Ellis
I'm learning to use 4-hi
Reactions score: 0
Make/Model: Pathfinder
Year: 2000
Tim's: dbl dbl

pathfinder lift questions

Post by Ellis »

hey i was wondering if anyone knew if there was somewhere in ontario to order a lift kit
for a 2000 pathfinder the only real ones i saw were from 4x4 parts.com. or if there was a way that i could get the part numbers and such for all of the parts so i could simply order them from somewhere here individually??
01R50
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead
Make/Model: Jimmy
Year: 2001

Re: pathfinder lift questions

Post by 01R50 »

To put it simply. No. There is actually no one anywhere in Canada that sells the kits and only 2-3 places in the US that sell them.

Pathys (well Nissan's in general) are already not well supported in the aftermarket, so we are happy just to have those couple of sources for lifts.

You can buy things like the shocks and struts from any parts store, but the important stuff like the springs have to come from places like 4x4parts. I bought my kit for my 2001 pathy from 4x4parts and didn't have any problems with them.

Only other choice is to try and find a used set. Or get someone to build you a custom set of springs (which would likely be very expensive).

Here is the full kit:

My 1988 Nissan Hardbody: http://www.cdn-ntc.ca/phpBB3/viewtopic. ... 45&p=63250
2001 Pathfinder SE - RIP
Pezzy
Make/Model: Ford F150
Year: 2018
Tim's: Steeped Tea, 1/2 Sugar

Post by Pezzy »

/\ pretty much got you covered.

I have the lift from 4x4 parts too.
I my PATHFInDERs.
R.I.P. 99.5 Green Machine :cry:
Ellis
I'm learning to use 4-hi

Post by Ellis »

So the kit in that pic looks like it has extra stuff in it then the ones online....so how did you guys compress the springs newways? I didn't think the manual spring
Spring compresser would be strong enough to do the job? Or did you take it all in to a shop and have it assembled for you?...also did you get wheel spacers too or buy rims with enough negative backspacing?

Thanks for the input guys my entire suspension in my pathy is pretty much shot so I kinda wanna get on top of this
Adam
Reactions score: 3
Make/Model: Xterra SE SC
Year: 2002
Tim's: Medium Regular

Post by Adam »

I've helped on a couple r50 lifts, and both times, we used spring compressors. Things went together with no issues but I have put struts together before and so had the others who were there. I'm sure there would be some willing members to help you out if you need it, but probably not until it gets warmer out :P .

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -Frank Zappa
01R50
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by 01R50 »

Well there is stuff in the kit that you have to buy yourself. And would be cheaper for you to buy yourself then to buy it from 4x4parts.

You can use standard spring compressors to do the job like Adam said. Though I would recommend using two sets just to be sure. I did it with the help of a friend.

Old spring on the left, new one on the right:

Compressing the new spring:

Shows the difference compressed and not compressed:

Assembly is all put together and ready to uncompress the spring:

All installed:

Also like Adam said, I am sure someone will help you do it if you asked. You can also bring everything to a shop and get them to do it as well.

I had documented the installed in the thread for my pathy, but the pics are not working since I reorganized my photobucket account: http://www.cntc.ca/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2211
2001 Pathfinder SE - RIP
Ellis
I'm learning to use 4-hi

Post by Ellis »

hey thanks for the awesome pics.

do you know by chance what the addtional parts would be?... i just dont want to get started on this and then not be able to finish bcuz i was missing stuff.... and im also assuming that i would have to order a set of rims with back spacing or wheel spacers to then?
01R50
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by 01R50 »

Yeah I like to take a lot of pics.

I can dig up the list of parts needed. I have it posted somewhere (I think).

You don't need wheels with added backspacing. I used the stock wheels on my truck. But it would be better to get the new wheels as an increased backspacing will push the tires out and give you a wider stance. But it can wait unless you have the money to do it right now.
2001 Pathfinder SE - RIP
Ellis
I'm learning to use 4-hi

Post by Ellis »

yea that would be awesome if you could dig up that list, i looked a bit in the forums but didnt see anything lol. im just concerened about rubbing so im kinda undecided about wheel spacers or getting the rims but ill figure it out.
ITS EASIER TO ASK FOR FORGIVNESS THAN BEG FOR PERMISSION
01R50
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by 01R50 »

You are going to get rubbing no matter what you do. But the rubbing will be either from having the wheels turned completely to the left or the right. But that will only happen at slow speeds on the trail so damage will either be very minimum or nothing at all.

As I said before, I used stock wheels without problems. I only put on 31" tires, but I personally didn't see a need to put on anything bigger than 32". I drove everywhere all the other guys drove without a problem.

I personally would not put on spacers. For the price of spacers (~$200) you might as well spend the money on the off-set rims.
2001 Pathfinder SE - RIP
01R50
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by 01R50 »

Can't find the list. I swore I had posted it somewhere, but after looking for a bit I turned up nothing. But I do document just about everything, so I think I can still help you out.

From 4x4parts you can order:
-(#1)Front springs & rear springs sets
https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/pathfin ... -1550.html

-(#2)Camber kit (x2)
https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/camber- ... -2809.html

Here at home you can get the following:
-(#3)Rear shocks (x2)
I personally prefer Bilstein ones.
Part number: #F4-BE5-6216-H5

-(#4)Strut tower mounts (x2) (aka a strut mounting insulator) *do not buy the KYB ones as they are well known to have problems!
Nissan part number in the picture: #54320

-(#5)Strut bracket (x2)
Nissan part number in the picture: #54322

-(#6)Strut spacer (x2)
Nissan part number in the picture: #54329N

-(#7)Strut mount bearing (x2)
Nissan part number in the picture: #54325

-Stabilizer connection rods (x2)
Nissan part #14 in the manual schematics (don't have the part number).

-(#8)KYB GR-2 Struts (one left and one right)
Left part number: #KYX1612313
Right part number: #KYB1612246

-(#9)KYB Strut bellows/boots (x2)
Part number: #KYB1725797

This is the little diagram I got at the dealership when I ordered the parts:

From the manuals (so that you know what the parts are called and the what-not):

Last edited by 01R50 on Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2001 Pathfinder SE - RIP
01R50
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by 01R50 »

Just to give you an idea.

Pics of before and after the lift. On stock wheels with 31" BF All-Terrain tires:

Had only slight rubbing issues while on the trail when the tires were turned completely to one side. And it was just rubbing on the plastic inner fenders.

Later changed the wheels to one with a better off-set, and new tires, but still went with 31.4" tires. Still lots of room.

Could have likely fit 33" tires in there, but I was not interested. Wanting big tires doesn't mean that you actually "need" big tires. But naturally it is up to you.
2001 Pathfinder SE - RIP
dududuckling
Don't follow me, you wont make it.
Make/Model: Pathfinder SE
Year: 2002
Tim's: Iced Coffee

Post by dududuckling »

When living in Toronto, I got the front strut mounts and bearing from Nissan. Then I got the KYB struts and rear shocks from autopartsway.ca Free shipping haha...
2002 Nissan Pathfinder SE
2000 Nissan Pathfinder SE
the x kid
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reactions score: 2
Make/Model: Jeep JKUR
Year: 2013
Tim's: Med 2 milks 1 sugar

Post by the x kid »

dududuckling wrote:When living in Toronto, I got the front strut mounts and bearing from Nissan. Then I got the KYB struts and rear shocks from autopartsway.ca Free shipping haha...
What is a kid doing up so early on a Saturday! :confuse:
Ellis
I'm learning to use 4-hi

Post by Ellis »

that is awesome guys that tells me everything that i needed to know, just the parts that can be ordered from here alone will save me a ton in shipping and handling
01R50
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by 01R50 »

No problem.

I wish I had a list when I did it. It took a few trips to Nissan to get everything as I only found out after I picked up some parts that I needed others.

Another thing you also might need is new stabilizer connection bars (#14 in the schematics from the manual). The bolts holding them on usually will not want to come off due to all the rust and you will end up busting the rubber insulator when you try. I ended up having to cut them off and getting new ones. Luckily the local Nissan dealership had them in stock so I didn't have to wait. They are not very expensive and is probably worth just ordering a set while you are at Nissan ordering the other parts. I will edit the parts list up above and add that to the list. Though I don't have the part number.

BTW, the cost for putting the lift on the truck will end up costing around $1,500 when all is set and done (not including tires/wheels). You can try and reuse more of your parts in the strut assembly to save money. But while it might work now, it doesn't mean it will last much longer under the strain of the new system. I paid the extra money and got all those parts so that I wouldn't have to rip everything apart again later on. Plus I knew I would be good for many years to come.
Last edited by 01R50 on Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2001 Pathfinder SE - RIP
Ellis
I'm learning to use 4-hi

Post by Ellis »

thats awesome i was expecting it to be around that much neways plus i was gonna order all of the bushing kits from 4x4 parts neways cuz id rather just replace everything while its all apart. and well as tires and wheels go i wont bother with the rims right now if you think stock will get me by for now and the tires i have for now will do to they're 255/65/16 general grabber at2's and i just picked them up about 3 months ago so far i love them and have found them to be more aggressive than i thought they would be even though i doubt they are a very popular tire in your books lol. thats the link if you wanna have a look and tell me if you think they'll cut it http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... abber+AT+2
01R50
Wrenchhead
Wrenchhead

Post by 01R50 »

As long as you are running AT's you should be fine. That's what I ran and I didn't have a problem on the trails. Plus it will be good for road use as well if you are using the truck as a daily driver.

Save up and get some wheel and tires later on. Maybe you will be able to find a good used set for cheap.
2001 Pathfinder SE - RIP
Scotto
Make/Model: Xterra Off Road
Year: 2006
Tim's: L Reg

Post by Scotto »

Pezzy has never had aggressive tires - usually some AT things. You look at them and go, "Ah geez, this is going to be a long day." And she runs the trails better than anyone else in the club.

It's not the tire, it's the driver.
HolidayNation
Make/Model: Xterra XE stick
Year: 2004
Tim's: 60oz BEER please

Post by HolidayNation »

Geoffrey wrote:Pezzy has never had aggressive tires - usually some AT things. You look at them and go, "Ah geez, this is going to be a long day." And she runs the trails better than anyone else in the club.

It's not the tire, it's the driver.

TRUE, although, I need the sneakers to keep up.... ;)
(FOG MEMBER)-FRIENDS OF GEOFFREYs WITHOUT BATS]- :)
Where's Slawek?........... Crunch?
Aerosols may be depleting the ozone, but warning labels are depleting the gene pool
OF4WD-5557