappy garbage. Two of my relatives have them and they are junk,junk,junk. You can't take your family camping without a trailer, you have to leave the dog at home when you go away, and you have to leave the kids at home when you get groceries. The only thing they have going for them is they blow the doors off my first gen X in a race, unless you're on a trail....oh wait ,you'd never get down the access road to find the trails! :lol: .