I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Frontier CC SC
Year: 2003
Tim's: Large 1 milk

Exhaust with S/C

Post by studum »

I'm going to need to do my exhaust shortly. The one that's on the truck has been all hacked up and is leaking all over the place. I need to go from the y-pipe back. Now I'm debating whether I should do bolt on OEM replacement aftermarket (~$300 for y-pipe and muffler) or aftermarket cat-back.

I have found the Nismo system on fleabay for $430 shipped, plus ups bs fees. Or it's on 4x4 parts for $350 US plus unknown shipping.

The question is that the Nismo system is listed as not for S/C engines. Now I know it will fit because I'm under the impression that the exhaust from the N/A to the S/C are the same, so what makes it incompatible with the S/C?

Does it have to do with backpressure?
Ryan S. - Playing "keep it alive" with the Silver Spur.
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Re: Exhaust with S/C

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Actually I've been trying to schedule to get mine done this week. The muffler went last weekend and sometimes when I sit, fumes come into the cab. I've just been looking at getting an aftermarket 2.5" stainless with a Flowmaster Super44 Off-Road Muffler. They were suppose to call me back today,but haven't heard. I'm going to try to see what Midas in Pembroke says, but there's an awesome guy back home does that exhausts, but I'm just too far.

Weird, they quoted me almost $500 for an OEM replacement the muffler and pipe (didn't say y-pipe), I think I'll call around foreusre.
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
studum
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by studum »

Ya, when I first got the truck the exhaust was bad, but still on there. 2 days later the muffler was rattling like a marble in a coffee can so I paid $100 to have a cheapo muffler hacked in to hold me over. I believe I have more than a couple of leaking locations so looking to replace it properly now. The Y-pipe had been hacked up with a replacement flex welded in, but that is shot too. I just need to get everything proper from the cats back.

If it ends up being much more I will just do the cheapie bolt on replacement stuff. But if the Nismo is ok and it costs only $200 more I might run with that.
Jayman
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Year: 2002
Tim's: Double Double

Post by Jayman »

I'm about 99.99% positive they are the exact same from the cats back, so that's y-pipe on.

If you have to replace the y-pipe, you might as well go stainless. Any muffler shop worth it's weight in salt should be able to do a custom run of piping for you.

When I did Headers this past December, I took my truck to Master Performance in Brampton. They did custom 2.25" stainless piping from the headers all the way back to my Magnaflow for $500. They also put my high flow cats in for me as well.

Most of the after-market exhaust systems are bolt on from just after the y-pipe back. A true cat-back would include the y-pipe, and the additional cost as well.
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
studum
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by studum »

Yes, that's why i was looking at the Nismo, because it has the y-pipe and is stainless, and bolt on. I'm just not sure why it says it's not for S/C trucks, and if that really means anything or not.

The guy on ebay has it for $300US plus shipping. His normal shipping is UPS standard, but he's going to price shipping it to somewhere in Mississauga that may be cheaper. If I can get this for in the ballpark of $400 I think I will grab it. That will also save me the time and gas driving around for quotes. Will see how this turns out, if it ends up in the ballpark of $500 then I will wait and grab some quotes around town.
studum
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by studum »

Jay, I was just reading your post again - didn't realise that you went from the headers back. Was your muffler and the hi-flow cats included in that price? I can't see how it could be, but thought I would ask.
Jayman

Post by Jayman »

studum wrote:Jay, I was just reading your post again - didn't realise that you went from the headers back. Was your muffler and the hi-flow cats included in that price? I can't see how it could be, but thought I would ask.
No, I have had the muffler on my truck for about 5 years now. The headers and high flow cats were purchased from 4x4parts.com, and then installed by Master Performance.

Everything was custom from the headers back, so there was a bit of work involved, and I also had them rotate the muffler tip up so that it now sits closer to the rear quarter panel. The Magnaflow muffler tip points down at about a 45 degree angle, which I was never really happy with. Adding the body lift on my truck made things exponentially worse looking, so when it was in the shop for the exhaust work, I had them fix it.
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
studum
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by studum »

Ok thanks, I just want to make sure I'm comparing apples to apples when I start looking.

Looks like I can get the Nismo for $477 Can shipped ups standard plus whatever fees they have when it gets here from 4x4 parts.com

The same thing from the ebay seller is $440 Can shipped with the same service, still waiting to hear from him if he can offer a cheaper shipping service or one with brokerage included. Apparantly he has a bunch of them if anyone else is looking lol. A little reassuring is that he has 100% positive feedback with over 1,700 sales.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... K:MEWAX:IT

I'm just imagining getting raped with like $100 brokerage on top of the taxes, which for obvious reasons I'm not keen on. This is bad, because I really want it lol. Decisions, decisions.
Jayman

Post by Jayman »

You can always find a depot just across the border, and make a run down to pick it up yourself, save yourself the brokerage fees at the very least.
studum
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by studum »

Yes, I thought about this already. Shipping would be about half price too. I would have it ordered already if my passport wasn't expired :x Found that out last night.

I guess I gotta find out how long it takes to get a new passport. If I could pickup across the border I'd order it up right now lol. Anyone else with a passport need to make an order? lol
Jayman

Post by Jayman »

Passports take less then a week for the most part. If you go in person to your local passport office, you don't even have to leave any precious documents with them.

Just sayin'... :teeth:
studum
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by studum »

Well, I've downloaded the passport forms lmao. Going to look at filling them out tonight and getting my photo done somewhere, hopefully submit the forms in the next couple of days. Let's see where this takes me :teeth:

The ebay seller will sell it for $360US shipped in the US. He said he can ship it to a US address, but couldn't use paypal for that. Still trying to workout the details to see if this is possible.

4x4 parts it's $430US shipped to the US, so I'm trying to work it out with the ebay guy if I can.

I'm looking at using CBIUSA to receive and hold it for me. I've never used them personally, but I remember a bunch of guys from the Subaru club had recommended them a while ago. And they're open Saturday mornings for pickups now - which is when I'd need to go.

I'm really hoping I can get this to workout for me.
Jayman

Post by Jayman »

I'm sure you're all over it, but just be cautious about not being able to use Paypal. That always sends up a flag for me.

What was the reason he gave you for not being able to use Paypal?
studum
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by studum »

I think it's to do with his seller protection or something. I've added the US shipping address to ebay but he says it needs to be added to paypal for him to ship to it and pay with paypal. I can't ad a US address to paypal as a Canadian though.
Morpheus
Make/Model: Xterra
Tim's: 3x3

Post by Morpheus »

I've ordered from the USA using paypal before, with a registered and verified canadian address only.

I would be very cautious about this, as you have no recourse if you don't recieve your product.

If you have to, use a credit card, that way you still have your credit card company to protect you if you get F!'ed.
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676
studum
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by studum »

Oh yes, I am being very cautious with this especially it being my first time with a relatively major cross-border purchase.

He has actually been very good to deal with. He has stated the only way he can ship within the us due to his paypal setup is if I sent him a cashier's cheque or money order. I flat out told him that I wasn't willing to do that, and that unless he could ship it there with me paying via paypal or credit card that it wasn't going to work for me. I'd rather pay the extra $ and deal with 4x4parts at that point.

He has replied saying he wouldn't do it either, and that he is going to get a price shipped freight to a depot in Mississauga where I could pickup. Not sure how he can do that, but not to the us address but I'll wait to hear what he says before I do anything. Regardless the passport papers are going in tomorrow because I should have it anyways.

Estimated total cost shipped via UPS including brokerage and taxes etc. is in the ballpark of $550 CAN to my door. It's sad when shipping and gov't are almost as much as product. Still half descent IMO for a proper stainless cat-back, but pretty much at the point where I don't want to pay any more than that. 4x4 parts has no issue shipping to the US depot and that will cost $430US, but then I have taxes / duty at the border. Will only end up being about a $50 savings if i do things legit, then take gas out of there and it stops making so much sense lol (unless the exhaust will fit into my wife's accent, then gas isn't an issue).

Give me a few days I'll let you know what I end up doing.
studum
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by studum »

Well, I'm on the road to my first real mod lol. This is me spending my tax return a bit early while the dollar is high.

Mike from AC has been an absolute pleasure to deal with, and we were able to workout a deal close enough to the other guys that I don't mind spending a bit more to buy from him and have it shipped to the depot in the us where I can pick it up myself. I'll be saving enough $ to make it worth it, and I believe it will definitely be less than a custom system. It being bolt on is a plus IMO.

I'd be lying if I wasn't a bit excited. I really have to stop spending money on this truck lol. It's running so much better that it's addicting getting all the little things sorted out.
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

It's an addiction, in a little while it might look like this
Image:

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
studum
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by studum »

Haha, maybe in a couple of years. I have to get there before a kid comes that's for sure, because once that happens nothing will be happening with the truck lol.

Sitting here and thinking all afternoon I knew that the cracked manifold would really bug me once the exhaust was done so I started looking around. That and I don't want to change that cat if I don't have to...

Came across Rockauto in the US. Ordered a Dorman manifold for $52 shipped to the same spot that the exhaust is going to. I figured I might as well make it worth my while, the cheapest other manifold I could find in Canada is $130+taxes from autopartsway.ca (Dorman also). I'll pick htem both up at the same time.

I thought about ordering the walker 2nd cat delete pipes from ROckauto at the same time but really shouldn't spend the extra $100 right now. I've already pre-spent a couple of grand that I don't have LOL. I thought hard about headers, but don't want to get into them right now due to cost and the fact that the driver's side manifold and cat are both brand new.

Now I gotta get some more jobs with the truck to help pay for all this poop lol.
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

what do you do for a living maybe some people here could use your services lol.

I have headers waiting to go on but I bought them used off another member here. I try and do my mods without breaking the bank. Although if nismo made a nice exhaust like that for the pathy, I'd be tempted.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa