What's new & exciting on your truck?
canoe
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Xterra S
Year: 2005
Tim's: Coffee, 1 sugar

Tow Ratings and the Law

Post by canoe »

With all the custom rear bumpers around here - I'm looking into a project myself - anyone know what the rules are for non-tow rated hitches (built into custom rear bumpers)?

In the highly unlikely event of getting it inspected roadside - is there a fine or something for using a hitch you made yourself vs. the Draw-Tite??

Would appreciate the insight....
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 2
Make/Model: Jeep JKUR
Year: 2013
Tim's: Med 2 milks 1 sugar

Re: Tow Ratings and the Law

Post by the x kid »

Good question.
Simon
Make/Model: Nissan Maxima
Year: 2011
Tim's: XL COFFEE ! 1M 1S

Post by Simon »

Very good question, and I don't know. I have used my bumper mounted hitch to tow a trailer full of wood to AW, and to launch a boat, and have had no issues. That said, in terms of the legalities, I couldn't even guess. I do wonder, however, if it would be any different than some of the older trucks and SUVs that had bumper mounted hitches. I'd say unless it failed, I can't see anyone saying anything.
"CAUTION: Hot shovel in close proximity to my person"-Bow_Tied
canoe

Post by canoe »

I took a quick look at the HTA regs, and of course, trailers have very specific rules and parameters. But nothing on the hitch itself.

And really, unless you get pulled over and a very inquisitive constable decides to snoop around the hitch - its likely never an issue. But I wonder, given how highly regulated driving is.....

Has anyone here ever heard of custom bumper made at local fab shops failing somehow??

Ever since I was told by a fabricator I'd have to waive any liability against his hitch, I started thinking other than the obvious insurance issue, did anyone here ever have trouble with the police. I've never been asked about lights, and I have an array of 4 across the hood of my xterra.
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 2
Make/Model: Jeep JKUR
Year: 2013
Tim's: Med 2 milks 1 sugar

Post by the x kid »

You would think the hitch would be tow rated to the max. allowance of the vehicle.eg. 5,000lbs if it was say a ARB.
Morpheus
Make/Model: Xterra
Year: 2003
Tim's: 3x3

Post by Morpheus »

I would not expect any issues unless something happened, ie: the hitch failed, and your trailer hurt or killed someone.

As a regular roadside stop, the officer would have to be able to prove that the bumper and/or hitch was not built/welded by someone certified to do so.

On that note, if you are building a bumper, and plan to incorporate a trailer hitch, make sure you get someone that is qualified to weld it for you, if you dont already have the skills yourself
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676
canoe

Post by canoe »

Insurance aside, what do you mean by certified? You can be trained, certified in welding CNC. But to for example sell trailers that are certified by MOT for road-use you have to get an engineer to stamp the design, then each trailer gets a serial number and so on. I suspect it might be similar with hitch receivers as well. But again, this is all a question of liability and insurance.

The HTA is something else. Wonder if the MOT can answer the question...
Morpheus
Make/Model: Xterra
Tim's: 3x3

Post by Morpheus »

you can be certified as a welder (there are more qualified people on the board here that can answer that part of the question better than I can) I just meant for a custom bumper w/hitch, I would have a certified welder do the welding that will carry the weight of a trailer, weither they have the qualifications or not as far as the HTA is concerned for a trailer hitch is another matter. I certainly wouldn't trust my own splatter welds to hold a trailer hitch onto a bumper, but that's just my opinion.
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREY

Epic thread: http://www.cntc.ca/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3676
studum
I've used 4-lo
I've used 4-lo
Make/Model: Frontier CC SC
Tim's: Large 1 milk

Post by studum »

Simon wrote:I do wonder, however, if it would be any different than some of the older trucks and SUVs that had bumper mounted hitches. I'd say unless it failed, I can't see anyone saying anything.
As far as I know trucks with ball-mounts built into the bumper always come with a rating on them or in the owners manual. My truck has a spot to mount a ball directly in the bumper (and eye-lets for chains on the underside), you just have to punch out a circular piece of plastic on the step cover over top of it to put the ball in. I would have to double check what it is but I remember reading a specific rating for it somewhere, I believe it was 1,000 or 1,500 lbs (Class 1?) but would have to double check to be sure.

I never paid much attention to it because I have a hitch which gets used.

I would also tend to believe that you won't have a problem with it (inspections, etc) unless you have a problem with it (the thing falls off).

There's a custom hitch shop in town here. He fabricates his own hitches for pretty much any vehicle. I believe he sells them with a rating, but now sure if they're labelled or how he goes about with the rating.
Ryan S. - Playing "keep it alive" with the Silver Spur.