I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Frontier CC SC
Year: 2003
Tim's: Large 1 milk

Air Filter

Post by studum »

I know most of you are probably running a standard paper filter, just wondering if anyone has tried the Amsoil Dry air filters? I'm due for a filter change, and while I had planned on going K&N I've had them in the past and I'm not really keen on the oil and cleaning process, especially with how close the MAF is to the airbox in these trucks.

The Amsoil filter is supposed to have the same performance as any other filter out there, but you vacuum / blow it out to clean it and pop it right back in (which is what is most appealing to me) - no re-oiling kit needed. That, and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than the K&N as well. I got a price $45 all in to my door, about the same as 4 regular air filters.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eaa.aspx

Anyone? Most of you know I'm not really into the offroading that you guys are so this is 99.8% street use.
Ryan S. - Playing "keep it alive" with the Silver Spur.
Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Re: Air Filter

Post by Simon »

It's probably just fine. I've run K&N filters and stock filters and have noticed little to no difference in performance. If it's more convenient, and doesn't cost a bundle, I say throw it in!
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
Jayman
Make/Model: 4x4 Xterra - SC JE
Year: 2002
Tim's: Double Double

Post by Jayman »

Simon wrote:It's probably just fine. I've run K&N filters and stock filters and have noticed little to no difference in performance. If it's more convenient, and doesn't cost a bundle, I say throw it in!
And document anything of note...

We expect a full review, with a 1 month, 3 month, 6 month and annual update. We also expect to see fuel mileage comparisons, dyno sheet comparisons, and whether or not the installation of the new filter causes any pink fluffy unicorns, dancing on rainbows to spontaneously burst from your tail pipe because of it.

:P
CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
amplifire
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Make/Model: Xterra
Tim's: med. reg.

Post by amplifire »

I had the amsoil filter the last few years, works just fine, although I've never been satisfied with the cleaning process; it is difficult to get really clean, I always feel like it's still dirty. If you are a perfectionist this may be a problem. On the other hand, they are cheap enough to replace so it isn't a big deal. Sorry I don't have any oil analysis or anything.
studum
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by studum »

amplifire wrote:I had the amsoil filter the last few years, works just fine, although I've never been satisfied with the cleaning process; it is difficult to get really clean, I always feel like it's still dirty. If you are a perfectionist this may be a problem. On the other hand, they are cheap enough to replace so it isn't a big deal. Sorry I don't have any oil analysis or anything.
Hmm... Do you have the old style foam filter that needed oiled or is it the newer type that you vacuum / blow clean?

Jayman - I'd rather prefer if unicorns would stay out of my tail pipe :lol:
amplifire
Sparkplug
Sparkplug
Make/Model: Xterra
Tim's: med. reg.

Post by amplifire »

The new one... I tried both sucking and blowing, nothing works :x!
studum
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by studum »

Thanks, I'm just going to run to CT and grab a regular paper one if that's the case. That, I couldn't sleep last night for fear of the unicorns.
Jayman

Post by Jayman »

studum wrote:Thanks, I'm just going to run to CT and grab a regular paper one if that's the case. That, I couldn't sleep last night for fear of the unicorns.
This should help you sleep:

CNTC Pyro Team Captain. Signaling the International Space Station, one bucket at a time.
studum
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by studum »

Awesome, I watched that about 5 minutes ago (for some reason the whole thing too) and now the song is stuck in my head.
Jayman

Post by Jayman »

studum wrote:Awesome, I watched that about 5 minutes ago (for some reason the whole thing too) and now the song is stuck in my head.
Gotcha! :P: