Block Heater/Coolant Heater

Having problems with your Nissan truck? Search & post here!
medic
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Grand Cherokee
Year: 2014

Block Heater/Coolant Heater

Post by medic »

I've searched the forums and haven't found a good enough answer.

Getting ready for winter, I'm looking for a definitive answer with regards to the block heater and its efficacy. I’m looking for rapid heating of my truck, warm air flow, during the morning before work.

1.) What exactly does the block heater heat?
2.) Any issues having never used it before?
3.) Anyone ever use a circulation engine heater, engine hose heater etc…

Thanks for the help.
Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Re: Block Heater/Coolant Heater

Post by Simon »

Block heaters warm up the coolant. They're fairly trouble free as far as I know. Lots of diesels use them, and the came as original equipment on many gas vehicles as well.
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
01R50
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Jimmy
Year: 2001

Post by 01R50 »

Yup, just like Simon stated, it heats up the coolant in the engine block. It is pretty low tech as a block heater is just a heating element.

A circulation heater works in the same matter except that it installs on a coolant hose and uses a pump to push the heated coolant through the engine. They do work and many people install them, as they are generally easier to install than a block heater, but they have a few disadvantages. They are well known for the pump failing, which will cause the element only to heat the coolant in that hose. The pump is also prone to getting jammed with crap in the coolant over time. They are also more expensive than a regular block heater.

If possible I would recommend a regular block heater over the circulation heater. They are pretty straight forward to install (they require that you pop out a freeze-plug on the side of the engine block), and once installed they very rarely fail. They are also cheaper than a circulation heater. But if you don't want to or can't install one yourself, any standard garage can install one for you pretty easily.

As for issues once you have one installed, I can't really think of any. The only problems I could see is if you don't route the electrical cable properly and it ends up melting by sitting on something hot or it gets caught on a moving part. Though that could happen to any wiring in the engine compartment. Like I said before, they are pretty low-tech, so they is very little to go wrong.

Another suggestion for helping your engine start a lot better in very cold weather would be a oil pan heater. You can either get a magnet or permanent stick-on pad. Just pop it onto the oil pan and it heats up the oil. The magnet ones are good because you can put them on several different vehicles, but the stick-on pads gives out more heat (generally). I have these installed on several of my trucks. Just clean the oil pan of any oil and stick it on. They give you some extra adhesive to make sure it doesn't come off and to seal the edges. 125W is more than hot enough and after turning it on for 10-15mins the pad is so hot you can burn your hand if you put it on the pad for some reason.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4 ... ?locale=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is a pic of one installed on one of the military trucks:

Good luck in your install.
My 1988 Nissan Hardbody: http://www.cdn-ntc.ca/phpBB3/viewtopic. ... 45&p=63250
2001 Pathfinder SE - RIP
medic
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by medic »

Thanks for the detailed write up.

Luckily Canadian Xterras have block heaters installed prior to delivery so I'm good with respect to that. I've never used it, and am thinking that it's about time that I do!

Just wanted to make sure I don't destroy the engine or set the X on fire doing so,
Bow_Tied
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra P4X ZR2 Bison
Year: '15/20
Tim's: Medium DD

Post by Bow_Tied »

You should be fine if the wire is still where it should be and undamaged. Note that you'll need a circuit that can handle 15amps. I recommend a timer to save electricity costs... Again 15amp timer needed if you go that way.

Fwiw
I had the heater hose version in a beater car. Worked better than any block heater I have had heat wise.
#MoreRon

"Most of the members are people, but there are a few exceptions." - Miner
Dowser
Lugnut
Lugnut
Make/Model: Nissan Pathfinder
Year: 1995

Post by Dowser »

A word about those pad versions, Be careful not to get one that gets too hot, I've heard a few horror stories about oil getting baked on the pan where its mounted and creating some clumpy sludge on the inside of the pan. Other then that though, they work GREAT for manuals as well. Hell you can get some low power ones for the power steering pump even. I always cringe when I used to hear mine Whine in the morning as I was forcing all that cold fluid thru the pump. Poor pump.

One of the PLUS sides of the coolant versions as well is that you get Heat inside the cab instantly since the coolants already warm. With a block heater the engine oils warm, but all the coolant still needs to get up to temp before you start making heat.

One last thing that makes a Great difference was a Battery Blanket. No more worrying about your battery not having enough juice in the am just in case the vehicle isn't awake yet and doesn't want to get out of bed and come to life to drive you to work.
Scotto
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2006
Tim's: L Reg

Post by Scotto »

It's got to be on a timer - don't just plug your truck in the wall and walk away. There is a remote chance of fire if left plugged in for extended periods. Crappy Tire has a decent outdoor use timer specifically for block heaters. Set the thing to go on about 3 hours before you plan to leave.

I'm going to go out on a limb and take umbrage with young Dowser's comment that block heaters don't heat the coolant. It true that the coolant in the rad won/t warm up, but there is a significant amount of coolant in the engine (it's in the block). This coolant does warm up, and is very happy to share its warmth with you.
Dowser
Lugnut
Lugnut
Make/Model: Nissan Pathfinder
Year: 1995

Post by Dowser »

I'm just going from my own experience from using both in cold climates. My Wifes 2006 Tucson had a block heater and my 91 Pathy had a coolant style heater, Both on 2 seperate timers to go on 2-1/2 hours before we left in the morning. I'd get in, crank the heat and Voila.... Start defrosting the window and the heat would be coming right away. Whenever I took her Tucson, It would be blowing cold air for about 4-5 minutes. I've never bothered to take a look coolant lines going to the heater core, are they on the block side of the thermostat or the Rad side? I ask because maybe thats the reason why I found the coolant heater more effective for instant heat. I don't know for sure, just what I noticed, and when it's -45C outside you tend to notice that sort of thing. hahaha

And about those patch style, I was refering to them being on timers as well. If you take a cooking pot of engine oil, put it outside overnight in -20C or -30C, whatever, and in the morning put it on an electic stove and crank on the heat, yes it distributes the heat, but the part that pad is attached too starts to create some sludge because of the constant contact with the heat source just like while you're cooking something. At least that is what was explained to me from several automotive and heavy duty teachers at the College while I was there. That's not my direct experience with them, just what I was told.
Bow_Tied

Post by Bow_Tied »

Sorry dowsman, I gotta back Scotto on that one.

I do find the heater hose heaters build system heat better than the block heaters, likely due to circulation, but both heat the coolant.

EDit, ok you posted while I was typing. I think your experience is correct, just that the heater hose variant does pump circulation vs. convection/conduction of the block heater element.
#MoreRon

Adam
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

Does anyone know if you can still get one for a wd21 (the in block style I don't wanna cut my hoses)? My 95 never had one but I'd like one for the 94.

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
studum
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Make/Model: Frontier CC SC
Year: 2003
Tim's: Large 1 milk

Post by studum »

Adamzan, any descent parts store should be able to get you one.

Personally I don't mind waiting the 4-5 minutes for the heat with a block heater. It's better than 8-10 without it, and it's slow enough to warm up the inside so that the windshield doesn't get "temperature shocked". Busted a windshield once with full warm heat on a cold windshield. I wasn't too happy.
Ryan S. - Playing "keep it alive" with the Silver Spur.
Snafu
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Xterra S
Year: 2007
Tim's: Double milk - no sugar

Post by Snafu »

Bah, park it in a heated garage! :D

Oh look, something shiney!
Worlds Greatest Acronym:
A.D.O.S.S: Attention Deficit Oooooo Something Shiny! (thanks Simon!)

RIP - Keyser - July 2000 to September 2010 - hope we were as loyal to you as you were to us.
Nd4SpdSe
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 1
Make/Model: Pathfinder V8
Year: 2008
Tim's: Ice Cap Supreme

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Truck has a block heater, never used it. When I wanted/needed to, I never had a place to plug her in :(
2008 Nissan Pathfinder LE - VK56 V8 Power
2001 Nissan Frontier CC SB - Offroad Trailer
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 5-Speed Supercharged
Bow_Tied

Post by Bow_Tied »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:Truck has a block heater, never used it. When I wanted/needed to, I never had a place to plug her in :(
Plug it in to you 1750W invertor. :teeth:
#MoreRon

medic
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo

Post by medic »

Greetings all.

Rather than start a new threat, thought I'd piggy back off my old one.

I fished out the block heater plug and mounted it on the grille, got an extension cord, and ready to go for the cold snap about to come.

1.) How long can you leave the block heater plugged in? Can I plug it in overnight? I'd love to leave it plugged in until I need to leave, especially when I'm on-call and don't know when/if I will have to leave at a moment's notice.

2.) How long from being plugged in to reaching peak temp?

3.) Adverse effects of using the block heater?

4.) How do you know the block heater is functioning properly? (without spending $20 on a Plug Alive Block Heater/Outlet Tester)

Bow_Tied

Post by Bow_Tied »

1) In theory, you could leave it plugged in all night. To me, that is a waste of electricity. If you have random leave times, a timer that is on for 1-2 hours, off for 1 hour, repeated, might work. The duty cycle might be tweaked a bit depending (see #2).

2) Depends on the ambient temp and engine design such as alum vs iron block. I am expecting a 2-3 hours from cold?

3) I suppose there is a chance of fire if a cord shorted. That's it.

4) Try it. :) I would expect after an hour the block near the heater element would feel warm (if you can get your hand in there). You could also use a clamp meter to check amp draw.
#MoreRon

Scotto

Post by Scotto »

I used to use a timer. Now I just plug in and leave it all night. Mind you, I only plug in when it drops to -20 or more. I found with a timer, and those cold temps, that it needed to be set for a good 3-4 hours to warm up. So what's an extra couple hours?

Sent from my iThingy
buttsy
Make/Model: Xterra 4x4 SC
Year: 2004
Tim's: L 1c

Post by buttsy »

Well, quick math shows it would cost about $0.29 to run a block heater for 10 hours, using about 4kWh. This assumes a 400W block heater, and it's off peak (over night). If it's -30 I'll spend the 30 cents to be honest.

Scotto

Post by Scotto »

Yup.

Sent from my iThingy
Bow_Tied

Post by Bow_Tied »

Yeah, but with debt reduction surcharge and tax that's a lot... like $8000 or something.

I agree, I use timers to help balance the load on my garage circuits (2 15A breakers). Right now I have two block heaters and a magnetic heater on the go. Hopefully I don't burn the place down, lol.
#MoreRon